rllmuk
Isaac

Super Mario Maker 2 - Out Now (Forum Course List in First Post)

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

Anyone else found the lag in the multiplayer absolutely unbearable?

Have downloaded a load of courses from here to try tomorrow. 

Yeah, totally. :( I’ve only had two playable games out of 10, despite having 4 bars in match making. Which is a complete bummer, as the few times it did work it was super fun! 

On 12/07/2019 at 17:57, Foxworth said:

Sorry guys. Made a bit of a tough one. This is mostly designed by my 7 year old child who likes to challenge me with brutal courses. 

So enjoy... Or don't. 

Ninja speed run: GY8-12N-KFF

God, that was tense. Great level, has a good flow and rhythm to it, and just the right length for a hard speedrun level.

I made it through... Just.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DCHAMPX said:

Got my first course up and running - would appreciate your thoughts!

52K-32T-SNG

Too difficult for me. I’m not sure if there’s a checkpoint flag but I certainly didn’t make it to one. 

The individual bits are clever but it’s finicky so getting back to where you got stuck is only slightly less of a pain in the backside than getting there in the first place. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Too difficult for me. I’m not sure if there’s a checkpoint flag but I certainly didn’t make it to one. 

The individual bits are clever but it’s finicky so getting back to where you got stuck is only slightly less of a pain in the backside than getting there in the first place. 

Thanks. Yeah it can be a pain... I had to complete it to upload and the randomness of the Bowser fire raining down can be frustrating. No checkpoints but still do-able!

I would like to make an 'easy mode' with a checkpoint so that the mechanics can be gotten used to... I've copied the level and made he changes, but I can't upload it as the game is under the impression it's still the first level - any help?

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Anyone else found the lag in the multiplayer absolutely unbearable?

Have downloaded a load of courses from here to try tomorrow. 

If you manage to get out of D rank it improves a bit, you only need one person in the match with a shit connection to ruin it for everyone, and those people don't get very far. I'm in C rank and more matches than not are ok, and I've heard it gets better in the higher ranks.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pixelbark said:

God, that was tense. Great level, has a good flow and rhythm to it, and just the right length for a hard speedrun level.

I made it through... Just.

Thanks for playing. I've managed to make it through in just over 20 seconds so there's quite a bit of time that can be made up using various baddies and jumps. Unfortunately I don't think you can claim your own world record time on your own course sadly.

Just seen @joffocakes has managed to best me. 19 and a bit seconds. How did you manage that? 

52 minutes ago, Foxworth said:

Just seen @joffocakes has managed to best me. 19 and a bit seconds. How did you manage that? 

Got it just under 19 after another couple of attempts. Theres a bit with floating platforms where I didn't go to the top; you can skip under the highest one with a short hop and spin. Other than that it's just maintaining full speed.

• Upvote 1

Ok so making levels is too addictive... Put a few hours into recreating the original Resident Evil (kind of...). Much easier this time round, I promise!

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. Let me know what you think.

3K9-9WC-3FG

vW3pCvj.jpg

• Upvote 1

Spent several hours on this one! C15-VVF-JMF

It's a tricky speedrun level , with indications ( Z means spin) but as long as you keep moving it's not really unfair.

On 12/07/2019 at 17:57, Foxworth said:

Sorry guys. Made a bit of a tough one. This is mostly designed by my 7 year old child who likes to challenge me with brutal courses. 

So enjoy... Or don't. 

Ninja speed run: GY8-12N-KFF

Wow. What a level. Simple but so damn satisfying to clear quickly. Put in a few hundred attempts...

gg7nNIo.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot @DCHAMPX. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll do my best to upload some more in future. I do quite enjoy levels like these myself and finding that rhythm to the course to make a run like you just have. Shame there is no way of viewing the world record time. I'd love to see how you shaved so much time off this.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, shame the switch doesn't have a record function like the PS4 otherwise I would have uploaded it.

They key was to just keep moving and not slow down. My original clear was about 21 seconds, so shaving off so much time seemed impossible at first.

@Foxworth so decided to record myself trying to match the same pace. Only 7 minutes in and I got it - slightly slower as I fudged the ending, so can definitely be done quicker.

EDIT - And just like that, it's been smashed :o

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

You can hold the capture button to record the last 30 seconds of gameplay on Switch but its 30fps and heavily compressed. All I want from a Switch Pro is native res video capture at 60fps for at least 30 minutes, and streaming capabilities.

Also I beat your record again by a little bit if you wanna have a crack at it.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

You can hold the capture button to record the last 30 seconds of gameplay on Switch but its 30fps and heavily compressed. All I want from a Switch Pro is native res video capture at 60fps for at least 30 minutes, and streaming capabilities.

Also I beat your record again by a little bit if you wanna have a crack at it.

Ahhh, good to know.

Also, might want to check the record again :P

XPUbXVV.jpg

I'm done now - if you beat it, fair play you deserve it.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, DCHAMPX said:

Ahhh, good to know.

Also, might want to check the record again :P

XPUbXVV.jpg

I'm done now - if you beat it, fair play you deserve it.

Ok! Got 18"580! I dont see me saving much beyond that!

• Upvote 2

Unbelievable. This is what makes 2d Super Mario so great.  Just tiny changes in playstyle can do so much. Thank you @joffocakes and @DCHAMPX for making both mine and my son's day. He'll be overjoyed in the morning seeing his creation getting this kind of attention.  It really shows just how intuitive both the Mario physics and the 'making' aspect are. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

I think the shine on this is starting to fade a little for me. Building courses is extremely immersive but it's a bit unsatisfying when you spend hours on them and then you don't get much feedback, or people don't seem to play them very much. This is especially annoying when I'd say that half the levels I play in the top 100 popular courses are fairly unremarkable, without wanting to sound bitter.

Playing courses is similarly hit and miss. Some are fantastic but I'd say the ratio of good to crap is about 1 to 5, and regardless of the quality of the levels, playing endless challenge still feels aimless by its very nature.

I'm going to spend a bit more time on the story mode, I think, and see if that can rekindle my interest. I've got lots of ideas for levels I'd like to build but it always seems to take me hours for limited returns and I'm not sure I can be bothered.

So, I was going to make a nice 3D World level, but it just wasn't happening, so I made this creepy thing instead. Mario goes for a nice hike in the mountains, but ends up falling into a dark and eldritch pit... I underestimated how much work it would take to do a vertically scrolling level without having the player bump their head on unseen obstacles, so it took hours to get right. I'd say it's moderately hard, shouldn't trouble anyone here too much but will probably end up with about a 10-20% clear rate.

Oubliette

H77-GJT-4PF

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I think the shine on this is starting to fade a little for me. Building courses is extremely immersive but it's a bit unsatisfying when you spend hours on them and then you don't get much feedback, or people don't seem to play them very much. This is especially annoying when I'd say that half the levels I play in the top 100 popular courses are fairly unremarkable, without wanting to sound bitter.

Playing courses is similarly hit and miss. Some are fantastic but I'd say the ratio of good to crap is about 1 to 5, and regardless of the quality of the levels, playing endless challenge still feels aimless by its very nature.

I'm going to spend a bit more time on the story mode, I think, and see if that can rekindle my interest. I've got lots of ideas for levels I'd like to build but it always seems to take me hours for limited returns and I'm not sure I can be bothered.

It’s about 95% there for me, and it’s really missing some kind of curation from Nintendo themselves - playlists, level packs, themed weekly design competitions etc. That extra 5% would make such a difference. As it is, discovering great levels is too hard. Even some kind of online site where you can view info about levels and add them to your playlist on the console would be good, and make browsing and sharing levels online a lot easier.

It has made me get off my arse and order New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe though! A truly brilliant game that I’m looking forward to playing on the Switch.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Paulando said:

It’s about 95% there for me, and it’s really missing some kind of curation from Nintendo themselves - playlists, level packs, themed weekly design competitions etc. That extra 5% would make such a difference. As it is, discovering great levels is too hard. Even some kind of online site where you can view info about levels and add them to your playlist on the console would be good, and make browsing and sharing levels online a lot easier.

It has made me get off my arse and order New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe though! A truly brilliant game that I’m looking forward to playing on the Switch.

Yeah, the online is pretty limited. Hopefully they'll do something in the future. The game is only a few weeks old still, after all. And I know what you mean about the game making you appreciate other platformers more. I've gone from having no interest in NSMBU to being on the active lookout for it.

And despite my post above, I did then go on to spend three hours last night exchanging and playing levels on Reddit, so it's obviously doing something right. It's just a shame that the game doesn't support this kind of thing itself and you have to use a third party website.

10 hours ago, David Heath said:

Had a great evening playing all the levels from here.

Then decided to slay myself with this.

This looks so hard, but i just wanted to say how lovely the music is in this level. Its such a chilled out and relaxed tune.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah, the online is pretty limited. Hopefully they'll do something in the future. The game is only a few weeks old still, after all. And I know what you mean about the game making you appreciate other platformers more. I've gone from having no interest in NSMBU to being on the active lookout for it.

And despite my post above, I did then go on to spend three hours last night exchanging and playing levels on Reddit, so it's obviously doing something right. It's just a shame that the game doesn't support this kind of thing itself and you have to use a third party website.

The problem i seem to have with playing levels is that there is no aim. In a regular Mario game you have the set worlds, the 'mission' of rescuing the princess, the different themes, but in this, you play one level, and that's it. There's not even any point collecting coins or anything really. 

I know the joy is in playing something unique, and interesting, and i do love finding a great level, but it does all seem a bit aimless. I'm really surprised they didn't add in an option to create a 'world' where you can add individual levels to a map (like Mario 3/Mario world). Maybe in future updates......

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

And despite my post above, I did then go on to spend three hours last night exchanging and playing levels on Reddit, so it's obviously doing something right.

Oh absolutely, it’s brilliant. Such a powerful tool that’s so easy to use. And I have no doubt there’s hundreds, if not thousands, of incredible levels designed already. But while it has just come out, it’s been almost four years since the first game was released and we’re now being charged for the online service, so on that basis it is disappointing we’re still swapping level codes.

• Upvote 1