rllmuk
Isaac

Super Mario Maker 2 - Out Now (Forum Course List in First Post)

I haven’t played as much of MM2 as I did the first one, but even by this early stage I remember there were a fair bit more utterly shite levels being posted in the original compared to now. Anyone else feel similar?

I also haven’t built or uploaded a stage yet, I just can’t muster the energy or the creativity. I think I spend all those juices in my line of work so by the time I sit down with Mario Maker, I just want to play. It’s been getting me down :( 

• Empathy 1

I struggle to think of courses to make. I've made 3 (average) ones, and cant seem to get my creative juices flowing to produce another one.

I do have the odd idea now and then, but then the realisation kicks in that its going to take hours to make.

Still bloody love the game though ^_^

46 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

I play endless on Normal. I found Easy to be too easy, in the sense that I'll never run out of lives -- there are also a lot of "My 5 year-old's first courses" and auto courses. Normal is better, although I must say that some tough courses can come up in Normal that I think should be in Expert -- I've even seen shell-jumping and tough speedrun stuff come up in Normal, and that's not right. It can be tough to get a run started with 5 lives if some of those tough courses come up first.

Have you tried the Expert and Super Expert ones? In my experience Normal is totally random at the moment and they're not that much harder, and you get a lot more lives to balance it out. Normal seems to give me a lot of levels with very few plays which must skew the logic they've got for the selection.

@Calashnikov and @cohen205, I find the story mode quite inspiring. Each course essentially introduces you to a different mechanic in its most basic form and makes you think about all the possibilities. Courses don't have to take hours and hours, either. The best ones are normally those which aren't too crowded and which just focus on one core mechanic, gradually building in challenge.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

@Calashnikov and @cohen205, I find the story mode quite inspiring. Each course essentially introduces you to a different mechanic in its most basic form and makes you think about all the possibilities. Courses don't have to take hours and hours, either. The best ones are normally those which aren't too crowded and which just focus on one core mechanic, gradually building in challenge.

Yeah, I’m loving story mode. I also have Mario Maker 3DS, and found the story mode equivalent in there really inspired me and had me hyped for creating on Maker 2, but I just haven’t mustered the energy or time yet. Maybe when the nights draw in and the weather gets worse?

I put 100+ hours into level creating on Wii U MM1, maybe I just burnt myself out?

Still loving the game, however. You could spam a limited group of objects and items around the play area and it would still be fun to play. I even enjoy just running and jumping around the seemingly randomly generated background levels that pop up on the title screen :) 

Just now, Calashnikov said:

Yeah, I’m loving story mode. I also have Mario Maker 3DS, and found the story mode equivalent in there really inspired me and had me hyped for creating on Maker 2, but I just haven’t mustered the energy or time yet. Maybe when the nights draw in and the weather gets worse?

I put 100+ hours into level creating on Wii U MM1, maybe I just burnt myself out?

Still loving the game, however. You could spam a limited group of objects and items around the play area and it would still be fun to play. I even enjoy just running and jumping around the seemingly randomly generated background levels that pop up on the title screen :) 

I've saved a few from the title screen as they have been pretty decent. It loaded up onto a really good Koopa Kart course yesterday, so i added it to the coursebot. It means i can tinker around with it at my leisure.

2 hours ago, Yasawas said:

Have you tried the Expert and Super Expert ones? In my experience Normal is totally random at the moment and they're not that much harder, and you get a lot more lives to balance it out. Normal seems to give me a lot of levels with very few plays which must skew the logic they've got for the selection.

I might be in the same boat. Easy is too easy, but Normal can have levels that, while not outright hard, take a few lives to work out the trick. Get two of those in a row, and the run is short!

I've not been brave enough for Expert. 

On the Celeste scale of hardness, how hard on average is Expert?

I got my first "Nintendo Code of Conduct violation" email today. They don't tell you what comment got you in trouble, but I know for a fact I've never been insulting or used vulgar words. Apparently this is very common - as soon as some precious diddums gets a critical comment he hits the "report" button, and Nintendo's automated system does the rest.

I think the most critical comment I ever left was: "Meowser fight in a locked room with spawning fire-flowers: cliche." and I only left that comment because it was funny how I'd just been reading a thread on Reddit about how boss battles in sealed rooms with spawning fire flowers are very groan-worthy, especially if it's Meowser, because Meowser is not designed for sealed rooms. Meowser is the only boss in the game who can chase you through a course and that's what he's designed for.

Now I'm too scared to leave critical comments, which is a shame. You should have the right to be critical. Someone drew the words "Your level is bad & not fun" at the start of one of my courses... and I'm leaving it there. Fair enough, man.

• Empathy 2

1 hour ago, SqueakyG said:

I got my first "Nintendo Code of Conduct violation" email today. They don't tell you what comment got you in trouble, but I know for a fact I've never been insulting or used vulgar words. Apparently this is very common - as soon as some precious diddums gets a critical comment he hits the "report" button, and Nintendo's automated system does the rest.

I think the most critical comment I ever left was: "Meowser fight in a locked room with spawning fire-flowers: cliche." and I only left that comment because it was funny how I'd just been reading a thread on Reddit about how boss battles in sealed rooms with spawning fire flowers are very groan-worthy, especially if it's Meowser, because Meowser is not designed for sealed rooms. Meowser is the only boss in the game who can chase you through a course and that's what he's designed for.

Now I'm too scared to leave critical comments, which is a shame. You should have the right to be critical. Someone drew the words "Your level is bad & not fun" at the start of one of my courses... and I'm leaving it there. Fair enough, man.

That's pretty shit.

Sorry guys. Made a bit of a tough one. This is mostly designed by my 7 year old child who likes to challenge me with brutal courses. 

So enjoy... Or don't. 

Ninja speed run: GY8-12N-KFF

Discovered nabuz's courses today, they're really good: m5c-c5y-hpg (not at all hard but really charming and well thought out)

Liked this one too: 5td-kcp-tvg

So is online multiplayer still a laggy mess for everyone? Out of ten games, only one was playable and one playable for most of it. I saw a streamer saying it was your own fault if you were getting laggy games and all his were fine?  My ping seems to be fine on the router and on fortnite when I checked it earlier. 

14 hours ago, Jamie John said:

@GokouD has made the rankings again:

D_Qq3gfVAAEfYo4?format=jpg&name=large

Kudos! I'm definitely not envious at all...

Cool, I thought it had had a lot of plays. It seems to have dropped out now, trying to get likes out of the general playerbase is like trying to get blood out of a stone <_<

Thanks for all the nice feedback from everyone who played it, appreciate it!

This got an Edge 8. Lost a bit of the first’s silliness and doesn’t fit the hardware as well as the WiiU are the main complaints. 

Seems fair enough, I suppose. 

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

This got an Edge 8. Lost a bit of the first’s silliness and doesn’t fit the hardware as well as the WiiU are the main complaints. 

Seems fair enough, I suppose. 

Each to their own I guess, I've put in 50 hours in the last 2 weeks and I'm still having as much fun as I did in day 1. I'd give it a 10.

• Upvote 3

It really is crack. I stayed up till 2am last night just noodling about in creator mode and before I knew it I was constructing a hugely elaborate level, despite telling myself that the next one I made would be minimalist.

• Upvote 1

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but there’s loads of stuff I’ve found while playing that I can’t find in the Maker. 

For example:

lLjN7xk.jpg

I go into the same theme but can’t get my platforms to look like that, have no idea what the black things are, and the thing I’m standing on looks like a mushroom platform but I don’t know how he’s done the black dots and the little pipe on the right connecting them. 

Then you go go through a pipe and it’s a night theme with stars scrolling part and I can’t find that theme at all. 

Same goes for the flower power up that lets you shoot a bouncing ball rather than fire. :wacko:

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but there’s loads of stuff I’ve found while playing that I can’t find in the Maker. 

For example:

lLjN7xk.jpg

I go into the same theme but can’t get my platforms to look like that, have no idea what the black things are, and the thing I’m standing on looks like a mushroom platform but I don’t know how he’s don’t the black dots and the little pipe on the right connecting them. 

Then you go go through a pipe and it’s a night theme with stars scrolling part and I can’t find that theme at all. 

Same goes for the flower power up that lets you shoot a bouncing ball rather than fire. :wacko:

Not a stupid question, that's all pretty advanced stuff. The black is just ground blocks in the SMB Airship theme. Likewise the mushrooms are mushroom platforms but they look metallic in that theme. The pipe and flag are random surface decorations that you get on ground blocks, but you can copy and paste them once it spawns one. The creator has overlaid the mushrooms on ground blocks with those decorations so it looks like they're on the mushroom.

The night themes are unlocked by placing an angry sun and switching it to its alternate moon form. You only need to do this once, then you'll have a night/ day switch on the theme selector tab.

Edit* The bouncing flower is only in SMB style, and I think you have to 100% story mode to get it, I haven't done it yet though. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2019 at 13:52, Jamie John said:

Can't you just skip levels that are too hard with no penalty?

Sure. But I don’t find the problem with “normal” levels is that they are too hard. It’s more that they can often take 2-3 lives (or more) to work out their tricks. With 5 starting lives, that’s not much leeway. 

The last run I had, the first level I played spat a spiky shell at you immediately so you died if you didn’t jump straight away. Stuff like that doesn’t make a level hard, but it does mean you might die before you learn what to do. 

Any game where you die before you can tell what you’re supposed to do is bad game design. I think, theoretically, any level or game you should be able to complete first time.

I suppose there are caveats where actually dying is built into the game but that’s few and far between.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GokouD said:

Not a stupid question, that's all pretty advanced stuff. The black is just ground blocks in the SMB Airship theme. Likewise the mushrooms are mushroom platforms but they look metallic in that theme. The pipe and flag are random surface decorations that you get on ground blocks, but you can copy and paste them once it spawns one. The creator has overlaid the mushrooms on ground blocks with those decorations so it looks like they're on the mushroom.

The night themes are unlocked by placing an angry sun and switching it to its alternate moon form. You only need to do this once, then you'll have a night/ day switch on the theme selector tab.

Edit* The bouncing flower is only in SMB style, and I think you have to 100% story mode to get it, I haven't done it yet though. 

Thanks! I don’t think I saw the airship theme, but will have a look again later. 

Just went through the credits of the game for finishing single player and don’t think Miyamoto’s name was there. Amazing that he’d have no involvement whatsoever in a Mario game. 

New one from me:

"Liberate the Goomba Slaveship!" (RPG-KT7-6WG)

Can Mario save the goombas from the koopas and their twisted experiments?

D_Yp7NDUcAAWtH4?format=jpg&name=large

D_Yp7NMU8AAQ8nb?format=jpg&name=large

D_Yp7NHU8AALn__?format=jpg&name=large

I sort of made this one up as I went along. It started off as a fairly regular airship level, but then I noticed that the music was a bit James Bond-y, so then I thought about doing an MGS-style secret airship infiltration level, and then from there I somehow got to...goomba slaveship and evil koopa scientists?

Hmm. Anyway, it's taken me sodding hours and is my first stab at environmental storytelling (to the extent that this can be done in a Mario level, anyway), so have a play and see what you think! It shouldn't be too difficult and I've included two checkpoints.

I'm looking forward to trying out everyone else's levels that I've neglected over the last few days while I've been stuck in the course-creation rabbit hole.

• Upvote 4