rllmuk
Isaac

Super Mario Maker 2 - Out Now (Forum Course List in First Post)

Just amazing!

It wouldn't be the end of the world but I hope they keep some of the (discovered) contraption mechanics in from SMM1 - or alternatively easier solutions to achieve the same thing. I suppose even if they don't I bet people will find new ones.

This was the best thing on the WiiU, and despite that console having been boxed up for 2 years, I still watch Mario Maker stuff on Youtube. If this launches an even bigger wave of level creation and community stuff - which, surely, surely it must - it's going to be jaw-droppingly massive.

• Upvote 2

Pretty much a certainty this is two player isn't it? Creating and playing.

The 3D world stuff was a nice surprise.

Creating is not going to be as good without that Wii U Gamepad, but it looks fucking sensational.

This is going to be HUGE.

Maker one was the one game that made me even slightly regret selling my WiiU for a PS4, the second being Tokyo Mirage Session.

I can't wait to get my mits on this.

Hopefully they'll address everyone's concerns about visibility for great levels to rise to the top.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fatsam said:

I'd imagine NES costumes will make a return so Waluigi will be there for sure.

Maybe not the other one.

I don't think they'll be in, certainly not in the form from the first game. There don't seem to be any SMB levels, which is what made all the costumes possible as 8-bit style sprites are relatively easy to produce. I'd expect less costumes but ones that work in all themes.

Those ‘New’ graphics have never looked so good IMHO. Cat Mario’s presence helps. This justifies my decision to not double dip with NSMBU. Now someone can go and remake it for me.

The number one feature I want from this is a category to contain those levels where you stand on a platform and the level plays itself, stupidly hard levels (much easier to make a hard level than an enjoyable one) and other gimmick based stuff, so that I can avoid playing them. Or even better, tags and an ability to completely opt out of seeing any of those gimmicky levels or getting them in your challenges.

Clearly people enjoy the gimmick levels or they wouldn’t get so many likes, but I probably enjoyed 1 out of every 15 stages I was randomly given in the Wii U game because of the prevelance those 3 types of level.

• Upvote 2

This is my issue with Mario Maker. I love the concept and the creativity in it, but playing through a bunch of levels just makes me wish for a Nintendo developed Mario game instead. The vast majority of the user created levels aren't that great. Occasionally you hit upon one which is genius, but it's infrequent. I'd rather have a Nintendo designed platformer instead. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Broker said:

I don't think they'll be in, certainly not in the form from the first game. There don't seem to be any SMB levels, which is what made all the costumes possible as 8-bit style sprites are relatively easy to produce. I'd expect less costumes but ones that work in all themes.

I’d bet NES levels and costumes are still in.  I don’t see why they’d need to remove them.

32 minutes ago, Broker said:

The third screenshot in my opening post has an SMB 8bit tileset...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

This is my issue with Mario Maker. I love the concept and the creativity in it, but playing through a bunch of levels just makes me wish for a Nintendo developed Mario game instead. The vast majority of the user created levels aren't that great. Occasionally you hit upon one which is genius, but it's infrequent. I'd rather have a Nintendo designed platformer instead. 

As someone who has played SMM for a few hundred hours (I stream it on my youtube/twitch channel) i must say there are some real gems to be found. There are some that come up that play similar to Nintendos own efforts - i myself created a bunch of what i would consider "Nintendo Levels" but the majority do have some kind of gimmick and work really well. I do like a good reasonable speed run level too, as long as it's not full of kiazo moves.

HOWEVER... i totally agree that 100 Mario is very hit and miss. This needs to be dealt with much better and categories need to be improved - ideally "troll" "kaizo" "traditional" "speedrun" "music" "autoplay" "gimmick" or something along those lines.

I kinda hope comments make a return too, because there were some great story driven levels too.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DC Lemon said:

Those ‘New’ graphics have never looked so good IMHO. Cat Mario’s presence helps. This justifies my decision to not double dip with NSMBU. Now someone can go and remake it for me.

That's not 'New' style, that's Mario 3D World style, which is new to this. Also:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

This guy seemed happy with the announcement. 

(if you like watching Mario games being steamed you really should follow him)

That is no way to treat a cartridge.

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

The 3DS version included 100 Nintendo designed levels so hopefully this will have something similar.

• Upvote 2

As well as the upgrades to the editor, I would hope that Nintendo would also improve the Online side too, making it easier to find good levels or level creators.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ryodi said:

The 3DS version included 100 Nintendo designed levels so hopefully this will have something similar.

The 3DS single player campaign is the most under rated Mario game ever made. It is absolutely fantastic. I so hope they do so again for the sequel.

• Upvote 6

It's going to be a bit strange using the touchscreen for designing levels. Capacitive touchscreens are old tech but they really work well with a stylus. SMM2 has got to come with a stylus hasn't it?

Also going to be handheld only for designing levels surely, well unless you can use the IR/Joycon as a air mouse type thing when docked.

This video includes the excited yelling from the earlier clip, but also he slows the trailer down and points out literally every new thing in it.

4 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Also going to be handheld only for designing levels surely, well unless you can use the IR/Joycon as a air mouse type thing when docked.

Nah, you can see how it's set up in the trailer.

Going back to the Online, is it likely that there will be any continuity with the previous Mario Maker Online system?  I made some levels, Favorited a load more, & set some particularly talented creators as favorites, so will any of that carry over, or will everyone have to start from scratch?