Isaac

Super Mario Maker 2 - Nintendo Direct May 15th

8 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

It's going to be Odyssey surely...

Never really thought of that but yeah, the mechanics of that game could work pretty well with SMM... 

I have no interest in this but going to preorder for my sons birthday. My usual go to for physical games is Simply or Argos but there's no mention of the stylus. Game seem to have it, are they ok for release date deliveries?

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

Or Yoshi's Island 

Be nice, but Yoshi Island isn't really a Mario game (even if it was classed as SMW2 in PAL/USA).

Would the mechanics warrant it to fall under Extra Game Styles? Maybe. But SMO is really the only other game with a unique play style in the mainline series if it isn't going to be SMB2.

• Downvote 1

They have thrown literally everything at this, and it looks amazing. Spent many an hour on the original, and can see this taking up a large portion of my gaming time.

Cant wait.

THAT LOOKS AMAZING!

So much shown in the video and I bet there's tons of secrets waiting to be found within the game, can't wait to play with my son and him giggling his head off as he makes traps for me, or as usually happens unbeatable courses :lol:

18 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

What about galaxy?

Well, anti gravity is already shown to be in SMM2, as well as the space themes (which also show up in SM3DWorld Theme).

I don't see what else they could make a theme out of. The planet hoping was kinda it's thing, and that won't work well in 2d.

8 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Well, anti gravity is already shown to be in SMM2, as well as the space themes (which also show up in SM3DWorld Theme).

I don't see what else they could make a theme out of. The planet hoping was kinda it's thing, and that won't work well in 2d.

It works in Mario Odyssey 

22 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It works in Mario Odyssey 

The planet hoping? But the game is in 3d. How would it be any different to jumping between platforms in 2d?

1 minute ago, Darhkwing said:

The planet hoping? But the game is in 3d. How would it be any different to jumping between platforms in 2d?

The gravity stuff alone would be worth it.

Just now, Super Craig said:

The gravity stuff alone would be worth it.

The gravity stuff is available in other themes, so that's good with me. Be good if we got some Galaxy Music though. If anything, SMM2 would really benefit with a huge amount of music to choose from.

1 minute ago, Darhkwing said:

The gravity stuff is available in other themes, so that's good with me. Be good if we got some Galaxy Music though. If anything, SMM2 would really benefit with a huge amount of music to choose from.

In the same way that it’s applied in Super Mario Galaxy? I must have missed that.

Just now, Super Craig said:

In the same way that it’s applied in Super Mario Galaxy? I must have missed that.

Well, you seem to be able walk on ceilings, or change the gravity so your jumping isn't as powerful etc or let enemy's start floating around.

I'll have another watch myself in a bit.

17 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Well, you seem to be able walk on ceilings, or change the gravity so your jumping isn't as powerful etc or let enemy's start floating around.

I'll have another watch myself in a bit.

This is what I'm talking about:

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

A gameboy theme? They had some unique elements didn't they? 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

A gameboy theme? They had some unique elements didn't they? 

I've been hoping for a SML2 theme for SMM2 but honestly the gameplay mechanics are not that much different to standard SMM themes, so why would it need to be under Extra Game Styles?

4 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Be nice, but Yoshi Island isn't really a Mario game (even if it was classed as SMW2 in PAL/USA).

Dude, it's literally called 'Super Mario: Yoshi's Island' on the Japanese boxart:

super-mario-world-2-yoshi-s-island-super-famicom.thumb.jpg.2aae47ec89db4ebb20f887a5a19bc7a9.jpg

The white letters say "Super Mario', the colored ones say 'Yoshi's Islando'

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Dude, it's literally called 'Super Mario: Yoshi's Island' on the Japanese boxart:

super-mario-world-2-yoshi-s-island-super-famicom.thumb.jpg.2aae47ec89db4ebb20f887a5a19bc7a9.jpg

The white letters say "Super Mario', the colored ones say 'Yoshi's Islando'

They only added the Super Mario bit for marketing purposes. None of the other Yoshi Island games have anything to do with the mainline Mario series.

You don't play as Mario in it , so why would they add it to Super *Mario* Maker.

That's not to say it's nothing less than a great game btw.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

They only added the Super Mario bit for marketing purposes. None of the other Yoshi Island games have anything to do with the mainline Mario series.

You don't play as Mario in it , so why would they add it to Super *Mario* Maker.

You do play as Mario in Yoshi's Island, when you collect a Super Star. He can run up walls and on ceilings and float.

I still wouldn't be as interested in a Yoshi's Island theme as I would a Donkey Kong 94 or 2D Mario Odyssey though. Super Mario Bros 2 makes sense though.

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

Does MM2 not include this?

They showed local 2 player course creation, but the only actual multiplayer gameplay was either online or wireless local system link

It looks like players aren’t tethered to the same screen in multiplayer, i.e. one player can run beyond another’s vision, owing to the fact they each have their own personal screen/Switch. In prior multiplayer Mario platformers, they’d bounce back into the same screen inside a bubble. That doesn’t seem to be how this one plays, probably due to the ‘race to the finish’ type nature of the multiplayer mode. It wouldn’t work with two players on split Joycons, playing on a single screen. Unless they came up with an additional slightly altered multiplayer mode, similar to NSMBU.

I think a Yoshi’s Island tileset would work great. It has castle, over world, underground, forest and sky themes already in place, and includes coins (even originating the red coin collectibles) and certain other power-ups like stars. I agree it’s not actually a Mario game really, but there’s no reason it can’t be an extra mode, a la 3D World. That option establishes they’re able to include modes with an unconventional-for-a-2D-Mario play style. Get Yoshi’s in there, with throwable eggs and collectible flowers and everything.