Super Mario Maker 2 - New update adds worlds! (Forum Course List in First Post)

Isaac

I've seen people post about this in the past but this is the first time I've ever had to say it: I've not been able to get this away from my child this weekend.

Every spare minute  she's had she's been building (mostly terrible) courses levels then running to me to test bits out. Lying in bed, upstairs in her plahouse, lounging on the sofa, sat at the dining table…

I genuinely want to take a week off work to actually give it the time it deserved.

How is the process of finding new levels? On the original it was really hard to find stuff to play, with the 100 man mode (which has been replaced by endless) mostly throwing up garbage, and the “best levels” being dominated by auto and music levels. I know there’s tags this time, so hopefully that will help with filtering.

The big problem with the first game was that it never sent anybody to your levels. Whilst mine weren’t great, there were a few people on here and reddit who were creating amazing things that nobody was playing. The process of making a fun level, then trying to get it seen was basically entirely reliant on you sharing it on Twitter, messageboards etc, but I saw people do that stuff and still have their levels ignored completely.

Even without that, as someone who spent hours making levels it was super frustrating that even when I got some stars, nobody ever really played my levels. After making ten or so, it started to feel a bit pointless, which is about where I got bored of it and started just watching videos of other people who were playing harder levels than I could ever make. I ended up watching hundreds of hours of Mario Maker, way more than I played.

@Broker Yep, they seem to have done little to change this -_-

Some kind of themed daily or weekly challenge would be good, showcasing the best ones the following week, playlists/selections of levels curated by Nintendo, community groups who can share levels between each other (we could make a RLLMUK group and share/play each other’s levels). But instead you’re trawling through loads of shit or entering codes. They’ve put in very little effort to make that part of the game better than the original.

Just made my first course and uploaded it. It's pretty basic, but I wanted to make a course that was fun whether you went high or low, with secrets to be found on both paths. I was worried it might be too boring/easy by the end so I spiced up the second half. It usually works nicely, but testing it there were definitely a few scenarios where it got a bit chaotic, so I hope I didn't overdo it.

P71-LPN-3GG

Looking forward to trying out some others posted here!

(EDIT: Reuploaded course, changed code)

10 minutes ago, imp said:

Just made my first course and uploaded it. It's pretty basic, but I wanted to make a course that was fun whether you went high or low, with secrets to be found on both paths. I was worried it might be too boring/easy by the end so I spiced up the second half. It usually works nicely, but testing it there were definitely a few scenarios where it got a bit chaotic, so I hope I didn't overdo it.

7SH-W11-KDG

Really great work, this might be my favourite course yet, feels close to a Nintendo made level.

47 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Also, someone cleared my course in 15 seconds which I'd love to see.  I wish a replay was stored so I could watch it back.

I keep reliably getting within 1/10th of a second. :angry:

I love courses like that. Short and straightforward to finish, but allows you to keep shaving away at the time so that you find yourself in little rivalries thanks to the notifications. 

1 hour ago, imp said:

7SH-W11-KDG

I'll give it a go after work ^_^

40 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

I tried to make something creative and enjoyable but that’s just not who I am so I went the rotten mushroom route instead for my first and probably last upload. :coffee:

KMN-6D2-0MF

Now that's how you 'sell' your course(/level)

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Really great work, this might be my favourite course yet, feels close to a Nintendo made level.

Whoah! Thanks very much for the kind words! I actually had the idea this afternoon to reward the exploration, so I've reuploaded with a fun little bonus area you can reach by collecting five pink coins. There's some fairly fiendish platforming involved for anyone who wants to try though!

P71-LPN-3GG

43 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Prob asked already, but is there a way to get the stylus?

I've already got the game digitally. 

I don't think you can get the official one separately, as it was part of a pre-order bonus, unless people put them on ebay.

I'd highly recommend this one from Currys - £1.99

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/tablet-accessories/goji-gstybk14-stylus-black-10010430-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=2f489429-2329-4fcd-941a-a6a497a10e1d&istItemId=wtlarlapl&istBid=t&awc=1599_1561995442_44a7d677d34af51d33647c6ee9d48e3a&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~https%3A%2F%2Fshopforward.nl%2F~Comparison Engine~531573~ShopForward

29 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Just played it again and realised you can do a long jump onto the red kooper in between the two lifts for maximum speed boost, which I expect you used.  Didn't even plan that!

If the game had ghost times there’d be dozens of little marios hitting the exact same air through 95% of the level, I feel confident there’s an ideal route up until the final approach on the goal, there’s definitely time to be found.

At this point I know the course better than 1-1!

5 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

If the game had ghost times there’d be dozens of little marios hitting the exact same air through 95% of the level, I feel confident there’s an ideal route up until the final approach on the goal, there’s definitely time to be found.

At this point I know the course better than 1-1!

You're my new hero :)

Got an idea for my next course now.

Working from home is dangerous...

3 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

I tried to make something creative and enjoyable but that’s just not who I am so I went the rotten mushroom route instead for my first and probably last upload. :coffee:

KMN-6D2-0MF

Evil level but excellent, theres actually multiple ways to stop the mushrooms in their tracks, on one attempt I not only managed to kill all the ones below with power up vulnerability, but a crane picked up the one in the clown car! :eyebrows:

...I died having to go back near the start for a coin only to have the first two evil shrooms respawn. :(

Did it a few tries later ;)

35 minutes ago, GokouD said:

https://youtu.be/2mWl_00zKWA

I got Ian Higton from Eurogamer to play my Slumbering Deep level on his stream, he seemed to quite enjoy it. It's at the 1hr 14 mark if anyone wants a watch.

Nice work. I like how he intuitively worked it out. I wasn't that interested in this but the community stuff makes me want to bite.

18 hours ago, ann coulter said:

My idea here was to subvert the function of the Super Star power-up.

C4D-Y2V-K0H

Fickle Stars of Stiletto Skies.

'Oh, capricious Super Star! Mario's most trusted power-up turns against him.' :P

This is bloody brilliant! Everyone in this thread should play it.