Super Mario Maker 2 - New update adds worlds! (Forum Course List in First Post)

Isaac

4 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Handling is authentic to the game style. 

Not strictly true, the handling is the same, similar to NSMBU, but the moves available match the original games. I feel like 3D world may have it's own handling though.

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Played some Story Mode earlier which is excellent. I’m shit at designing courses though. Any tips to get started?

Drive really fast and don’t crash

59 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Not strictly true, the handling is the same, similar to NSMBU, but the moves available match the original games. I feel like 3D world may have it's own handling though.

That's interesting. I felt like each one was different but I'm likely being duped by the animations, in that case. 

3 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Played some Story Mode earlier which is excellent. I’m shit at designing courses though. Any tips to get started?

Maybe try some levels on course world?  Though I’ve found that some are so impressive that I worry I’ll never be able to make anything comparable :( 

Enjoying the story mode on this. It's like the Nintendo equivalent of short stories or an experiential album, just stuff they'd not do in a mainline 2D game. 

All levels where Mario is not allowed to jump are an abomination in the sight of both God and Man, though. 

Another late one. It's absurd how quickly whole evenings melt away when you're constructing courses. Before playing, I'd expected to spend most time playing the story mode and other people's creations while dabbling occasionally in making my own, but I've actually become obsessed with the creation tools most of all. In the first hour or two it was so overwhelming I found it hard to think of much to make, but two days on I can't let the Switch go for fear of losing all the course ideas I want to put into practice. So good.

Spent the day creating. He's the course I made: 3DJ-25J-GDF. I can't tell if it's any good.

I can definitely say that creation mode is not as good as it was on Wii U. I now appreciate that SMM1 was a perfect match for the Wii U gamepad. Some observations large and small:

- The screen area feels cramped and zoomed-in. They had to do this because you'll be using your fat finger or a rubber-tipped stylus.

- Clicking the thumbstick to get a zoomed-out view is great, but only lets you do limited things. In docked mode with a big TV it would be so good if you could use the zoomed-out mode all the time.

- There's no need for the even more zoomed in view though, which is an irritation because you have to cycle past it every time.

- Can no longer place anything in a large square area on top of the start point. I think that's where the multiplayer "start line" goes when a course starts.

- Undo Dog needs to fuck right off the B button! I have undone things countless times because I have muscle memory of the B button in MM1 being the button that speeds up your cursor while you're scrolling. Undo Dog requires you to hold the B-button for a second as a safety measure, but my muscle memory of speeding up the cursor is also a held-down action. So Undo Dog yaps, and I lose what I just did.

- I've nearly dropped the Switch three times today. Say what you like about the Wii U gamepad, but it was moulded to fit your hands and had grips. The Switch is harder to hold in one hand with a stylus in the other, while you're moving the thumbstick around on the side you're holding. I think a few people are going to break their Switches.

3 hours ago, bum said:

Is there a way of getting on-off switches to turn some blocks on while simultaneously turning other blocks on?

Yes, when you place one of the blocks it affects, you can go into its sub-menu and change its initial state.

One thing I loved about watching MM1 was people doing one screen puzzles, and now I finally get to do them myself! Just found this one in the popular course section and finished it, which I am quite proud of.

D3R-5RY-NDG

The main challenge isn’t too difficult, but make sure you go for the optional extra room for the true ending!

Course codes may be smaller now, but it would still be good if they make a new version of the Super Mario Maker Bookmark site. That way you never have to enter a course code, just click people's links and line up their courses for playing next time you're in the game.

32 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

Course codes may be smaller now, but it would still be good if they make a new version of the Super Mario Maker Bookmark site. That way you never have to enter a course code, just click people's links and line up their courses for playing next time you're in the game.

I know it isn't quite the same but...

I have been collating forum codes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N-yGtdiuoUFaOcOKq-Yfqc37eys7d1yIuXnEZAybETA/edit?usp=sharing

It can be edited by anyone, so feel free add and fill it in with more details, etc. 

I'm a little confused about how to post comments on people's courses. There are two kinds of comments, right? General comments that you make after clearing a course, and comments that will pop up inside the course exactly where you're standing if you pause and make a comment.

But how do you leave a general comment without clearing the course? I want to be able to say "Sorry dude, too hard for me", but I don't want it to be a popup where I'm standing in the level. I want it to be a general comment. But if I have to clear the course to make that comment, I can't.

15 hours ago, ann coulter said:

How frequently did Nintendo update Super Mario Maker on Wii U, out of interest? And was new content free? I'm guessing we're likely to see a bunch of stuff added to SMM2 over the coming years.

There was one substantial update to the first game, and one or two small patches. The support was absolutely pathetic and extremely disappointing.

11 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

I'm a little confused about how to post comments on people's courses. There are two kinds of comments, right? General comments that you make after clearing a course, and comments that will pop up inside the course exactly where you're standing if you pause and make a comment.

But how do you leave a general comment without clearing the course? I want to be able to say "Sorry dude, too hard for me", but I don't want it to be a popup where I'm standing in the level. I want it to be a general comment. But if I have to clear the course to make that comment, I can't.

Pretty sure you just pause it and there's an option there.

12 minutes ago, Broker said:

There was one substantial update to the first game, and one or two small patches. The support was absolutely pathetic and extremely disappointing.

It was hardly pathetic, they added checkpoints, red coins, p-doors, bouncy donuts and some other stuff, plus the bookmarks website. The Wii U was a sinking ship at that point,  I'm glad they added anything. 

They updated the game once. They had an infrastructure in place for DLC and chose not to use it. At any point during the dying breath of the Wii U they could’ve recognised that Mario Maker was their only substantial YouTube and twitch presence and capitalised on that. People were buying Wii U’s just for that game.

I’m not saying Nintendo aren’t capable of keeping a game well updated, I just don’t think it’s a wise thing to expect, given their long history of abandoning games or producing pointless, insubstantial DLC and updates.

2 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

The thing it needs most is a way to find courses made by friends. That would be my top priority, although I suppose adding a favourite creator is almost as good.

32 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

The thing it needs most is a way to find courses made by friends. That would be my top priority, although I suppose adding a favourite creator is almost as good.

Yeah, it's bizarre that you can't automatically see friend levels. I'd really like to see notifications when a friend or followed maker uploads a level too, ideally with mobile push notifications to switch online app too.

1 minute ago, GokouD said:

Yeah, it's bizarre that you can't automatically see friend levels. I'd really like to see notifications when a friend or followed maker uploads a level too, ideally with mobile push notifications to switch online app too.

All of that would be amazing, and give me a reason to bother installing the Switch Online app on my new phone. As it stands, until just now I forgot it even exists!

But, this seems to be typical of the Japanese mindset when it comes to online in general, to be fair, and it's not just Nintendo that make these odd decisions. Xbox Live pretty much nailed how online should be done, and it has kind of spoiled us all, because I can remember having to have several different server tools installed and a list of usernames in multiple games, many of which didn't persist beyond a single session anyway. It once took me 3 days to arrange an online match with a chat-room friend, for example.

2 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Is there a way to follow specific makers within the game? And get a list of their courses?

I don't know about "Follow", but I was looking at the leaderboards earlier, and you can definitely list all the courses made by a single player from there.. Presumably that same information exists for every profile.