ChrisN

Films with one set.

I watched Free Fire the other day. It's a moderately fun action-comedy, but what's genuinely interesting (to me) is that it's basically set entirely in one location (a warehouse), so it feels almost more like watching a play than a film. Reservoir Dogs is similar, as are Phonebooth, How To Rob A Bank, the first Saw movie, etc. Can anyone point me to more films like that? I'd like to explore them a bit.

The Guilty (2018), Danish film set in an emergency services call centre. Watched it last night and was completely engrossed. Clever use of sound and it makes you use your imagination a lot. 

Maybe Buried (2010) as well. 

• Upvote 5

I've not seen it for years, but Closet Land made quite an impression on me when I watched it.   Alan Rickman as the interrogator and Madeleine Stowe as the victim in a single, very 'stagey' room.  I don't think it started as a play, but has been one since.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101597/

One of my favourite Rickman performances.

Not sure there's a HD version available but it is on Youtube, for as long as it goes unnoticed probably.

1 hour ago, CGB said:

The Guilty (2018), Danish film set in an emergency services call centre. Watched it last night and was completely engrossed. Clever use of sound and it makes you use your imagination a lot. 

Was just about to come in and mention this. Brilliant film.

Sleuth just about counts.

CE4BFA84-D4EA-41E6-85E2-2E8FC18F4D9D.thumb.jpeg.5037ea42205abcd6521f6f63d99610bc.jpeg

There’s some stuff that happens outside the house and in different rooms but it’s pretty much all the same place.

Unsurprisingly, it’s also an adaptation of a play

Also, Locke, set entirely inside a car.

D2341543-92E9-45FA-8AD4-669CB2CAE000.thumb.jpeg.9aae7d6c3440597f9e788fa9eb53791b.jpeg

• Upvote 4

2007's Interview is worth a look in a Sartre Hell room kind of way with 2 protagonists you can't really trust and, along the same Hell room lines, Tape is worth a look too.

Arguably, Hateful Eight is mostly set in a single room but there are flashbacks to other scenes so I'm not sure it really counts.

EDIT - Crap! I forgot Pontypool! That's more of a radio DJ stuck in the station in the event of a viral outbreak.

• Upvote 3

12 Angry Men for certain. I really enjoyed both Rope and Dial M for Murder.

I quite liked a Spanish movie called The Bar. Exam is alright as well, and I didn't mind Await Further Instructions. 

Pontypool was creepy fun, and if you like seeing Salma Hayek getting beaten up while kicking ass, Everly is your film. 

• Upvote 1

What’s that one where a bunch of annoying thirtysomethings end up meeting parallel universe versions of themselves?

5 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Sleuth just about counts.

CE4BFA84-D4EA-41E6-85E2-2E8FC18F4D9D.thumb.jpeg.5037ea42205abcd6521f6f63d99610bc.jpeg

There’s some stuff that happens outside the house and in different rooms but it’s pretty much all the same place.

Ah, that must be the film that my brother-in-law summarised as “Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier in a room, winding each other up.”  Always liked that description. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ChrisN said:

it's basically set entirely in one location (a warehouse), so it feels almost more like watching a play than a film

I've always found that comparison interesting, especially as I've just come off assistant-directing a play that had about 20 different bloody locations! (Short scenes as well - that was certainly a challenge to stage!)

• Upvote 1

I didn't really mean to imply all plays are like that, but far more plays have a single setting than films which is why films that do feel like plays to me. 

Another vote for Dial M For Murder. A really great twisty story, very complex murder plot, but set in one apartment and with only 5 characters. 

Also The Invitation on Netflix is great , takes place in a house. 

The Party is also on Netflix.  Takes place in 2 rooms.

Nothing to Hide is great, on Netflix. Takes place around the dinner table.

Time Trap is on Amazon Prime. Takes place in a cave. Fuckin' loved this one.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ChrisN said:

I didn't really mean to imply all plays are like that, but far more plays have a single setting than films which is why films that do feel like plays to me. 

Oh no, it's a comparison I've made myself many times before stopping to think about it - how many scene changes in Twelfth Night, say?

I suppose it's a bit like saying something is 'comic book', even though comics can technically be about anything.

The Interview, starring Hugo Weaving, is about 95% set in the interview room. It's excellent, and not to be confused with Interview linked by DirkCrisis above.

Available on Netflix.

• Upvote 1

Yes, another vote for The Interview. Superb performance from Hugo Weaving.

i saw a pretty good one called Fermat’s Room. Not quite entirely one location but the bulk of the film is in one place.

Bar a few seconds at the end, Circle is in one room.

15 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Coherence?

That's excellent!

On the ultra low budget sci-fi theme, Circle is set in a single room (bar a few seconds at the end). It's 'interesting' rather than 'good' though.

16 hours ago, dumpster said:

The Party is also on Netflix.  Takes place in 2 rooms.

Shame it's crap. And in 4 rooms (toilet, garden, kitchen, lounge) I think.