Yesterday - Danny Boyle

Isaac

On 25/05/2020 at 20:38, Fierce Poodle said:

I love the Beatles but this was a massive bag of donkey crap.

I love the Beatles, but one song isn’t the next and this was fun for what it tried for. You just need to be in the right mood, like many a song.

I haven't watched this. I actually like Four Weddings and really like Notting Hill, but About Time was offensively bad and Woman In The Cafe was a crime against humanity - just the most appalling thing ever - and so I refuse to watch anything that isn't universally praised by him.

Is universal praise neccessary? What if I said 'it's the greatest film ever and it will change your life'? and then implanted a chip inside your head that meant with every sentence anyone ever says to you all you hear is 'Yesterday is the greatest film ever and it will change your life'? Would you watch it then if only to get closure from your new nightmare?

universal praise what is this. it's just 90 minutes of your life you'll never ever get back, just 90 mostly disappointing minutes. what else are you you going to do with that time? Wash up a few times?

You'll regret it when the film comes up in conversation and everyone is laughing at how poorly thought out it is and you can't contribute.

edit: 2 hour run time actually. ohh the time just flew by clearly.

Okay apologies for the phrase 'universal praise'. I guess I just meant that  I have become allergic to his generic plotting, radioactive sentimentality, and dated female characters and if something he does appears to not commit those 3 sins, I will possibly watch it and only then to fit in.

6 hours ago, makkuwata said:

I love the Beatles, but one song isn’t the next and this was fun for what it tried for. You just need to be in the right mood, like many a song.

I was in the right mood, but the that didn’t stop the film from being complete cat shit.

2 hours ago, barkbat said:

Okay apologies for the phrase 'universal praise'. I guess I just meant that  I have become allergic to his generic plotting, radioactive sentimentality, and dated female characters and if something he does appears to not commit those 3 sins, I will possibly watch it and only then to fit in.

Oh man. Do NOT watch this film if you don't like those three things. Also, the implication that a certain ginger songmaker is the best songwriter ever.

1 hour ago, merman said:

Argh, set the Sky box to record this last night and a thunderstorm knocked out the signal right at the start for several minutes

It's on Netflix.

So this was twee, and doesn't explore the premise at all, but in the world of cinematic madness allows is to be perfect for a hard(er)-sci-fi, low budget Primer style sequel. 

Here's my pitch Title: TOMORROW:

(This became longer than expected.)

Spoiler

STYLE: Contrasting the whimsical, rom-com setting, this films leads with the low scale stakes of academia vs the equally drugerous, but more sinister corporate world. We'll have no budget for an Beatles songs. Think Primers reality. Not sinister Men in Black, just capitalist machinery vs academic truth.

The film opens on a dead rat. The camera pulls back to show a bearded middle age man in a pullover building a small cardboard maze. Occasionally he tosses a coin in the air, before placing the next piece. In-between pieces he keeps checking on the dead rat.  Suddenly the rat twitches and starts to move. He gingerly picks it up with tongs and places it in the maze. Without any hesitation the rat completes the maze and reaches the treats in the centre. The man collapses in a chair terrified.

CUT TO: Jack and Ellie's life in ruins, the endless court case from the music company, at him breaking contract, ripping their lives apart, Jack is legally forbidden from singing the songs due to breach of contract. The songs are being licensed out to singers by the music company to reimagine. (parodying  the endless recycling of movie concepts reboots and saving us money). The court cases lead to Jack being on stand and explaining that everyone has forgot the beatles, coke etc. In a few weeks they'll lose the house unless they can start making the repayments to the company. This is leaver by which...

A small scale rubbish university's professor (the man from the beginning) convincing Jack (and then Justin and Sarah - the other two "rememberers") to work with him to understand what happened. The Prof believes them.

Long story short their investigations allow them to realise that the solar flare that caused a global power outage in the first film, cause a quantum coherence wave to pass across the planet. This quantum entanglement, allowed memories to tunnel across probability space into the nearest probabilistic neighbour universe. In the same way that a Quantum clock relies on tunnelling to measure time. Certain people were receptive to that.

The scientist recreates on a small scale the field from the solar flare, whilst 'quietening' the rats brain to "lower the potential" and make the memory tunnelling easier. He discovers the new rats can solve mazes he hadn't taught them. They've gained knowledge from nearby universes from rats who already solved it. The scientist becomes increasingly aggregated and stressed, but is making progress. he keeps running tests on them. They start to remember more things that are missing from this universe. First it's more pop culture, then it becomes more factual in nature. Bigger differences. They can tailor the information, for example by doing the experiment near a book, then being able to recall having read it. They can make money by doing this next to false documents that discuss information they are not privy too. They use this to start insider trading to avoid Jack's bankcrupcy.

The 'rememberers' struggle to accept that the 'alternate' history they remember isn't specifically theirs. It's an alternate version of their life. Not actually theirs.

With this knowledge comes the creeping realisation that the world is more different than they originally thought. Justin realises that his memories of Sarah being supportive at school are not consistent with reality, she was an horrendous bully whose guilt is what caused her to be kinder to him once she had reflected on what she did (by becoming a teacher). Has she really changed?

Justin and Sarah bond with Jack. Jack admits his doubts over Ellie and that he hates the beatles. In return we discover that Justin slit his wrists  and Sarah drank herself unconscious that night - one due to a relationship ending, one due to their partners altzimers (and them hating their partner and thinking of them as "dead"). They were both in the wrong.

They decide to admit this to the professor. They figure it's important. As they tell him, he brushes this information away and the experiments continue.  But they've become suspicious. But... they all need the money.

They start to try and hack the Profs computer. Eventually Jack solves the password during a test and logs in they piece it together. They realise he already knew. They realise that it's being braindead that allows you to make the switch.

They realise the prof already knows this. 

They realise the prof has been killing them, and new versions of themselves appear from alternate realities. It's not memories that tunnel across but the whole wavefunction of the brain. 

We the audience have not been following the stories of the original characters. We are multiple people away from where we started and the characters are getting stranger. They realise the prof keeps killing himself, taking him further and further away from the centre of the bell curve and into uncertainty. He is becoming something more than human

And worse. 

They corner him and strap him to the experiments chair. They litter the surroundings with fake medical reports on altzimers, hoping the professor that comes along will have it to such an extent that and so no longer be a threat.

The current prof pleads with them. He explains that of the infinite universes, it's far more likely a universe is filled with fear and pain and suffering, than love and hope. The "hells" outnumber "heavens" a billion to one. Those people in those hells must escape. They want to come here. The Prof is was one of them, and he will do anything to rescue them. Every time he uses the machine he moves one step on to a better universe. He's done it many times. Those who follow behind him are likewise better off than they were before. He pleads to let him continue.

They waver, but pull the switch. The new prof seems confused. They release him. He turns on them, a vision of true evil,  and uses the machine on Jack.

But this time it's different this time we follow this specific Jack to the new universe. He wakes up Everyone is happy. Things are better. Calmer. Sunnier. He's moved to a better timeline. Does he want to ride again?

The altzimers diagnosis can be seen in the background.

On 14/06/2021 at 21:44, mash said:

Creator and co-writer of arguably the greatest sitcom Britain has ever produced.

Creator and co-writer of the shit first season of arguably the greatest sitcom Britain has ever produced. Let’s not pretend anyone is thinking of the godawful first series when they’re praising it. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Creator and co-writer of the shit first season of arguably the greatest sitcom Britain has ever produced. Let’s not pretend anyone is thinking of the godawful first series when they’re praising it. 

I didn't think the 1st series was that bad, it wasn't great.... And no, I wasn't including series 1  when praising it. But that doesn't change the fact that series 2 -4 are some of the greatest pieces of television ever made. And Curtis was co-wrote the scripts for those. Unless we're implying it was all Ben Elton's handywork.

On 05/07/2021 at 10:16, Ste Pickford said:

I was considering watching this, as the premise seemed interesting.  I didn't realise Richard Curtis wrote the screenplay, so I'm glad I read this thread first.  Not wasting a second of my life on any more of his dreadful films.  I'm still angry that I watched About Time, which is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

You're lucky you haven't seen The Boat That Rocked then, as that's far far worse than About Time.

1 hour ago, Ste_S said:

You're lucky you haven't seen The Boat That Rocked then, as that's far far worse than About Time.

Remember the comedy rape scene? Or the fact that Philip Seymour Hoffman seems to have been shot separately to the rest of the cast and he seems vaguely embarrassed?

The ONLY thing to be happy about is that they cut James Cordon's parts out completely.