rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Yesterday - Danny Boyle

The trailer for this is just out, and it looks like a clever premise.

A struggling singer-songwriter bangs his head, and when he wakes up he lives in a world where the Beatles dont exist, but he still remembers all the songs. So he goes and 'writes' them all, claiming the credit. Trailer below:

Shame that Corden and Ed Sheeran are in it, mind. Hopefully only briefly.

• Upvote 1

I like how this assumes that people today would automatically recognise the brilliance of The Beatles Hey Jude instead of going "thats a really fucking annoying song, mate".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 3

A masterclass in how to look permanently bewildered.

I hope the finale is him realising he's run out of emotional Beatles songs and has to perform Octopus's Garden at Wembley.

• Upvote 5

Parts of this were filmed here last summer (Great Yarmouth and Gorleston) including the big beach concert.

I'll watch it just so I can go "oh that's.... " all the time

Yeah, I'm in. I enjoyed Slumdog, 127 Hours and T2 but seems it's easy to be sniffy about Boyle. Thankfully Cordon is playing himself so I reckon he won't spoil it.

On 13/02/2019 at 12:55, kerraig UK said:

I like how this assumes that people today would automatically recognise the brilliance of The Beatles Hey Jude instead of going "thats a really fucking annoying song, mate".

Nah. Nah, nah, nah nanna nah nah.

• Upvote 1

Bit bloody lucky for him that of all the bands the world could forget it was the Beatles.

”What's that you're humming?”

”It’s Barbie Girl by Aqua.”

”Who?”

”Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuu...”

Saw this earlier... it’s a neat premise, but one that is completely undercooked. Random thoughts:

So much potential in the idea but instead the film delivers a half-baked romantic ‘comedy’ (counted two laughs and an hour later I can’t even remember what they were), married to a love letter to The Beatles, albeit the kind of prose written by a lovesick teenager.

Kate McKinnon, or the people sending her irritatingly kooky roles, needs to stop.

I think Danny Boyle might have directed it via email, such is the lack of spark or energy.

Just watch Eight Days a Week if you want a heartfelt Beatles experience.

• Upvote 1

The premise really could have been put to better use. The Beatles aren't the only things in the film that are forgotten on a global scale, but they're used as one-liners that might as well have not been included such is their throwaway nature. Well, there's one half-decent one, but it is a joke that was dated in 1997, let alone 2019.

Oasis also vanish because the Beatles never became famous. My (B) sides.

Cigarettes, Coca-Cola and Harry Potter are the other ones I can remember.

So, yeah. So twee the DVD will probably sold in a biscuit tin depicting a child flying a kite against a rustic landscape.

1 hour ago, glb said:

Hide contents

Oasis also vanish because the Beatles never became famous. My (B) sides.

Cigarettes, Coca-Cola and Harry Potter are the other ones I can remember.

Spoiler

wait...There's a joke about Oasis also not existing because they were so influenced by The Beatles? I know you just said that, I'm just wondering how they make that joke. 

What does your second sentence mean?

7 hours ago, glb said:

Saw this earlier... it’s a neat premise, 

Kate McKinnon, or the people sending her irritatingly kooky roles, needs to stop.

Oh fuck, she's in this?

AND Ed Sheeran?

AND James Corden?

Christ! What a carve-up.

And written by Richard Curtis who just can't write women - they're either hellspawn, idiots for not realising how awesome the protagonist (who is always analogue to Curtis himself) is, or is lovesick for the protagonist (who is an analogue....etc, etc.)

• Upvote 3