Sign in to follow this  
Vimster

Early-90s Games Night

Every now and again I like to try and spice up a boring Saturday night in by giving it a bit of a theme, and in this instance I am thinking of having an early-90s games night, playing games and listening to music popular when I was around 20, was starting to make my own money and spend it on C64 and Amiga games mainly, briefly owned a SNES in 1993, and also had a number of Gmeboy games.

So I wanted suggestions. Some fun games on C64, Spectrum, Amiga or console that would go down well with a bottle of wine or a few JD and cokes. Arcade games, puzzle games, hidden gems from a time I'd define as the tail-end of the 8-bit computer era but pre-Playstation and 3D games. Also any good suggestions for music to have on in the background, whether it's pop or dance or whatever.

21 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Every now and again I like to try and spice up a boring Saturday night in by giving it a bit of a theme, and in this instance I am thinking of having an early-90s games night, playing games and listening to music popular when I was around 20, was starting to make my own money and spend it on C64 and Amiga games mainly, briefly owned a SNES in 1993, and also had a number of Gmeboy games.

So I wanted suggestions. Some fun games on C64, Spectrum, Amiga or console that would go down well with a bottle of wine or a few JD and cokes. Arcade games, puzzle games, hidden gems from a time I'd define as the tail-end of the 8-bit computer era but pre-Playstation and 3D games. Also any good suggestions for music to have on in the background, whether it's pop or dance or whatever.

Well its kinda your thing? Find things that you enjoy and relive in a retro night?

Bitmapped games are great with their art style which IMHO has never really dated!

I'd just get a SNES mini hook it up to the TV and play some of the things on there.... Super Mario World, F-Zero, Streetfighter 2 etc....  It a bitmapped 90s night in a box... :) 

Also if you don't have one pick up a C64 in a box with some games...one of these :) Uridium and Paradroid are both great shooters for example. World games is on there too which is great fun...

There are loads of these types of device around where you get a good chunk of gaming in a box. However just stick with a few titles or otherwise you end up just playing a few moments with each and not getting the experience from the game.

Even better invite a few mates around with the SNES mini... and play some split screen fun. Make it a great social experience. That is what made 90s gaming for me. None of this online gaming nonsense...  dragon punching your mate in Streetfighter 2 when you only had a slither of energy left and winning was just fantastic. As was watching theirface and giving them a ribbing... :D

• Upvote 2

Oh my C64 is permanently set up, ready for action. My Amiga 12o0 is out of action but I do have Amiga forever and a load of games for that. And of course the old Pi3 and even the modded OG Xbox for everything else. I do have some ideas but was hoping to get some extra inspiration.

1 minute ago, Vimster said:

Oh my C64 is permanently set up, ready for action. My Amiga 12o0 is out of action but I do have Amiga forever and a load of games for that. And of course the old Pi3 and even the modded OG Xbox for everything else. I do have some ideas but was hoping to get some extra inspiration.

Nothing beats playing on the original controllers though on original(ish) hardware (in the case of the SNES mini)....

We could organise a "Rllmuk" retro night?! :) 

Just book up a venue somewhere and get everyone to fetch up some kit. Make sure there is a bar... 

I have a spare projector we could use... now there is an idea!

• Upvote 1

On a related note, I remember on the Lemon64 forum I had a few peeps I’d play netplay games with, and it’s surprising how quickly an evening can disappear with some Speedball 2, IK+ or Ikari Warriors. Of course the caveat is that you have to be willing to jump through the various netplay hoops... :) 

How about theming it around a specific machine and just playing the games that came on a Compilation set - e.g. One of those 5 all time classics sets on C64

or even better what about playing the Batman Pack ( Batman, New Zealand Story and Interceptor?) or the Bart Simpson pack (or the A1200 Desktop Dynamite Pack?) that was the Amiga 500 bundle (while listening to "Sunshine on a Rainy day" by Zoe) 

In terms of a RLLMUK retro meet. We used to run retro shows back in 98/99 and 2000 which were a lot of fun. Mix of trading, playing games, tournaments, few beers etc. Back then it involved a lot of CRT lugging about (and still would for authenticity!) Should probably organise another. Was just a case of hiring a venue. Everyone stuck in a fiver to cover the venue hire. Good times!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

In terms of a RLLMUK retro meet. We used to run retro shows back in 98/99 and 2000 which were a lot of fun. Mix of trading, playing games, tournaments, few beers etc. Back then it involved a lot of CRT lugging about (and still would for authenticity!) Should probably organise another. Was just a case of hiring a venue. Everyone stuck in a fiver to cover the venue hire. Good times!

Sounds like a plan! :)

There is a retro games night in Leeds on the 15th March http://retrogamesnight.co.uk/ if anyone is around that area. Looks to be interesting. Will pop to that and see how it goes...

14 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

How about theming it around a specific machine and just playing the games that came on a Compilation set - e.g. One of those 5 all time classics sets on C64

or even better what about playing the Batman Pack ( Batman, New Zealand Story and Interceptor?) or the Bart Simpson pack (or the A1200 Desktop Dynamite Pack?) that was the Amiga 500 bundle (while listening to "Sunshine on a Rainy day" by Zoe) 

Oh yes, I like the idea of, say, just playing Codemasters budget games on the C64. There are some right stinkers in that collection, but plenty of still-playable ones.

I don't know what the appetite would be for a proper meet. I know there are several of us in and around the south-west and some up north, so I'm not sure where best to hold it. There are others who are better at organising this sort of thing  - roberthazelby

36 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I don't know what the appetite would be for a proper meet. I know there are several of us in and around the south-west and some up north, so I'm not sure where best to hold it. There are others who are better at organising this sort of thing  - roberthazelby

Well perhaps a yearly one would be a good start! :) Have somewhere mid country allowing those located in the North and South to easily attend! :)

Happy to bring my projector - it takes DVI (with HDMI converter too), component and composite from memory. Also have a small (14"!!!) CRT. 

It does seem that there are lots of events in Blackpool and Leeds etc

I can look into the venue we used to use and see if it is still available to hire. Basically a community centre but has parking, toilets, a kitchen and a decent amount of space and you can use a projector as we set up a Soul Calibur tournament back in the day. It was a pretty good venue - right near to pubs and shops for picking up some lunch etc.

Depends what people want it to be though. Just a get together to chat and casually play some games, a chance to play some rare stuff (or unusual set ups like link up games etc) or could incorporate some tournaments etc Essentially fairly chilled - like being round at a mates for local multiplayer but on a bigger scale!

Well for those of us in the North, there is Arcade Club. Mostly arcade machines (as the name implies) but might be worth asking if they would host a provide party with folks bringing in some consoles, Amiga's and Speccy's etc.