Jump to content

The Right Stuff - TV remake


Recommended Posts

So they'll take the whole essence of the book, the fact that the Mercury Seven had the "Right Stuff", giving unprecedented inside experience to those astronauts, where they came from and what they went through, finely compacted into a must read book and instead expand it out so that it covers every fucking space mission over multiple series????

 

It's well known Tom Wolfe hated the film due to the changes they made to it from the book. Guy must be spinning in his grave. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

John Glenn - Patrick J. Adams

Alan Shepard - Jake McDorman

Gordon Cooper - Joe Dempsie

Wally Schirra - Aaron Staton

Scott Carpenter - James Lafferty

Deke Slayton - Micah Stock

Gus Grissom - Michael Trotter

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This show just made a penny that's been hanging for thirteen years finally drop. The NASA program took on seven astronauts. N7 ... any Mass Effect fans will know what I'm talking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thor said:

Is no-one else watching this? The first two episodes are fucking great. 

I’m very reluctant to because of my love of the film. How do you think it compares (if you’ve seen it that is)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I’m very reluctant to because of my love of the film. How do you think it compares (if you’ve seen it that is)?

Hmmm, I've seen the film and thought it was only okay, not amazing. These first two episodes concentrate a lot more on the astronauts' personal lives. I'll be honest, I have no idea what's fiction or fact, but I don't recall the movie painting Alan Shepard as a cheating womaniser. Or Gordo as someone with home troubles.

 

Also, you say you love the movie, I do believe the author of the book hated the movie. We'll never know if he approved of the TV series ... you should give it a shot. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thor said:

Hmmm, I've seen the film and thought it was only okay, not amazing. These first two episodes concentrate a lot more on the astronauts' personal lives. I'll be honest, I have no idea what's fiction or fact, but I don't recall the movie painting Alan Shepard as a cheating womaniser. Or Gordo as someone with home troubles.

 

Also, you say you love the movie, I do believe the author of the book hated the movie. We'll never know if he approved of the TV series ... you should give it a shot. :)


Did you watch The Astronaut Wives Club?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Astronaut_Wives_Club

 

That wasn’t entirely complimentary about their personal lives?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I intend to, but having read the book a couple of years ago, I’m not in a huge rush. 
 

Does it focus on the fucking craziness of test pilots and pushing the envelope or is it just all American with accurate costumes and sets?

 

There’s something about Tom Wolfe’s writing that captures that when the film didn’t. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Does it focus on the fucking craziness of test pilots and pushing the envelope or is it just all American with accurate costumes and sets?

A little of column a, and a little of column b. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.