Formula One - 2019 Season

On 07/12/2019 at 08:38, mexos said:

Of course I understand why it happens. People need and deserve to be paid at the end of the day though. It’s a real shame a hyper easy, ubiquitous PayPal style service never really arrived to help people pay for content. I’m still surprised no one cracked it.

I guess this is the issue.  Ads alone these days do not really pay the bills.

I remember reading a book about the Guardian where they hoped that online ads would be the financial way forward.  The problem is that advertisers can check how many click throughs they get and it turns out to be very small. It has probably always been the way that ads were exaggerated in their effectiveness except now you can directly assess whether an ad works or not. Ad blocker or not, studies suggest that people actually block out banner and similar ads.  As in, they will be there but people simply do not register them. 

Assuming Mercedes don't revert to an engine supplier only when Wolff and Hamilton leave and Ineos then take over the team. Hamilton would be crazy to leave Mercedes for Ferrari before he's beaten Schumacher's records, he's not going to break them at Ferrari.

I think lewis is ending his career at Mercedes unless the 21 Merc is a real stinker whilst someone like McLaren manages to put together a top car and he jumps ship to them. Ferrari and Red Bull already have young guns who are there or thereabouts in relation to him, and both like to have a clear number one driver, so I don’t think Ferrari will actually want him unless Charles really goes off the boil. They’ll be wanting to replace Vettel with more of a Bottas figure.

I can see Hamilton walking away from motorsport when he leaves F1, he won't be chasing glory elsewhere to make up for his F1 career falling short of his own expectations like Alonso and he won't be appearing on Sky F1 nearly every race like Button and the YouTuber. But you never know, I never thought Schumacher would come back when he retired the first time.

I used to think that was the case. But he's changed his tune of late. I was convinced that he'd be off like a shot when he retires but now I can see him getting stuck in to the sport outside of his driving years. If Ferrari never happens then I can see him taking a Toto/Niki merged role. Merc have so many heads of department, of all the teams I recon he could easily make the leap to management there.

Good point. As for Ferrari even with Leclerc's contract I still think they want him before he retires otherwise the most successful driver in F1 history (if he continues his current form) will never have driver for them which I imagine will hurt their pride.

Viewing figures have tanked like a bastard, zero fucks given I suspect as the teams are better off for now with the cash trousered from the tv rights.

Fine until you try and atract new sponsors to the sport.

22 hours ago, marsh said:

Viewing figures have tanked like a bastard, zero fucks given I suspect as the teams are better off for now with the cash trousered from the tv rights.

Fine until you try and atract new sponsors to the sport.

It's going the same way as cricket only without the occasional final they can put on terrestrial tv to maintain interest. No wonder the teams are struggling to get sponsors when it's just going to be locked behind a paywall. Nothing is going to change in the UK until the contract Bernie gave to Sky on the way out of the door expires in 2024 but by that point will enough people care to being it back especially if Hamilton has retired by then.