rllmuk
kiroquai

Formula One - 2019 Season

What a race, incredible battle between Ferrari and Red Bull until Vettlol’s schoolboy error!

Max & Charles share the driver of the day for me. 

• Upvote 1

Used to have a F1 JPS jacket when I was a kid. Got by collecting the cigarette cards from mum's cigs.

Used to pretend I was a stuntman like The Fall Guy and jump off the shed roof wearing it. Good times.

• Upvote 2

Was Googling for any pics of the old jacket and found that you can buy a replica!

Not getting one as I wouldn't wear it but:

Screenshot 2019-07-14 at 22.06.37.png

It's much better than it was, Flintoff's oafish harassment of Harris aside, it's really quite watchable. Thinking about it, last nights Supra review was something of a highlight.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Stayed in the same hotel as Chase and Gareth Southgate

Did Gareth step in after Status decided to pursue a solo career?

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, ryodi said:

Liberty Media love the crowd shots. It reminds me of the BBC always cutting to celebs in the crowd at Wimbledon whenever they can even when that isn’t what people are watching for.

Sometimes it’s inspired though

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Baring said:

Wow Mexos, i want more! Full report and pics please. What did you win for beating the time?

A stupidly sized trophy and a magnum of Verve. Also got a load of great swag from Merc. Will post some more in a bit!

• Upvote 8

Yes, post more, looks an amazing experience!

Did you get Merc ear defenders to protect you from a night of Crofty shouting, or does he only shout during broadcast?

He seemed extra-shouty on Sunday, but then who could blame him.  Best race of the year so far, was great to watch.

Everything else has been covered, Vettel needs replacing, but there isn't really anyone to take his place.  Ferrari strategy mistakes as usual, but no worse than Merc (Bottas) who lucked out with such a dominant pace, and 

Feel a bit for Bottas - I mean, I'm sure Hamilton would have had him later in the race had the safety car not handed Lewis the win, but it would have been nice to see him actually have a chance.

Also, the fastest lap, I can only assume Merc didn't give Bottas the extra mode, or tell him Lewis was going for it.

@mexos - that looks great! I've done Paddock Club on a Friday practice before (in 2015 as a guest of Lotus F1) but none of the other stuff you did with Merc. I have done the heli into the circuit thing though before, many years ago. Funnily enough, the wallpaper that loaded when I turned my work PC on this morning was a photo I took that day;

British_GP_Practice_2015_042.thumb.jpg.5c00029e37fb3bf68057c5b9148f60e2.jpg

• Upvote 4

That looks amazing @mexos - what a great experience!  Definitely need more photos!

I was also at Silverstone this weekend, but without all the glamour!  Great race - one of the best I've seen there I think.

Off to Germany for the next race too - back to back F1 trips!

• Upvote 2

Fantastic race. What happened with the Mercs at the end though ? Calling in HAM twice followed by HAM setting fastest lap on those old tyres ? Was everybody on the same page throughout that sequence ? 

11 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Feel a bit for Bottas - I mean, I'm sure Hamilton would have had him later in the race had the safety car not handed Lewis the win, but it would have been nice to see him actually have a chance.

Also, the fastest lap, I can only assume Merc didn't give Bottas the extra mode, or tell him Lewis was going for it.

There seemed to be more surprise then excitement when they confirmed the win plus fastest lap to HAM on the radio after he crossed the line. 

As i get older it gets harder to trust my eyes but i swear Le Clerc sometimes drives different lines and angles then the rest of the grid. Love watching him. 

6 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Fantastic race. What happened with the Mercs at the end though ? Calling in HAM twice followed by HAM setting fastest lap on those old tyres ? Was everybody on the same page throughout that sequence ? 

There seemed to be more surprise then excitement when they confirmed the win plus fastest lap to HAM on the radio after he crossed the line. 

As i get older it gets harder to trust my eyes but i swear Le Clerc sometimes drives different lines and angles then the rest of the grid. Love watching him. 

DC and Webber were saying it's great watching Verstappen, LeClerc and Norris because this group of youngsters are taking different lines and making passes work at places that for a long time have been no-overtake areas 

1 minute ago, Sun Tze said:

At the end, I think Merc saw the oppertunity to bring Lewis in for fresh tyres just in case, but Lewis was smart enough to realise it was a dumb call.  Chances of looking 20+ seconds in 4 laps is virtually nil, even if the tyres fell off the cliff.  Bottas was only 2 or so seconds behind Lewis too, so the chance of a fluffed stop putting Bottas in front was also there.  I wonder if these pit stop strategy calls are a team effort with too many cooks as with none of the data sitting infront of me, it seemed clear cut that pulling Lewis in was a stupid call, just as not pulling LeClerc, and indeed Bottas in was an equally stupid call!

I've posted this before in this thread I think, or perhaps elsewhere, but I feel that pit crew unnessesarily in the pit lane shgould be penalised (even just a fine, to disencourage) on safety grounds, especially after what we saw with Verstappen and LeClerc being side by side down the pit lane.

The surprise on the radion at the end confused me too.  At that stage of the race, Lewis would have been in a limited engine mode to help preserve the ICE and other components, and would have known he was to drive a certain way to reduce load on the gearbox etc.

From my (admittedly limited) understanding, he'd likely have had to do at least one of the following:

- Change the engine mode out of fuel save for performance in preceding lap(s).

- Charge the ERS system for a full hot lap.

- Know he wasn't fuel limited.

- Change his driving to brake later / accelerate harder than the previous laps.

I'd also be surprised if he hadn't called in and asked who had the fastest lap.

The first 2 Merc would have known about instantly, and I'd imagine would have resulted in a radio call "strat mode [rest the donkley] please Lewis" 

Assuming Bottas wasn't given the same oppertunity (which surely would have seen him breeze the fastest lap on much, much fresher tyres, and a better compound) seems a touch unfair.

I find Verstappen, LeClerc, Norris and Albon all refreshing to watch.  Last year's F2 was excellent for 3 of those, and it's good to see it continuing.

Oh man @mexos, what a great experience! :D Amazing how you beat Ant at driving a (virtual) F1 car, too. Brilliant stuff.

Should have shot me a message about you visiting the paddock, would have loved to share a moment over espresso at Ferrari. (Though I can imagine the excitement of being in the F1 paddock for the first time like that leaves little attention for chatting to a journalist ;))

Also, fantastic racing yesterday all around. So glad F1 proves to be alive and kicking with a GP like this. And the fact that Seb apologizing for the crash to Max straight after the finish didn't ruin the aftertaste.

Spoke with Michael Masi post-race and was surprised to hear according to him race direction didn't take a 'more lenient view' on the positively aggressive racing here, following up on what happened in Austria. "It's just the nature of the Silverstone track", he stated.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Pug said:

Was Googling for any pics of the old jacket and found that you can buy a replica!

Not getting one as I wouldn't wear it but:

Screenshot 2019-07-14 at 22.06.37.png

Ooh, link please? :)

19 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Should have shot me a message about you visiting the paddock, would have loved to share a moment over espresso at Ferrari. 

We literally had zero free time mate, they had us all over the place. It was like being in a whirlwind. Plus I'd prefer a Weissbier rather than an espresso! 8-)

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

At the end, I think Merc saw the oppertunity to bring Lewis in for fresh tyres just in case, but Lewis was smart enough to realise it was a dumb call.  Chances of looking 20+ seconds in 4 laps is virtually nil, even if the tyres fell off the cliff. 

Yeah I didn't understand that either. Didn't make a lot of sense. Merc are very calm on the radio I have to say. No one other than Lewis ever sounds even slightly animated. 

I think it's fantastic that a genuine enthusiast got the nod to go and get right in the guts of the event. More than deserved. I say that as when I went many moons ago, I witnessed a vast number of people there who hadn't got a fucking clue what was going on, why they were there, and a large number of girlfriends/wives facing away from the track reading books or copies of Ok. It baffled me why people would shell out to be there.........but then of course it's just to be able to say 'I was there'

And to top it all off you gave Davidson a schooling, just a good job it wasn't Bathurst eh?  :ph34r:

• Upvote 2