rllmuk
kiroquai

Formula One - 2019 Season

6 hours ago, marsh said:

I'd take either in that case, but then I don't really watch it anymore since it vanished behind a paywall....

Best race of the year this weekend, Blancpain 6 hours.

I just looked on the Backpain website and it looks like a normal race at Paul Richard?

Autocorrect has made a dogs dinner of this :lol:

1 minute ago, morcs said:

I just looked on the Backpain website and it looks like a normal race at Paul Richard?

Good stuff in this week's Beyond The Grid podcast. The guest is John Watson who was a team-mate of Niki Lauda's for some years. Lots of reflection about Niki and some other gems as well. I won't spoil it all but some good bits include him describing Nelson Piquet Sr as "a piece of work at the best of times", and saying of Jean-Marie Balestre "Thank God he's dead."

It's also worth remembering that we hear only a fraction of the actual pit to car radio messages, the ones FOM want us to hear to build some tension and make the dullest of dull races mildly more interesting. If Ricky can win in Monaco with a 150kw disadvantage when his MCU give up the ghost, Hamilton was always going to be fine on slippery tyres. 

Exactly, pushing some long life tyres 20% past their official recommendation is not as hard as having 1/4 of your engine not happening.

And to be honest I wasn't that worried for Dan either.

I think F1 has a problem with sincerity vs showmanship and hype - everything is hyped up to the max as exciting when everyone watching knows it’s not. Croft is the worst for this, along with Mercedes obvs. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Exactly, pushing some long life tyres 20% past their official recommendation is not as hard as having 1/4 of your engine not happening.

And to be honest I wasn't that worried for Dan either.

Vettel with a fully working engine couldn’t even get close to Danny Ric last year due to the turbulent air. At least in this race Hamilton and Verstappen were usually in the same shot. But tyre management is easier than balancing the systems to keep the car going and Danny Ric barely finished a race after his win so he probably appreciated it more.

10 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

everything is hyped up to the max as exciting when everyone watching knows it’s not. Croft is the worst 

Looks a bit like him too.

• Upvote 2

Stupid rumours I have recently read:

Alonso comeback with Ferrari

Hulkenberg replacing Gasly at Red Bull. 

Ferrari outdragging Mercedes in Montreal. 

All seems rather unlikely. 

Hamilton has hit the wall and will be out of practice for a while. Might be one of those weekends for Hamilton.

P2 was on in the background while I was doing other things. Presumably Ferrari were top in P2 because of different tyres to Merc?

Think so yeah. Sainz and the McLaren looking commendably not shit too, race sim runs looking faster than Ferrari!

Stroll continues to be a waste of a seat and Magnussen has crashed which has knocked Max out in Q2.

Stroll has been a bit :facepalm: this year, but I actually thought he didn’t do too badly today. Missed all of FP3, had the old Merc power unit in and was only about 0.1 off Perez.

Should be a good fight for pole! 

Danny Ric in fourth place on the grid, Bottas was very scruffy, the start will be fun.

I’d be surprised if that was a penalty, not much Vettel could do on his way to having an accident. 

Indeed. He only kept the place cos he cut off Hamilton, but equally there was nothing else he could have done.