kiroquai

Formula One - 2019 Season

8 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

This looks intriguing, hopefully not a fluff PR piece and actually looks into the sport. Its produced by Oscar-winner (Amy and he also produced Senna) James Gay-Rees.

Released on Netflix 8th March.

That looks awesome.

5 hours ago, kiroquai said:

(Incidentally, if anyone's really into somewhat shady funding coming from an almost-impossible-to-find energy drink firm, check out Leopard Energy Drinks and their Moto3 team in motorbike racing. Have been going since 2010, apparently the only place you can find their product is ordering online from some obscure German supermarket...)

They sponsored Keifer Racing in Moto2 and a Touring Car team as well at one stage.

As for DMG Mori

image.png.b259e851ab2f9086a95a47f40e83cf08.png

And also

image.png.20c29c282f7e26cdbd5e82c4b1ba3c77.png

They're an "Innovation partner" of Red Bull Racing too, although that doesn't appear to extend to car space.

On 19/02/2019 at 18:17, Bob Sacamano said:

McLaren putting in some good times in testing, although I wouldn’t put it past Zak Brown to make them run light to get some fast times in the hope of attracting sponsors, but it’s a positive sign that they’re running properly from day one, guessing they switched focus to this car quite early last year.

If I remember correctly the McLaren did the third best single lap time in pre-season testing last year whilst the Mercedes was down in 9th, so you can’t read too much into it!

1 hour ago, fragglerock said:

Looks a bit "F1 is about crashing" but hey I guess that is always an easy in for people.

My first thought too.

2 hours ago, MrPogo said:

If I remember correctly the McLaren did the third best single lap time in pre-season testing last year whilst the Mercedes was down in 9th, so you can’t read too much into it!

General early thoughts I’ve seen around the web and other places is that Ferrari look great, Red Bull are decent, Mercedes might be a bit behind where they want to be and apparently McLaren really don’t look great on long runs.

Testing is a mystery (especially week one) so we’ll probably be getting a slightly better idea of where everyone is at next week :)

I'm sure it's a typo, but the Haas site claims they're running a 2 year old Ferrari engine, the 062.  Last year's is the 062 EVO and apparently this year's is the 064.

On 20/02/2019 at 20:52, Dudley said:

As for DMG Mori

They're an "Innovation partner" of Red Bull Racing too, although that doesn't appear to extend to car space.

In case this isn't obvious, this means they are a supplier rather a sponsor. AIUI they share machining data and DMG use the Red Bull factory as a kind of showroom/physical case study in return for discounted hardware, higher level of engagement with the DMG engineers etc. (I assume, because my employer has similar deals).