rllmuk
kiroquai

Formula One - 2019 Season

McLaren announce partnership with British American Tobacco, so McLaren have got their own Mission Winnow it seems. I wonder how close to tobacco level money this is, could be a big boost for them.

Focusing solely on potentially reduced risk products and grounded in technology and innovation

McLaren Racing has today announced a global partnership with British American Tobacco (BAT), focused solely on BAT’s potentially reduced risk products and grounded in technology and innovation.

The multi-year partnership is centred on accelerating BAT’s transforming agenda, leveraging its portfolio of potentially reduced risk products, aiming to deliver the world’s tobacco and nicotine consumers a better tomorrow.

The agreement brings together two companies with a shared interest in technology, innovation and design, as well as a clear desire to deliver significant and meaningful change in their respective industries.

Technology is a core part of the relationship; McLaren Applied Technologies will work with BAT on areas including battery technology and advanced materials. The two companies will share best practice, innovation know-how and mutual experience.

Zak Brown, Chief Executive of McLaren Racing, said:

“We welcome BAT to the McLaren team and support their ambition of delivering meaningful and lasting change through innovation. BAT’s transformation agenda is central to this partnership and we are pleased to share our technical experience and expertise in helping to accelerate this.”

Kingsley Wheaton, BAT’s Chief Marketing Officer, said:

“We’re extremely proud and excited about this new partnership, further enabling us to accelerate the pace at which we innovate and transform ourselves. It gives us a truly global platform with which to drive greater resonance of our potentially reduced risk products, including our Vype, Vuse and glo brands. Ultimately, innovation and technology will support us in creating a better tomorrow’ for our consumers worldwide.”

With Ferrari leading the way in new sponsorship territory by being back by Marlboro Definitely Not Marlboro, McLaren are following suit with a deal pairing them up with British American Tobacco.

You could say that they are Lucky to Strike up such a deal.

(EDIT - Beaten to the punch by JPR! I will remove the duplicate news item but leave my amazing joke in for posterity).

• Upvote 1

"Potentially reduced risk products" is my new favourite marketing bullshit. "Yeah, we know all our other stuff kills you. But this might not!"

• Upvote 2

Fags and booze back in F1, sorry, definitely not fags n booze.

Just need Williams release today to be in blue white and yellow....

For Williams I'm expecting something that has a slight passing resemblance to this in livery terms:

honda-ra108.jpg

(But hopefully being less of an overall shitbox)

(EDIT - er... and apparently yet another of these 'definitely not tobacco' kinds of deals).

2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

With Ferrari leading the way in new sponsorship territory by being back by Marlboro Definitely Not Marlboro, McLaren are following suit with a deal pairing them up with British American Tobacco.

You could say that they are Lucky to Strike up such a deal.

(EDIT - Beaten to the punch by JPR! I will remove the duplicate news item but leave my amazing joke in for posterity).

I give that joke 555 points.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

:lol:

So the Williams thing - might not be a tobacco thing, more a sponsor that hasn't been seen since... er... 2001? Or so.

Only one major sponsor I can think of leaving the sport after 2001.

And that's Benetton.

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Who in the fuck are Rokit?

A bit of everything it seems with smartphones coming soon.

The company peddles liquor, prescription drug savings, and 3D smartphones, and it wants to topple India's most successful phone. There's a lot going on here.

Ah, it's backed by the guy who founded Patron tequila, who seemed to fund half of US motorsport before he sold the brand.

That's more optimistic.

• Upvote 1

Well that's what I was thinking, it could be just about anything.

Still, whether or not the phones are any cop, it's a company backed by a guy who can pay and has a long track record of supporting racing, so it'll keep Williams well in business for another year at least.

8 minutes ago, mexos said:

The Rokit logo looks like it could be for an eastern European concrete manufacturer.

They should had it as the title sponsor of last year's car as that went like it was made of concrete

3 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Funnily enough, no sign of it on the car!

rokit.PNG.1f0dcaad16481689e46172151502245f.PNG

It's... er... a livery. A weird one. But, looks quite decent!

It's not great and the mix of colours doesn't give it a distinctive enough look for me. It's still a long way from being their worst ever livery.

Alex_Zanardi_1999_Canada.jpg.2c06af4f2547a4086e8e55936cb801e9.jpg

Dreadful. In a somewhat bolder move they've chucked Nik Hamilton a years worth of Btcc driving. Must be for the instagram hits when his car is mashed up on a first corner shunt.

To think these people were shying away from the Rich Energy deal, back end of the grid has the stench of Andrea Moda all over again....