rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
BadgerFarmer

My book: Ideology and the Virtual City - Out now! (and other writings)

That sounds incredible.

I'm playing through the Division at the moment which is incredibly on the nose with it's dodgy as fuck ideological leanings, so I've been thinking about this a lot in my own (extremely limited...!) way. Would be good to get some proper insight in to the subject so... pre-ordered!

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Appreciate it.

With Zizek it was just a hopeful email and fortunately he agreed to do it. Part of my PhD was about his work, so it probably helped that I mentioned that. I've also contacted him a couple of times before about contributing to the 'One Question' series on my blog, but he's always been too busy.

It's a great quote that he's given me though. Very nice of him.

• Upvote 3

The blog looks amazing. My research is literature based (well, texts broadly as I look at films and games through a literary criticism angle) but so often end up (mis)using social and political theory. Look forward to reading the book :)

• Upvote 1

Nice one. As a Zizek reader who works in video games this feels relevant. Can I get it from somewhere else so I don't have to give Amazon business?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Halkyon said:

Nice one. As a Zizek reader who works in video games this feels relevant. Can I get it from somewhere else so I don't have to give Amazon business?

It should be available elsewhere nearer the time. Amazon's the first place I've seen it.

The unfortunate truth though is that the majority of sales will be through Amazon, and getting preorders there can really affect how well it does overall.

Pre-ordered! Weapons of the Strong looks like an essential read too, have to get around to that when the pile is a bit slimmer.

• Upvote 1

So I'm thinking about advance publicity for this now. Basically any opportunity there might be for someone to write about the book, talk about it, interview me, publish something by me etc, whether in print, online, in podcasts or whatever.

I've already done OK this year in terms of getting my own writing published in The Guardian, Edge, etc. and hopefully can get articles in some reasonably prominent places nearer the time.

But if anyone here can help with suggestions about places that might provide coverage in other ways (interviews, mentions, anything) that would be great. Anywhere that talks about games or books about games in depth really, especially in relation to the politics or social meaning of games. And especially podcasts or YT channels, because I'm not very knowledgeable about those.

Matt Lees would seem to be a fit for this sort of thing, maybe? He used to be on here so maybe people can put you in touch with him?

• Upvote 1

I 'm looking forward to reading it. I could check with the editors at TheSixthAxis to see if they would like a review of a more academic take on gaming (I write game reviews and talk on their podcast at present). Could then pimp it out to my network of game studies academic peeps too :) I'm no Zizek (although I am also fat and hairy) but I've got a decent reach that could be helpful for you.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Do you know Simon Parkin? He's done good with books and comes from a similar background.

I know of him from The Guardian. Certainly someone worth contacting.

3 hours ago, Horribleman said:

I've preordered it.

Excellent. Thanks.

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

Matt Lees would seem to be a fit for this sort of thing, maybe? He used to be on here so maybe people can put you in touch with him?

Thanks. I'll try and contact him. 

3 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

I 'm looking forward to reading it. I could check with the editors at TheSixthAxis to see if they would like a review of a more academic take on gaming (I write game reviews and talk on their podcast at present). Could then pimp it out to my network of game studies academic peeps too :) I'm no Zizek (although I am also fat and hairy) but I've got a decent reach that could be helpful for you.

Anything like that would be great. And if anyone needs advance copies for reviews or whatever, let me know. It's about 3 months away, but I think there should be some available 6 weeks before release.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I know of him from The Guardian. Certainly someone worth contacting.

Excellent. Thanks.

He's a friend of a friend. I don't know him enough to put you in touch but I do know he's an absolutely lovely guy and if you can get in touch I'd be surprised if he can't offer you a piece of advice. 

13 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

He's a friend of a friend. I don't know him enough to put you in touch but I do know he's an absolutely lovely guy and if you can get in touch I'd be surprised if he can't offer you a piece of advice. 

Will do. Looks like I can message him on Facebook at least.

So, I've ben notified that copies of the book are printed and now sitting in the warehouse waiting for distribution. If anyone wants to preorder and hasn't, now would be a great time to do it - the more preorders around now, the more Amazon will order and promote it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ideology-Virtual-City-Videogames-Neoliberalism/dp/1789041643/

You can also get it direct from the publisher if Amazon is too unpleasant to stomach: https://www.johnhuntpublishing.com/zer0-books/our-books/ideology-virtual-city

Alternatively, if anyone can commit (and I mean 100% guarantee) to writing a review on Amazon or Goodreads after the release date, I can send you a PDF copy a bit before.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

I can't wait to read this :) Could probably get a review in for the Fantastika journal if that would help?

Absolutely. That would be great. Let me know if you need a review copy.

So, today's the release day. Looks like Amazon have a discount on it as well, which I think is supposed to be a good sign.

Thanks to anyone who's bought it. I appreciate it. And if you're able to mention it anywhere on social media, that would be great too.

Also, I may have mentioned this before, but it would be really helpful if you could write a review either for Amazon or Goodreads, if you're into that. Apparently it makes a difference in raising the profile of the book. Even something short would be good.

Oh and, I hope you all find the book interesting. If not, well, it's nice and short.