rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Soulstar

Ridiculous unjustified retro listings

I’m after an Amiga 1200 at the moment which I appreciate I will have to pay quite a lot for but it’s complete madness ‘out there’ on eBay

this one, bit of yellowing and not tested apart from seeing the light come on.

just under 200 quid with 6 days to go.

and yes, I am a bitter arse that I sold my a1200 back in the day ;)

5626FC99-DAB2-483C-B4FB-8E12EEFBF020.jpeg

39AAE640-ACBF-43AE-9866-F0BC78275D64.jpeg

On 28/03/2019 at 17:14, gone fishin' said:

Yeah the problem you’ve got with Amiga/ST games is the dreaded “data rot” where the disks become unusable, even if they are original and kept in a decent condition.

The disks weren’t designed to last 25-30 years and are more or less guaranteed to degrade over tome to being unusable.

So yeah, fifty grand on some disks is a great investment!

At some point our collections become cover art museums. I'm fine with that. For some games it still won't mean cheaper prices.

I sold off a few rarer Amigas recently

The prices are indeed ridiculous but it's the rarity in the UK that's driving them high. 

I sold off 2 standard Amiga 4000s and an Amiga 3000. 

800+ quid each selling via an auction! Kept an upgraded 1200 and 4000 back for myself along with a CD32.

Although that may change if they go much higher. Saw a 4000 go past £1200 with a similar spec to mine.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Spartan said:

I sold off a few rarer Amigas recently

The prices are indeed ridiculous but it's the rarity in the UK that's driving them high. 

I sold off 2 standard Amiga 4000s and an Amiga 3000. 

800+ quid each selling via an auction! Kept an upgraded 1200 and 4000 back for myself along with a CD32.

Although that may change if they go much higher. Saw a 4000 go past £1200 with a similar spec to mine.

It does make me wonder what people are doing with these old computers?! :) What do you use your 4000 for out of interest? It it just a collectors piece?

Have a few 500s kicking around that I really need to move on.... Bought them around 10 years ago for £5 at the time for nostalgia (even got a free monitor with them!)  I should get more than that for them I guess. Are the 500+'s with Kickstart 2.0 worth a bit more than the vanilla ones? Need to dig them out... although I have no means of testing them now (no modulator) hmmmm....

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

It does make me wonder what people are doing with these old computers?! :) What do you use your 4000 for out of interest? It it just a collectors piece?

Have a few 500s kicking around that I really need to move on.... Bought them around 10 years ago for £5 at the time for nostalgia (even got a free monitor with them!)  I should get more than that for them I guess. Are the 500+'s with Kickstart 2.0 worth a bit more than the vanilla ones? Need to dig them out... although I have no means of testing them now (no modulator) hmmmm....

It's mostly a collector's item. Ironically, as it's a souped up model with an accelerated 68040 CPU fitted it's compatability with whdload and Amiga games is pretty spotty. 

The 1200 I have running a 1230 iv accelerator is a better machine for gaming and the CD32 even better with a tf328 expansion as I can just hook it up to a TV like a console and play any game off the CF card

If you've got a commodore / Philips monitor, they are worth some money too. Check those 500+ models though, they have an onboard battery that likes to eat the boards when they leak (and they will)

7 hours ago, MattyP said:

I don't think the 500s are worth much, but it's the higher end (or more desirable) ones that seem to go for a lot - 3000s, 4000s. The ones you really wanted, but couldn't afford, so had to make do with a 500!

I think the CD32 is worth a lot because as @Spartan said, it's a really easy way to play Amiga games, especially with all the home made compilations available now. 

9 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

I don't think the 500s are worth much, but it's the higher end (or more desirable) ones that seem to go for a lot - 3000s, 4000s. The ones you really wanted, but couldn't afford, so had to make do with a 500!

I think the CD32 is worth a lot because as @Spartan said, it's a really easy way to play Amiga games, especially with all the home made compilations available now. 

Didn't expect they would be. Mass market computers. Had a mate with a 4000 back in the early 90s. Impressive bit of kit but I'd moved onto the PC by that time. Think I had a 486 DX2-66 (whoop!). Never could justify spending so much on an Amiga. Commodore were a mess at the time and I didn't trust investing money into a machine from them. The 3000 was a nice bit of kit too. Remember it being on the Byte cover one month showing off the ECS and Kickstart 2.0. Wanted one of those at the time. No need for it but... didn't stop me wanting one. Had a 500 at the time. :) 

Sometimes I do wonder what the Amiga could have been if it had been managed properly by Commodore. Although it would never gone up against the PC juggernaut I guess. It was a very creative computer...loved Deluxe Paint and all creative apps that came out for it. Oh and the games! Also remember typing my first Uni reports up on Kindwords. :D. Loved the OS too... very poweful and flexible compared to say PC DOS at the time. Got my first real taste of multitasking and Unix on this.

Guessing CD32's are fairly rare. I have never even seen one in the flesh. IMHO it was a bad idea from the start and a bit of desperation form Commodore. Although the Amiga itself did start life as a design for a games console! :) Think it was Jay Miner that designed the chip set for and uber games machine.

Miss machines from back then.. they had more personality I guess as small groups of passionate people designed the chip sets.  Loved reading the back story of the Amiga. It was a fairly turbulent inception for sure.... 

Holy crap. Having a laugh aren't they?... remember Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge. Used to play that for hours at Uni with all the housemates trying to best the scores.... Great game.

I really need to rummage around all my retro stuff and just sell it on! :) I know it won't be worth a huge amount but rather someone have it who will appreciate it rather than it being stuck in a cupboard never used... which is kind of criminal really. 

In fairness there is about another 10 in the other pictures but £600 

in the description he does say no silly offers but perhaps no silly starting prices might help :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Didn't expect they would be. Mass market computers. Had a mate with a 4000 back in the early 90s. Impressive bit of kit but I'd moved onto the PC by that time. Think I had a 486 DX2-66 (whoop!). Never could justify spending so much on an Amiga. Commodore were a mess at the time and I didn't trust investing money into a machine from them. The 3000 was a nice bit of kit too. Remember it being on the Byte cover one month showing off the ECS and Kickstart 2.0. Wanted one of those at the time. No need for it but... didn't stop me wanting one. Had a 500 at the time. :) 

Yeah,, I think this is it. I suppose it's a bit like an Aston Martin DB5, they were highly desirable (maybe more to James Bond) but the reality was there were only a few thousand made and there's only just over 200 left on the roads in the UK because so many have rotted away. So it's down to supply and demand! 

Like with the high end Amigas, you really wanted one but they cost a few grand back in the early 90s and people literally got rid of them because, well, if you've got a super duper PC that does everything, what do you need a big beige box for? Now you've got buyers having a bit of money, space in their houses and are thinking "I really want to get an Amiga 4000, always wanted one" but there's hardly any left now.

Likewise with the CD32, although I'm not sure just how desirable they were at the time! I picked up mine for about £150 back in late 1994 when they couldn't really give them away. But fast forward to now and you've got a platform that's got some really good, official game releases, it's easily expandable to be a full 1200, it's easy to plug into a TV and play (I will say this, using an Amiga now is very frustrating, it's so bloody difficult to get it working when you've got Hard disks and stuff) and technically it's got quite a small official library, meaning it's ideal for collectors wanting a full collection. 

But getting back to the ridiculous unjustified retro listings, the CD32 does suffer a lot from this as well as eBay scalpers. I've seen some of the rare games get bought up for around £30-£50 for the exact same game to be listed (I know this, because they have unique marking like stuff written on the box) for £150-£200 two weeks later. With it being CDs, you can easily see if it works and you're guaranteed for it to not degrade, unlike floppies or tapes. The other thing the CD32 does suffer from is that some of the rarer games are utter turds but they fetch a really high price, again down to it having a fairly small library. 

• Upvote 1

I managed to find a CD32 (with a honeybee pad) and Amiga 1200 at a bootsale 2 years ago (and paid a fairly large amount for them).

First time I'd seen either in years, the first and only time I'd ever seen a CD32 at a bootsale and I've been going to them for almost 3 decades now. They are indeed stupidly rare these days outside of eBay. The honeybee pad alone goes for £70

On 06/04/2019 at 22:09, gone fishin' said:

Forget about the CD32, fancy picking up potentially the most pointless and unloved video games console ever, the C64GS?

yours for only £409.99 plus postage 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113696828658

:D Wow... like how he gives only one cart with it. And its useless on the console (probably sold all the games separately). No box either... 

These weren't great when released... sure they were selling them off for £50 a pop at one point....

On 06/04/2019 at 22:09, gone fishin' said:

Forget about the CD32, fancy picking up potentially the most pointless and unloved video games console ever, the C64GS?

yours for only £409.99 plus postage 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113696828658

Guy is also selling this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerful-Wireless-NYMPH-Thea-Massager-Wand-Rechargeable-Waterproof/113575448767

With the C64 GS one, I often wonder with some of these listings, have they managed to pick one up at either a house clearance or car boot sale, checked on eBay for a "Buy it Now" price and just thought "this is worth a fortune", without actually checking the true value of it? So it ends up being a vicious cycle of bullshit eBay based valuations, which in turn filters down to the more realistic priced listings, causing those to go up too? 

I'll give an example, I was watching an eBay listing over the past week for a "spectrum games bundle", which didn't list the games being sold. Turned out it had the Ultimate Collected Works compilation (almost complete, missing the poster) and Martianoids in it. The bundle itself went for around £70 including postage, but if you looked at those two games individually, for the Ultimate compilation it's around the £70-£100 for Buy It Now listings. Likewise Martianoids is listed at around £50 Buy It Now.

But do people pay that much for them? Are they really worth that? Or is it just sellers looking at other Buy It Now listings and thinking "this is worth a fortune", but nobody ever actually buys them?

And is it just a UK problem? Because I often see European listings for CD32 games come up at fairly decent prices (under £30) that are Buy It Now for over £100 for UK sellers.

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

But do people pay that much for them? Are they really worth that? Or is it just sellers looking at other Buy It Now listings and thinking "this is worth a fortune", but nobody ever actually buys them?

And is it just a UK problem? Because I often see European listings for CD32 games come up at fairly decent prices (under £30) that are Buy It Now for over £100 for UK sellers.

I'd say it's a UK problem due to lack of availability for Amiga stuff driving prices high. Stuff on the continent is generally a lot more fairly priced.

I mean, for my own example as I sold one back in January, in what world is an Amiga 4000 tower ever worth £1200 quid? Sure, it's rare and pretty uncommon to find in working order but there is nothing it does that a 1200 or even a bloody raspberry pi can do. It was just a massive heavy machine I couldn't justify keeping for that sort of money. 

It's just the prestige of owning something that exotic I guess. Hence why I still lust after a neo geo AES after all these years. The cartridges out me off buying one though.

9 hours ago, Spartan said:

It's just the prestige of owning something that exotic I guess.

Exactly why I have owned a CD-i and GX4000 and adore the Jag.  Prestige.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Exactly why I have owned a CD-i and GX4000 and adore the Jag.  Prestige.

See, another man of wealth and taste like myself.

(I also own a Jag, GX4000, a CD32, Gizmodo, ngage and have owned several CDI's. Love a failure me)

Whats funny is all the expensive amigas listed in this thread, are also the ones more likely to kill themselves when their capacitors chuck their guts up everywhere. Perhaps that is why they are getting expensive