rllmuk
AI1

Pet Shop Boys - New Album - 'Hotspot' 24th Jan 2020

Spoiler

Boom! Eat this. #Blessed.

badc3dbbf598664a3e4f63a2fd548740.jpg

http://petshopboys.co.uk/news/2019-02-05/agenda

Discussing the EP, Neil Tennant said: “It contains three satirical songs and one rather sad song. I think it’s because of the times we’re living through.” The four tracks were produced by Tim Powell and Pet Shop Boys and recorded towards the end of last year. They will not be included on Pet Shop Boys’ next album which is being produced by Stuart Price and is due for release in the autumn.

The first song on the EP, “Give stupidity a chance”, is described by Neil Tennant as “a satirical song about the poor quality of political leadership in the modern world”.

“What are we going to do about the rich?", described by Neil as "a sort of mock-protest song".

Pretty good selection of tracks. Shame they will never get the exposure they deserve. Looking forward to the 3rd album of the Stuart Price produced trilogy this year.

Original post spoilered above.

New Album on 24th Jan everyone!

Pet_Shop_Boys_-_Hotspot.png

Hotspot is the upcoming fourteenth studio album by English synth-pop duo Pet Shop Boys, scheduled to be released on 24 January 2020 by the band's own label x2, through Kobalt Label Services. It is supported by the singles "Dreamland" featuring Years & Years, which was released on 11 September 2019, and "Burning the Heather", which was released alongside the album announcement on 14 November 2019. The duo will tour the UK and Europe in support of the album in mid-2020.

Background and recording

The album was primarily recorded at Hansa Studios in Berlin where the duo have written "most of [their] music over the last ten years",[3] with the exception of "Burning the Heather", which was recorded at RAK Studios in London, where Bernard Butler contributed guitar to the track. The duo's website dubbed it the last of a trilogy of albums produced by Stuart Price, beginning with Electric in 2013. All tracks were written by Tennant and Lowe.

Track listing

All tracks are written by Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe aside from "Dreamland" which was written by Tennant, Lowe and Olly Alexander.

1."Will-o-the-Wisp"4:27

2."You Are the One"3:35

3."Happy People"3:51

4."Dreamland" (featuring Years & Years)3:28

5."Hoping for a Miracle"5:00

6."I Don't Wanna"4:02

7."Monkey Business"4:08

8."Only the Dark"3:38

9."Burning the Heather"5:27

10."Wedding in Berlin"4:27

1st single 'Dreamland'

Dreamland 'B-sides':

No boundaries

An open mind

-------------------------

2nd single 'Burning the heather'

Burning the heather 'B-side':

Decide

--------------------------------------------------

3rd single 'Monkey business'

Monkey business ''B-side'

At rock bottom*

*Not released yet.

• Upvote 4

As much as I would love to see the lads at least once in my life (especially on a "greatest hits" tour where they'll presumably be sticking mainly to the 80s/90s stuff) I'll only be going if I don't need to take binoculars with me.

• Upvote 1

I saw them at the O2 during the Electric tour, and it was spectacular. I wouldn't worry about the size of the arena - we were sat miles from the actual stage, but the dancers, props, set and laser displays were so big and so elaborate that it really didn't matter. It was a genuinely fantastic performance that made maximum use of the venue. 

• Upvote 1

Dreamland is great. BBC4 are broadcasting the "Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park" PSB concert this evening at 8pm, followed by a Top of the Pops special of PSB performances. I really hope they show their "Can you forgive her?" appearance from 1993... it's truly bizarre.

• Upvote 2

Wow, the new single is really good. I'm surprised, as the Agenda EP was not great; Pet Shop Boys keep tricking me into thinking they've fallen off, and then they come back with absolute bangers like this.

They’re good at wry, ironic love songs, but man, the Pet Shop Boys really stink the place up when they go for overt satire. Political cartoonist levels of subtlety, and they always seem to hold back their shittest tunes for the times when they decide the internet needs satirising. 

Agree with the last two posts. Decent new single, though the EP from February was utter mince, which didn't surprise me, as I have a Google Music playlist of everything good that PSB have done since Behaviour, and it's 13 songs long. My other 80s pop obsessions, Erasure, never quite reached the heights of PSB, but have been far more consistent over more than three decades.

That BBC4 thing tonight will just have to do for me, as I almost choked on my tea when I saw the ticket prices.

Updated first post with new album info and all the released music videos for Hotspot so far.

If you just listen to one track check out the Burning the heather 'B-side':

Decide

Superb.

• Upvote 3

How they've decided over the years what is a single, an album track or a B-side and what songs to give away to other artists is beyond me. Crazy amounts of quality tracks that are hidden away from the general public.

Wish they would do a tour and not do any of the 'hits'. Would be incredible.

• Upvote 1

On 10/01/2020 at 16:33, AI1 said:

If you have an Alexa device ask her who her favourite band is!

Did this at the weekend! Made me laugh! (I was always against the idea of getting an Alexa in the house, but I'm warming to her now...)

Decide and An open mind are both superb b-sides. Burning the heather is a lovely track, and Monkey business is an ear-worm. I'm looking forward to the new album.

• Upvote 1

It's out today, I'm 3/4 of the way through and happy to say it's a good Pet Shop Boys album.

I really like the cover, which is much better than the last few IMHO.

91d07ac8ec615afb88474be1b754a9fa.jpg

• Upvote 1

Got to say I'm pretty happy with the new album. Think I'll be adding a few b-sides to the playlist and probably chucking Wedding in Berlin in the bin. 

Possibly on course to be no.1 in the UK charts too, but I'm sure streaming of other artists in the top 5 will take that spot away from them as usual.