rllmuk
Cosmic_Guru

Infinity Engine RPGs on console - gather your party and venture forth

It's great news, I wonder if they'll be in bundles or sold separately? Hopefully not too pricey.

Also I really hope they have proper multiplayer support. I played a lot of Neverwinter and Icewind Dale in co-op and it was glorious, though it was pretty fiddly to set up. I can't remember if you could hop in and out of games co-op, or if you had a separate playthrough for it. Ideally you'd be able to let your mates hop in whenever and it would scale their character accordingly. Because now I'm old and don't have as much free time, the chances of getting a regular buddy to join me for the entirety of an 80 hour+ adventure isn't very feasible!

21 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

It's great news, I wonder if they'll be in bundles or sold separately? Hopefully not too pricey.

Also I really hope they have proper multiplayer support. I played a lot of Neverwinter and Icewind Dale in co-op and it was glorious, though it was pretty fiddly to set up. I can't remember if you could hop in and out of games co-op, or if you had a separate playthrough for it. Ideally you'd be able to let your mates hop in whenever and it would scale their character accordingly. Because now I'm old and don't have as much free time, the chances of getting a regular buddy to join me for the entirety of an 80 hour+ adventure isn't very feasible!

Probably to be sold in both bundles and separately, judging by releases on other platforms.  

Not sure about Multiplayer at this stage, (or anything else for that matter such as timing, ease of control schemes, the potential Neverwinter Nights user content etc).  I believe the current versions of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games - on PC, Mac, iOS and Android - are all cross-compatible for MP, but I've never tried it out.  

I'd love to play Baldur's Gate again. I've held off buying it for tablet because I didn't think a small screen would do the backgrounds justice.

Just now, Thwomp said:

I'd love to play Baldur's Gate again. I've held off buying it for tablet because I didn't think a small screen would do the backgrounds justice.

I wouldn't want to play on a phone, but a tablet is fine - the touch controls work well.  There are a bunch of Quality of Life improvements too, such as identifying the explorable area in maps, a loot all function,a  highlight all interactive items on the screen (makes finding the early hidden items a doddle).  Initially the iOS version was a bit problematic around entering through doors in particular but that has been worked on in subsequent patches.  

I really like the IE backgrounds - the question is how will they appear on a big modern screen?

• Upvote 1

I tried playing baldur’s gate 2 again recently and it just wasn’t very good. They’d need a massive graphics and ui overhaul before I’d get excited about it. Great games, but really dated now.

Surely they’d look considerably worse on a big telly than they do on a pc screen too?

I played 1 and 2 for the first time a couple of years back and thought they were mostly great, though the first few hours of 1 is a bit of a rough start. Enjoyed them a hell of a lot more than the modern versions of games in that style, even PoE which I was really looking forward to and spent 70 hours on.

Played it on a TV as well. They look their age of course but I wouldn't say they looked bad.

16 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

The code for Icewind Dale 2 has apparently been lost, so this is the lot.

Wait, its just gone? They can't dump any or reconstruct anything?

Yep, time to buy Planescape yet again. I bought the EE a while back but haven't started it yet - if the Switch version is good then that's preferable to me. 

It's still perhaps my favourite ever game - certainly top three. 

I was never a massive fan of Icewind Dale. I played it for quite a while, and while the environments and music were lovely, it just didn't have any depth compared to BG.

Aye, the Icewind Dales are designed as dungeon crawlers, so always stood out quite a bit from the other, story-oriented Infinity Engine games.

18 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I was never a massive fan of Icewind Dale. I played it for quite a while, and while the environments and music were lovely, it just didn't have any depth compared to BG.

I'll always remember the short experience I had of Icewind dale. I borrowed it off a mate, installed it, and spent hours making up my team. I left the starting town, and within 2 minutes of leaving the gates, my whole team were dead. I turned it off, uninstalled, and gave it back. Wasn't having any of that.

Having finished Zelda I'm now itching for an RPG to fill the void. With no date on the Switch versions, I'm tempted to get Torment on the iPad instead. It's eight years since I last played it, and I've just about forgotten it all, so it's probably time to go again.

Has anyone here played the iPad version?

6 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

I'll always remember the short experience I had of Icewind dale. I borrowed it off a mate, installed it, and spent hours making up my team. I left the starting town, and within 2 minutes of leaving the gates, my whole team were dead. I turned it off, uninstalled, and gave it back. Wasn't having any of that.

I had almost exactly that experience with one of the Baldur's Gate games. Started a game, talked to some NPCs for a bit, wandered in the direction I thought the game was directing me, got slaughtered by the first hostile I encountered. Never played it again. 

• Empathy 1

18 hours ago, Thwomp said:

Icewind Dale was just endless fights, with a lip-service number of side quests sprinkled in between the carnage. I get the sense it might’ve appealed to those who enjoyed the spell casting/prioritising/stat balancing of weapons and armor in the BG games, but for me those parts were always a means to an end. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

Having finished Zelda I'm now itching for an RPG to fill the void. With no date on the Switch versions, I'm tempted to get Torment on the iPad instead. It's eight years since I last played it, and I've just about forgotten it all, so it's probably time to go again.

Has anyone here played the iPad version?

No, but I've played the Baldur's Gate games extensively on iPad and imagine the control set up is identical.  

3 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Anything known yet about controls?

Not to my knowledge.

Just now, Garibaldi said:

Icewind Dale was just endless fights, with a lip-service number of side quests sprinkled in between the carnage. I get the sense it might’ve appealed to those who enjoyed the spell casting/prioritising/stat balancing of weapons and armor in the BG games, but for me those parts were always a means to an end. 

I liken Icewind Dale to the board game behemoth which is Gloomhaven - all the enjoyment comes from combat and party composition, with story well to the background.  I also miss the banter between team members which is such a big feature of BG2 and PT.

1 minute ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

No, but I've played the Baldur's Gate games extensively on iPad and imagine the control set up is identical.

Yeah, me too - I played both BG games to completion on iPad, but it was ages back and I can't remember a thing now.

54 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

Yeah, me too - I played both BG games to completion on iPad, but it was ages back and I can't remember a thing now.

There are just a few awkward interactions using the touch screen controls for BG, such as splitting stacks (a rapid double tap?), readying spells (someone raised this issue in ATF fairly recently but I couldn't recall the exact solution) and the old bug-bear of group pathfinding.  I imagine some of these are inherently less of an issue with PT.

44 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Not to my knowledge.

I liken Icewind Dale to the board game behemoth which is Gloomhaven - all the enjoyment comes from combat and party composition, with story well to the background.  I also miss the banter between team members which is such a big feature of BG2 and PT.

Wasn't Icewind Dale the combat focused dungeon crawler co-op one that started out life on PlayStation?