rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
wev

Gaming Myths

Here's a myth that seemed to be commonly repeated some years ago: that PAL 50Hz games are slowed down by 17.5% compared to the NTSC 60Hz versions.

A simple 1-(50/60) calculation gives you a figure of 16.7% slower. But somehow the number that became received wisdom, seemingly quoted all over the place, was 17.5%, and I've no idea where it originated.

Look at all these results for 17.5!

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&q=pal+slowdown+17.5

One of those pages is this 2011 forum thread, questioning where that number came from:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=56240

• Upvote 4

Mega Man games are hard (Only applies to the very first 1 on NES which didn't use a password system) the rest can all be finished in a day, long as you don't mind dying a few times to work out the bosses attack pattern.

Mortal Kombat 1 SNES gore cheat, the official UK Nintendo magazine at the time did a real classic on this one with one of the best April Fools ever.

22 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Pfft, C64 and ZX owners versed in chuntey rituals would leave the room - ideally standing outside the door with their arm stretched out when they hit play on the tape.

Daley Thompson's Decathlon would only load on my +2 if I put the tape in the drive under the slot. How the fuck I figured that out at the time I have no idea. Outrun would only load with the the machine upside down. :hmm:

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Here's a myth that seemed to be commonly repeated some years ago: that PAL 50Hz games are slowed down by 17.5% compared to the NTSC 60Hz versions.

A simple 1-(50/60) calculation gives you a figure of 16.7% slower. But somehow the number that became received wisdom, seemingly quoted all over the place, was 17.5%, and I've no idea where it originated.

One of those pages is this 2011 forum thread, questioning where that number came from:

I struggle a little with the concept of calculating a percentage "slower". A frame that takes 16.67 ms in a 60 Hz system will take 20 ms in a 50 Hz system. That makes the PAL version take 3.333 ms longer, which is 20% of the original.

So it takes 20% longer. Is that 20% slower? I dunno.

But it's not 17.5%, you're right about that.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I struggle a little with the concept of calculating a percentage "slower". A frame that takes 16.67 ms in a 60 Hz system will take 20 ms in a 50 Hz system. That makes the PAL version take 3.333 ms longer, which is 20% of the original.

So it takes 20% longer. Is that 20% slower? I dunno.

But it's not 17.5%, you're right about that.

Depends on how you calculate it, relative to PAL or NTSC

60/50= 1.2

50/60 = 16.7

So compared to 50Hz, NTSC is 20% faster, but compared to 60Hz, PAL is 16.7% slower.

Neither equates to 17.5% though.

20 hours ago, Nick R said:

17.5% was the VAT rate...

• Upvote 1

On 08/02/2019 at 13:12, Simbo said:

Someone opening your bedroom door whilst a game was loading causing an R Tape loading error, 0:1

This is not only not a myth, but proven true. It was even reported on Inside Out.

22 hours ago, Riven said:

Mortal Kombat 1 SNES gore cheat, the official UK Nintendo magazine at the time did a real classic on this one with one of the best April Fools ever.

Was that the one involving balancing a 2p coin on the cartridge?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Was that the one involving balancing a 2p coin on the cartridge?

Yeah that was it! It told you the cart had to be a certain serial number but, if it wasn't, you could "trick" the SNES into thinking it was the later, heavier cart be taping a 2p coin on top.

The only other thing I remember from the article is a mention of a Mr Rolf Apilo and it being an anagram of April Fool. I've been wary of anagram people ever since I falling for that one. I was only ten! :blush:

EDIT: Found a tweet with scans of the article! It was April 1994 so I was actually eleven. No excuse.

• Upvote 4

On 08/02/2019 at 01:53, deerokus said:

It was assumed to be a myth as I remember, but then turned out to be true. Sega Chris Benoit'd him. It's quite a bit more complicated than that, and is an interesting story - this video is very good on the subject. 

That can’t mean what I think it means, so what does it mean?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, therearerules said:

That can’t mean what I think it means, so what does it mean?

Essentially rewrote history to exclude him, as the WWE did with Benoit, rather than what Benoit himself did.

Here’s something I seem to remember but not sure if it was a myth or not. The Commodore 64 tape deck had a long bit of metal wire sticking out of the back - if you touched it to the right pin in the cartridge port, you could reset the machine (to enter POKEs); if you touched the wrong pin, it would destroy the machine. Also, you shouldn’t touch the wire during loading as it would fuck up the loading. 

Edit: Oh, and keep the tape deck and wire as far as possible from the telly while loading. And preferably get out of the room as soon as you hit Commodore key when the program’s found.

The bit about the long wire is a myth, but the pin on the cartridge port is true.  Pretty sure you could buy reset buttons that fit in the cartridge and did the job.

On 09/02/2019 at 22:49, joffocakes said:

Yeah that was it! It told you the cart had to be a certain serial number but, if it wasn't, you could "trick" the SNES into thinking it was the later, heavier cart be taping a 2p coin on top.

The only other thing I remember from the article is a mention of a Mr Rolf Apilo and it being an anagram of April Fool. I've been wary of anagram people ever since I falling for that one. I was only ten! :blush:

EDIT: Found a tweet with scans of the article! It was April 1994 so I was actually eleven. No excuse.

I was 13 and I remember falling for it too and asking for MK for my birthday that year. 

On 09/02/2019 at 22:49, joffocakes said:

It was April 1994 so I was actually eleven. No excuse

If it makes you feel any better, I was 16 in April 1994, working in the games industry (do should have known the weighing down the cart thing was nonsense), and I tried it for a good half hour or so.

• Upvote 1

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:52, Simbo said:

Never used a joystick ever on the old 48k just didn't feel right.

QAOP and M most times although I did prefer 67890 for certain games though, on reflection, I've no idea why.  

Do remember having a screwdriver and constantly mucking about with the tape head.  

ZX, KOP