wev

Gaming Myths

Let's discuss myths and shit that surround gaming and debunk or prove them where applicable. There's two that crop up regularly, both have been mentioned in the "silly mistakes" thread.

1. "The great games industry crash"

This is the one where Atari made too many copies of ET which, according to some, led to the entire games industry crashing. 

Now, this one we know to be false, the "crash" only happened in North America with Britain in particular having a very healthy games industry.

2. "Pokémon saved Nintendo"

Apparently Nintendo were in dire straits off the back of the N64 "failing" and that the release of Pokémon was so successful that the company was rescued from potentially going under. I've no idea if this one is true or not.

Any more? Anyone able to elaborate on the above better than I can or provide facts and evidence that dis/prove them 

15 minutes ago, wev said:

Let's discuss myths and shit that surround gaming and debunk or prove them where applicable. There's two that crop up regularly, both have been mentioned in the "silly mistakes" thread.

1. "The great games industry crash"

This is the one where Atari made too many copies of ET which, according to some, led to the entire games industry crashing. 

Now, this one we know to be false, the "crash" only happened in North America with Britain in particular having a very healthy games industry.

2. "Pokémon saved Nintendo"

Apparently Nintendo were in dire straits off the back of the N64 "failing" and that the release of Pokémon was so successful that the company was rescued from potentially going under. I've no idea if this one is true or not.

Any more? Anyone able to elaborate on the above better than I can or provide facts and evidence that dis/prove them 

1. It led to the USA games industry crashing no where else, like you say.

2. Rare kept Nintendo afloat during the N64 years. Infact, Goldeneye can be attributed to it's success long term I'd say. However, Pokemon did keep N64 interest going especially as Rare pretty much stopped making N64 games (or at least ones that has mass market appeal). Plus, Pokemon was pretty much the reason GB survived for so long and probably kept the handheld market as strong as it was for a long time. 

The "crash" wasn't even the the whole US games industry either as far as I've ever been able to tell. The computer and arcade sides of things just kept ticking along on their own trajectories.

• Upvote 1

Two pokemon gen 1 specials:

- There's a mew under the truck next to S.S.Anne, you have to surf there and use strength on it.

- If you press Down + B at the time the pokeball snaps shut, it increases the success rate of capture.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

- If you press Down + B at the time the pokeball snaps shut, it increases the success rate of capture.

You get a lot of these whenever you have a random number generator involved. Gran Turismo 3 had loads of ways to "choose" the one-in-four chance prize you wanted.

18 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

The "towel trick" fixing Xbox 360's red ring. ;) 

I thought that was to get a red ring of death, if you're xbox had died of any other cause, so that you could claim for a replacement.

Pokémon is the biggest media brand of all-time, generating more money than Star Wars has (and in less time), so I think it's slightly more impactful than Rare.

It's unsurprising to see that the list of biggest media brands is generally child-centric in nature.

1. Pokémon
  2. Hello Kitty
  3. Winnie the Pooh
  4. Mickey Mouse & Friends
  5. Star Wars
  • Upvote 2

1. Being able to get the triforce in OoT.

2. Being able to marry Princess Zelda in OoT. 

3. Being able to beat the Running Man in OoT. 

4. That the facility on the other side of the reservoir in the dam level of Goldeneye was a huuuuge secret level. 

5. Being able to get to Carcer City in GTAIII.

Fell for all of them :(

38 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I thought that was to get a red ring of death, if you're xbox had died of any other cause, so that you could claim for a replacement.

It's both - I believe the theory behind the myth was that the excess heat generated from being wrapped in a towel would soften the solder holding the chips, allowing them to bond more effectively. I never tried it though, so who knows...

The towel trick does 'work' though sometimes, in the same way that freezing hard drives or sticking PC parts in the oven for a bit 'works'. The problem is the effect is temporary at best and doesn't fix the underlying cause.

RROD had the same root cause as Nvidia GPU failures, the change in solder formulation caused it to more easily crack due to heat stress.

Microsoft put form ahead of function when they originally designed the X360 in a vain attempt to appeal to Japanese buyers and keep costs down by using the cheapest cooling solution they could get away with, or didn't in this case.

It would be interesting to know whether the towel thing actually worked, or whether it was just down to confirmation bias and the fact that a dying 360 might briefly and intermittently turn on every so often. It was bandied about on here as scientific fact (and to be honest, I never really questioned it until now), but did anyone actually ever get it to work?

Towel trick defo worked. We went through 360's like socks in the Halo 2 days. I think I had 5 in my first 2 years... Towel trick bought you a couple more weeks of life out of them.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I posted about it in another thread, but the myth EA fucked over Respawn with the Titanfall 2 release date when I'm actuality, Respawn chose the date themselves because they wanted to go head to head against CoD. 

Although, to be fair a decent publisher might have tapped Respawn's CEO on the shoulder and just asked:

"Are you really sure about that? Because...y'know...you won't win. It doesn't matter if CoD is awful, it'll still beat you in sales"

Other myths - seemingly one which only the games industry believes in...no-one plays games in summer, so better wait until Autumn/Winter and spunk our collectives loads all over the public because clearly that makes so much sense it hurts my head.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

The Commode 64 was better than the Spectrum.

I think my partner's Grandad has one of those

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, jonamok said:

There’s the bizarre myth that there’s nothing down the well in Dark Souls’ Firelink Shrine. Obviously not true, as anyone who’s managed to make the jump into it can attest!

The well in New Londo Ruins is even better, especially if you make it down there without having any homeward bones in your inventory!