Ianos

Wireless controllers on retro consoles

Wires can do one, frankly, so I started looking into the ever-increasing wealth of wireless controllers folks are making for old consoles and... well, there's a lot.

There's the 8bitdo ones which can pair to a NES and SNES with the correct receivers, the upcoming Retro-bit Saturn controller, the Dreamcast Bluetooth controller that chap hacked together in Greece (which I spent a small fortune on but bah gawd it's great), Brook's range of adapters - one of which I used that lets me use a Dualshock 4 on my NeoGeo, Krikkz's absolutely superb wireless Mega Drive pad the Joyzz, and the upcoming Hyperkin Admiral for the N64, to name but a few.

But beyond that, there's even more stuff. I wanted something wireless for my Amiga, and I've got two solutions in the works. One is an adapter that makes a 6-button Mega Drive pad function like a CD32 controller on the Amiga - and a side effect of it is it allows a Joyzz to function too. The other is this, which I've purchased as of yesterday out of sheer curiosity - the most jury rigged thing I've ever seen, yet I already love it dearly.

Anyone else been bitten by the wireless bug? Any other controllers out there I should be paying attention to?

I should note a) I've also got a couple of rubbish 2.4ghz generic wireless pads in the post for the PS2 and Xbox, and b) I intend to put together a video on these controllers in the near future, so you'd be helping me out if I've missed anything major.

• Upvote 1

8bitdo is doing a 6-button Mega Drive pad called the M30. They have some kind of partnership on the go with Analogue so the M30 will be the 'official' controller for the new Analogue Mega Drive, and it'll also work on other devices in much the same way as the existing 8bitdo controllers do.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

8bitdo is doing a 6-button Mega Drive pad called the M30. They have some kind of partnership on the go with Analogue so the M30 will be the 'official' controller for the new Analogue Mega Drive, and it'll also work on other devices in much the same way as the existing 8bitdo controllers do.

Ah, of course. I'm actually not going to pick one up though - I'll do the same as I did for the SNES and buy one of their DIY kits, which let you convert the original pad to a bluetooth one. It's really easy, otherwise I definitely wouldn't bother.

But yeah, pair that with a receiver in the MD, which I assume they'll release, and bosh. Would have to test it with all the machines that have DB9 connectors, too. Of course.

The wireless kits really are amazing- a night and day difference between the 8BitDo pads themselves and a modified SNES Mini controller. I think I modded both of my pads in around ten minutes. I hope they expand the range.

It's piss easy, isn't it? I was worried I'd bugger up some more soldering or something, but it's just unscrew, take old one out, put old one in (and line it up), re-screw.

And now my SNES pad is so comfortable to use wirelessly, I've forgotten I even modded it and any time I have to use a wired SNES pad I get annoyed. Ah, spoilt.

• Upvote 1

I had to import mine directly from 8BitDo. I couldn't find them for sale in the UK.

On 07/02/2019 at 13:06, Ianos said:

It's piss easy, isn't it? I was worried I'd bugger up some more soldering or something, but it's just unscrew, take old one out, put old one in (and line it up), re-screw.

And now my SNES pad is so comfortable to use wirelessly, I've forgotten I even modded it and any time I have to use a wired SNES pad I get annoyed. Ah, spoilt.

The only bad thing I could say about them is that I'm not thrilled with having a proprietary charger but given the intent behind the design, it's forgivable!

On 08/02/2019 at 12:14, Alexlotl said:

Where do you get the 8bitdo DIY kits from in the UK? I have a SNES pad awaiting conversion. 

I got mine direct from 8bitdo, too. But some folk sell them on Ebay for slightly inflated prices. Nothing too heinous, mind.