rllmuk
Goose

Prospect - Sci Fi Feature - Comparisons to Moon

This gained some buzz back when it was shown at a few films festivals, with comparisons to the like of Moon and similar other pictures.

Stars Pedro Pascal - it's out to stream from today from what I can tell.

A teenage girl and her father travel to a remote alien moon| aiming to strike it rich. They've secured a contract to harvest a large deposit of the elusive gems hidden in the depths of the moon's toxic forest. But there are others roving the wilderness and the job quickly devolves into a fight to survive. Forced to contend not only with the forest's other ruthless inhabitants| but with her own father's greed-addled judgement| the girl finds she must carve her own path to escape

Trailer seems very spoiler heavy so might be worth giving it a miss - here it is anyway 

• Upvote 2

Saw this last night. Absolutely loved it. The best indie sci-fi film I've seen in a long time. Really atmospheric, great world building and very good performances from both of the leads.

Justwatch is a good app to search where you can stream/rent/buy shows & films.

It says not available to stream yet.

No idea. It said streaming services on the Rotten Tomatoes movie info. So I assume rental streams like Google Play and Rakuten TV

8 minutes ago, Pob said:

Streaming to where?

Apparently streaming on something called Breaker.

No, I never heard of it either. I don't know if it even covers outside the US.

I really don't like this fragmenting of streaming services. If you want to make sure your indie film gets people watching and promoting your work you have to make it widely available not stuck on some obscure platform no-one's heard of. Unless that platform fronted the cash I guess.

This was great. The kind of smaller scale interesting Sci Fi that’s right up my street. With films like this Annihilation, Ex Machina and Moon, it’s great to see more thought provoking Sci Fi so we’ll represented in cinema these days. Really hope this gets a uk release as I need it on blu Ray.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the heads up on this film, would never have heard of it otherwise.

Thought it was excellent, the main leads were great, story was intriguing and gripping. The production design was worth it alone, adore that style of work.

I didn't watch the trailer or even read the synopsis prior to watching it, to go in cold. I know I've loved a film (or TV show) when once it has finished, I devour all articles, essays, information I can find to learn more about the process, opinions etc

Interesting, that this was initially made as a 14 minute short by the same team in 2014 (different people infront of the camera) and then expanded into a feature.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Is this still only "available" on the high seas? 

Afraid so. I’ve been trying to find if it’s ever coming out in the UK, but can’t find any info about it anywhere. Don’t know if it’s something to do with the exclusivity deal it signed with that US streaming site.

• Upvote 2

Very good, thanks for the heads up.

Spoiler

I dread to think about what sort of fucked up world (galaxy / system spanning empire) they are living in. 

Exciting, well acted, great script and ideas. I too went in completely and utterly clueless to what it was about and was glad I did - it's hidden depths was much more because of that, like slipping on a mask that lets you see a parallel universe, just for a bit.

Just seen this and do not get the praise at all. I loved the soundtrack and thought the writing was surprisingly decent but overall found it to be rather dull and by the numbers. The comparisons to Moon are completely lost on me as well as that film sets out to do much more interesting things, thematically speaking. Moon is simply captivating from beginning 'till end whereas in Prospect there's hardly even a point to the sci-fi setting. It's about as similar to Moon as Moon is to Event Horizon and Interstellar (ie: not much). So yeah bit of an average affair which in my opinion is only held up by Pedro Pascal's performance. I think this would've worked much better as a short film.

Neg away. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Just noticed that this is now available to buy/rent on UK streaming sites.

Me too, with the upshot that I just finished watching it this evening.

Liked it a lot. It's that raw, rough around the edges sci-fi that really hits the spot. Definitely worth your rental dosh to support it.

• Upvote 3

Just came to post this is 4.99 on iTunes... But I guess it's old news now :D

Not even seen a trailer yet, so looking forward to this.

• Upvote 1