rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bum

Sky Kid appreciation

Reading reviews of the Namco Museum pack on the Switch, I was annoyed to read that the package as a whole was good, but Sky Kid was one of its lame ducks.

I love SKy Kid.  I first discovered it on holiday in Spain back in the 80s.  It's very challenging (assuming you want to bomb the enemy ships and bases, rather than just surviving the level) and it has aged well.  The version of it on the Switch pack seems to me to be pretty much arcade perfect.  Much better than the Famicom and Game Boy versions.

Any other fans of Sky Kid?

• Upvote 2

Not particularly a fan as such in that it's a game I never encountered in the arcades despite being a fairly regular seaside visitor in the 80s. I do have the Namco Museum pack on the Switch though so will give it a bit more time - fired it up when first bought but it didn't grab me instantly.

I never knew it existed until about 6 or 7 years ago when someone picked it for a score compeition on the WayoftheRodent a forum. I fell in love with it :)

• Upvote 1

I'm not actually very good at it, and can only clear about the 7th mission.  It's still one of the first things I play when I turn the Wii U on.

It certainly is tough.  Enemy planes fill the sky from both directions of the screen, and those bastard anti-aircraft guns get me nearly every time.

• Upvote 1

Stuff em! Sky Kid was great, one of those games I kept seeing on holiday over at Great Yarmouth. Really easy to get into and only 10p, parents would drop me off on this cab for ages :lol:

• Upvote 1

The first thing that seems apparent when looking at it is the speed at which those bullets fire from the ground. I can imagine that didn’t help at all. 

I'm going to have to look up what my highscore was when we played it for a week. I think it was about 200K, no idea what level / stage that got me to mind.

5 hours ago, elyuw said:

I'm going to have to look up what my highscore was when we played it for a week. I think it was about 200K, no idea what level / stage that got me to mind.

Hmm, turns out it is only 130K;

0009.png

0010.png

• Upvote 1

On 05/02/2019 at 00:05, bum said:

I love SKy Kid.

Any other fans of Sky Kid?

10 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Stuff em! Sky Kid was great...

Thanks. Love you too :wub:

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, elyuw said:

Hmm, turns out it is only 130K;

0009.png

0010.png

That's a great score, but does that mean only two targets successfully destroyed?

8 hours ago, bum said:

That's a great score, but does that mean only two targets successfully destroyed?

Yeah I guess so, a poor show by me given the 125K score had 4 hits. It's a risk reward thing isn't it, I probably got further into the game on the 130K one because I didn't die trying to get the targets.