Gord

First film seen at the cinema

So what was the first film you say at the cinema...

Mine was ET. It was a Saturday Matinee at the Odeon in Inverness for a school friends birthday.  I must have been only 5 or 6 at the time and have a loathing of the film to this very day - not sure why though.

What I do remember is this horrific and nightmarish serial that played before it...

....that tune has haunted me.

I also remember dropping a star wars figure in the boating lake, one of the girls falling in and having to go shopping for new clothes and the birthday girls dad hitting 100 mph driving as home.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Star Wars in 1977

i honestly thought it was either Cat from Outer Space or Spaceman and King Arthur but just looked up both and they came after

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, linkster said:

Star Wars in 1977

i honestly thought it was either Cat from Outer Space or Spaceman and King Arthur but just looked up both and they came after

Wow what an introduction to cinema - you loved it?

Star Trek TMP because my dad wanted to see it. Obviously didn't appreciate it at the age of 3 but  it's one of my favorite trek movies which I only recognised  30 years later, there's a proper sense of mystery and otherness about  the  "alien"  causing the kerfuffle.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Gord said:

Wow what an introduction to cinema - you loved it?

I was only four so I can’t honestly remember specifics 

i have very very clear memories of Empire two years later - queuing around the block, having toothache but still getting bought a bag of super  jelly beans, my dad snoring and me being terrified of Yoda

Bizarrely, the first film I remember seeing at a cinema was Alien in 1979 when I would have been aged 6. We lived in Taiwan at the time and the only way to watch western films was at a cinema on the nearby American military base. The screenings were mainly for the adults but no one seemed to give a shit about us children being there as well. Different times I guess.

• Empathy 1

Christ i saw that aged about 10 and had nightmares for years afterwards.  I ended up buying a poster of the alien so I always knew It was fake and wasnt really coming for me. 

• Upvote 1

Roger Rabbit at Hammersmith cinema, now sadly a hole in the ground. Second was Home Alone at Whitelys, back when it was posh, and the third, strangely, was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

I think it was Herbie Rides Again. I also saw The Black Cauldron back around then, but I think the Herbie one was first. Neither one would have been their original release, but sometime in the early 80s.

The Neverending Story.

I remember I was terrified of the beast in the cave, and particularly surprised to see (what my young self thought was) my Uncle as the protagonists' Dad.

Fairly certain it was Flash Gordon at the Empire Leicester Square in 1980. Was just me and my dad and I remember having a coke float for the first time. As great an experience as it was, it didn’t shut out nightmares of Peter Duncan fisting a predatory tree. 

The next time time I visited the same cinema, I went to see Event Horizon with my girlfriend, now-wife. It was a matinee showing in the week and we were the only people in this vast cathedral of a cinema screen. The emptiness of the screening helped to feed our uneasiness which was compounded by the scares on screen. With about 10 minutes to go, she was clutching hold of my arm. This wasn’t helped by a voice from behind us asking us how we were finding the film at a quiet moment. One of the staff had crept in and as soon as we heard his question, we both screamed. It was at that point, she worked out I was never going to be an alpha male. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Roger Rabbit at Hammersmith cinema, now sadly a hole in the ground. Second was Home Alone at Whitelys, back when it was posh, and the third, strangely, was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

Getting all nostalgic about the place but the Odeon in Renfield Street in Glasgow is where I saw Empire, Raiders, then years later The Doors, last I saw it’d been run down to point of being turned into flats. Such a shame as I’d love to go back just to understand the scale of it vs my memory - always a bit disappointing if a screen nowadays doesn’t feel as big, there’s one in my local which is massive and I love it, the sound just has a scale to it that makes it feel like the old place

• Upvote 1

The first one I can remember and have memories of is Jurassic Park, I'll have been 6 at the time. My brother assures me it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles though but I think I saw Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast too but JP is the first I can specifically remember. 

I suspect it was an old Disney re-release of Robin Hood (they seemed to bung them on all the time when I was little). 

Although the first thing I distinctly remember watching at the cinema were Bugs Bunny cartoons in a London Cinema - which I still remember thinking was pretty awesome. My love for the wabbit has never dimmed over the years!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

I suspect it was an old Disney re-release of Robin Hood (they seemed to bung them on all the time when I was little). 

Although the first thing I distinctly remember watching at the cinema were Bugs Bunny cartoons in a London Cinema - which I still remember thinking was pretty awesome. My love for the wabbit has never dimmed over the years!

I really need to get hold of The Loony Loony Loony Bugs Bunny movie, used to have it recorded off the TV, the one where Daffy and Bugs compete on stage to win an Oswald award, just amazing 

• Upvote 1

My town didn't have a cinema- would have to go to the local city for films - but we did have a travelling cinema which would set up in the local community centre. Anyone else experience that?

29 minutes ago, linkster said:

Getting all nostalgic about the place but the Odeon in Renfield Street in Glasgow is where I saw Empire, Raiders, then years later The Doors, last I saw it’d been run down to point of being turned into flats. Such a shame as I’d love to go back just to understand the scale of it vs my memory - always a bit disappointing if a screen nowadays doesn’t feel as big, there’s one in my local which is massive and I love it, the sound just has a scale to it that makes it feel like the old place

i remember fondly that my Odeon was dark, so wonderfully dark. Modern cinemas have too much light and exit signs for my liking. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gord said:

My town didn't have a cinema- would have to go to the local city for films - but we did have a travelling cinema which would set up in the local community centre. Anyone else experience that?

My town was five miles from Glasgow and had long since shut down the cinema

however I spent every summer on an island off the west coast working in a fairground in the arcades and there was a town hall and I’d get so wound up when they posted the films for that month, I saw so many movies there - The ABBA Movie, Superman II, Footloose, Big Trouble in Little China, Spaceballs, Best Defence

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gord said:

i remember fondly that my Odeon was dark, so wonderfully dark. Modern cinemas have too much light and exit signs for my liking. 

Cineworld and Vue are the worst so I never go, Showcase only now dims lights fully when movie starts 

Star Wars in 1977 in the Warrington Odeon.

I distinctly remember seeing that Star Destroyer fly over my head with my mouth open, feeling crushed into the huge seat by the visuals and the sounds.

Pretty much defined what I would like in a film from then onwards.

• Upvote 1

Is it Ghostbusters 2?

It is, actually. When I was five years old. My mum took me on the train while she was pregnant with my younger brother.

I loved the first film and the cartoon, and I took my Egon action figure with me. This one:

the-real-ghostbusters---fright-features-

I remember being utterly terrified by the Scoleri Brothers on the huge screen in front of me, but I loved it. I don’t really understand the hate towards it, because it was such a big part of my childhood. I was too young to see them as comedy films at the time too, and enjoyed the ghosts and the slime more than anything, which it delivers by the bucketload.

• Upvote 2