rllmuk
Commander Jameson

Apollo 11 (June 2019) - Documentary

That looks absolutely incredible.

The quality and style of the 70mm footage makes it look more like a movie than a documentary of an actual event fifty years ago. Can't wait to see the full thing..

Couple of new articles. The first goes into some more detail about how the documentary came about and the restoration process.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/27/we-felt-a-huge-responsibility-behind-the-landmark-apollo-11-documentary

The second is an interview with JoAnn Morgan, one of the few women working at Kennedy Space Center on the day of the launch.

FB1-BC1-FC-5533-44-DD-B41-D-E7-A5-E058-D

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/12/joann-morgan-nasa-apollo-11-interview

Already out in IMAX in the US. General release there next week. No news on UK release date yet though.

Saw this at IMAX today as I’m visiting New York. Not really much to say as it’s exactly what you’d expect. It “just” shows you the event from launch to splash down in order. I liked how it just gets straight into it. The footage is astonishing and I felt quite emotional at times. I was worried when a toddler arrived a few seats away but they were mesmerised. Definitely make the effort to see it in IMAX if that’s an option.

• Upvote 2

Saw this last night  at imax . Wonderful stuff . Nothing revolutionary but an excellent no nonsense record of the mission , all the voice over is either real transmissions or news items from Kronkite . The launch is as you would imagine , is spectacular in imax . The landing is handled superbly given the limitations of the footage as is the return to earth . 

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Saw this last night  at imax . Wonderful stuff . Nothing revolutionary but an excellent no nonsense record of the mission , all the voice over is either real transmissions or news items from Kronkite . The launch is as you would imagine , is spectacular in imax . The landing is handled superbly given the limitations of the footage as is the return to earth . 

Me too! At the BFI, it looked great.

The sound design throughout is excellent, as is the soundtrack. Even though you know the story back to front the editing and sound just draw you in and add loads of tension. 

I went to see this tonight and thought it was brilliant. I loved how it told the story purely with video, photos and audio from the time, free of interviews or other nonsense. They did a great job of showing the main beats of the mission, giving it all a real time and place, and the photography - particularly the 65mm stuff - was breathtaking. I actually found it tense despite knowing how the story ended, seeing it all from the control room’s point of view, and it made me appreciate the genius from all involved to make the moon landing happen.

• Upvote 2

I also saw it last night, presumably with Paulando in a rllmuk date night from nowhere. Great stuff, and I honestly thought that footage must have been spliced with rendered imagery. It was gorgeous. The whole landing sequence played out in real time was near perfect.

I am never not amazed at the whole accomplishment. As a feat of engineering, industry and sheer willpower, and as an event to bring together the world, it's nigh peerless.

We've had some good experiences so far in my lifetime, robotic Martian exploration and the Pluto fly by among them. But sending men has a romance that mere electronics can't match. A stunning moment.

• Upvote 2