IGNORED

Eat Soup

Sardan

Think I've had a bit of a soup epiphany with this roasting veg off in spices lark before blitzing, not sure you can go wrong with the basic concept. I had a few different bits in yesterday so roasted up some small potatoes in skins, carrots, cherry toms, red onions & garlic in an oil/cumin/coriander/turmeric/paprika mix.

Blitzed the whole lot again in stock after roasting off, blob of butter and seasoning and another delicious soup quite different from the first one, far less sweet with no parsnips or sweet potato (I can't fathom how people like those, they are an awful thing).

Think butternut squash my next try out for a place as the body of the soup. Basic ratio seems to be to start with a couple of kilos of veg before roasting to a litre or so of stock, and make sure you pick up all that roasting pan caramelisation to really round out the flavour

Yeah, this is a really easy way to get some real flavour out of some very basic and very cheap foods. Even better if you can chuck a tray of veg in the oven when you're already cooking something else. 

I'm with you on the no sweet vegetables in soup though. Parsnips and sweet potatoes just overpower everything else in there. 

We have been making a hearty meatball and pasta soup lately which my son really likes served with a buttered dinner roll. Nothing fancy, just used mini meatballs instead of big ones with some chopped veg, a can of tomatoes with stock and soup pasta. 

30 minutes ago, ZOK said:

You don’t like parsnips or sweet potatoes @Gotters? My good god. They are both amazing!

I had sweet potato fries with a haloumi burger yesterday and have parsnip soup for my lunch today. :sherlock:

sweet potatoes are vile things and nobody will ever convince me a sweet potato chip is better than a potato one. Ever.

my wording was confusing and i can see it looks like i included parsnips in that hate, i like a parsnip, especially roasted, but they can be a strong dominant taste

I make sweet potato wedges occasionally, but only a few alongside regular ones, so that I can chop and change. The odd one is nice, but a full portion is OTT. I like a baked sweet potato filled with my veggie chilli, or blue cheese (which sounds add, but works for me). I love a roast parsnip, but rarely eat anything they go with so don't have them very often (I'll be all over them for my christmas dinner though). And I've learnt the hard way not to put them in soups and stews. I agree, they just dominate, and I'm not mad keen on main courses that are sweet.

• 10 months later...
On 27/10/2021 at 07:57, Gotters said:

Think I've had a bit of a soup epiphany with this roasting veg off in spices lark before blitzing, not sure you can go wrong with the basic concept. I had a few different bits in yesterday so roasted up some small potatoes in skins, carrots, cherry toms, red onions & garlic in an oil/cumin/coriander/turmeric/paprika mix.

Blitzed the whole lot again in stock after roasting off, blob of butter and seasoning and another delicious soup quite different from the first one, far less sweet with no parsnips or sweet potato (I can't fathom how people like those, they are an awful thing).

Think butternut squash my next try out for a place as the body of the soup. Basic ratio seems to be to start with a couple of kilos of veg before roasting to a litre or so of stock, and make sure you pick up all that roasting pan caramelisation to really round out the flavour

after the madness of 42c temps there was something very comforting today in buying in and making the first batch of soup of the season. 

I love how this approach can use up a combo of what is in the fridge going to waste and some super cheap veg, Sainsbury do great packs with a swede, couple of snips, few carrots an onion and with Nectar offers it was a quid. Probably cost me more in electricity to roast it all off.

Todays batch was a couple of baking spuds cubed up, chopped up pack of spring onions, 6 garlic cloves then a bag of imperfect peppers and the stew veg mix with a few fresh herbs. The important bit is roasting it all off in oil & spice mix to really develop the flavours, then I blitz up in a blender with veg stock to get a really nice smooth texture. 

8 good portions and probably about £4 including power.

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired myself with the last one, the lentil soup. Had everything in to make it other than a fresh tomato, so used a squeeze of concentrate instead, otherwise followed the recipe. Most impressed my spice stocks had aleppo pepper flakes in. 

Brilliant and different soup, the smooth spicy lentil with the sharp tangy vinegar finishing 'tasha' is a great combo, needs the bread chips too. Didn't do double vinegar as it suggests, just the one with the pressed garlic in which goes in the soup.

Well worth trying if you want something a bit different and a great start to soup season.

Screenshot_19_09_2022__12_42.thumb.jpg.c51dcd380242096d0c3b78a11c6ace77.jpg

That looks banging. Will have to try it. I was actually thinking of trying to replicate Sainsbury's Lentil Dahl Soup, which is one of my faves if I don't feel like cooking (I do a pretty good copy of their tomato, pepper and red lentil one, but I've always sucked at dahl, so that feels more of a challenge, despite being able to read the ingredients off the container.

Think I'll give this a go first, cheers.

2 hours ago, Reynard said:

Love the Sainsburys spiced red lentil and tomato soup - good price and decent amount of protein.

Yeah - it's lovely comfort food. Might have to try it over the pitta chips from the lentil soup Gotters made above. That'll stick to your ribs for a while.

Edit: Oh yeah - for the pitta chips, put them through the toaster first before drizzling with oil and seasoning/spices and sticking in the oven. Theyll need much less time and energy to reach the same place.