IGNORED

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

T Pot

@PugYou'll be fine. Plenty of big Warzone streamers made the transition recently (e.g. Nickmercs). 

It's a very similar concept, but there are differences in the rhythm of the game and obviously the traversal and legend abilities (though these don't make as much of a difference as you'd think until you start getting higher in ranked matches). There's also an Arena mode now (and occasionally a time limited mode called Control) which will let you practice in a more arena style shooter environment. Play Bloodhound, get wall hacks, run people down. 

There's less cheating too (than Warzone), although it's still pretty rife. It's also slightly more visually arresting to play (and more escapist than the shootymans of Warzone).The skill bar is far lower on console, PC lobbies can be quite sweaty. On PC you're also best squadding up with at least one controller player as a fragger, as once you get to Plat and above about 60% of players are now on pad (drives me fucking mad) and you'll be autoaimed out of existence if you try to take a fight between 2 to 4 metres. Generally though, I find it far more pleasurable to play than other BRs, and even if you're getting beamed just b-hoping, sliding and Valkyrie-ing around the landscape is fun enough. 

If you look at the spiralling popularity of it as an esport too - the upcoming ALGS LAN could reach touching League of Legends viewing figures worldwide - I think it's certainly the BR of the moment and possibly the future too. 

I just uninstalled this.  I've been a pretty keen player for the past few years, dipping in and out.  I've played on playstation and PC.  I'm about 2 to 1 kd on PS and 1.7 to 1 ish on PC but for some reason the last couple of weeks have been a literal nightmare and last night just broke me.  

I played (played is a loose term) a half dozen games in an hour.  The first was over immediately as i looted 3 bins, not a weapon in any of the 3 bins, tried to run but by that time other teams are tooled and you then get swamped, 5 mins down, queue into the next game.  We don't hot drop this time so get a decent load out, go to the nearest shooting, down a team or two then a decent team rocks up on us and we're backed into zone, I portal us out to the side and we can get away, another team comes to the side, knock one and we can still get away but one of the team keeps running back where they were, get's trapped, downed and hammers the ping enemy screams help down the mike.  It's a death trap to go after them as they just pinned themselves so you try and get them, or just listen to the screaming for the next 5 mins while you skirt zone but you'll get done by a 3 man team eventually. I forget the next couple of games but they couldn't have been great because the last game I was feeling particularly fed up by this point and i went to get a drink.  I come back after a minute and after we're about to launch the lifeline ping hotzone and then drops 600 meters from it and we're landind well behind other teams.  So i decide and I'm just going to sit and watch this one.  We land 10 seconds after everyone else, hotzone has 4 teams in it, kitted and the lifeline decides that her face is the best thing to soak up bullets and just charges at the teams, downed in 3 seconds and the octane is running around like a mouse just discovered under the couch.  Then he goes down as well, not his fault really, totally expected.  I mean what the fuck are you meant to do here.  

Respawn want this to be a team game and it looks fantastic when you've got 3 stacked streamers laying waste to pubs and ranked but for the general public this games is a fucking mess.  Teams only work when people want to play as a team.  I felt like I literally got nothing out of an hour of time and it was totally wasted.  I just went to my bed in a right bad mood.

3 hours ago, tenrou said:

I just uninstalled this.  I've been a pretty keen player for the past few years, dipping in and out.  I've played on playstation and PC.  I'm about 2 to 1 kd on PS and 1.7 to 1 ish on PC but for some reason the last couple of weeks have been a literal nightmare and last night just broke me.  

I played (played is a loose term) a half dozen games in an hour.  The first was over immediately as i looted 3 bins, not a weapon in any of the 3 bins, tried to run but by that time other teams are tooled and you then get swamped, 5 mins down, queue into the next game.  We don't hot drop this time so get a decent load out, go to the nearest shooting, down a team or two then a decent team rocks up on us and we're backed into zone, I portal us out to the side and we can get away, another team comes to the side, knock one and we can still get away but one of the team keeps running back where they were, get's trapped, downed and hammers the ping enemy screams help down the mike.  It's a death trap to go after them as they just pinned themselves so you try and get them, or just listen to the screaming for the next 5 mins while you skirt zone but you'll get done by a 3 man team eventually. I forget the next couple of games but they couldn't have been great because the last game I was feeling particularly fed up by this point and i went to get a drink.  I come back after a minute and after we're about to launch the lifeline ping hotzone and then drops 600 meters from it and we're landind well behind other teams.  So i decide and I'm just going to sit and watch this one.  We land 10 seconds after everyone else, hotzone has 4 teams in it, kitted and the lifeline decides that her face is the best thing to soak up bullets and just charges at the teams, downed in 3 seconds and the octane is running around like a mouse just discovered under the couch.  Then he goes down as well, not his fault really, totally expected.  I mean what the fuck are you meant to do here.  

Respawn want this to be a team game and it looks fantastic when you've got 3 stacked streamers laying waste to pubs and ranked but for the general public this games is a fucking mess.  Teams only work when people want to play as a team.  I felt like I literally got nothing out of an hour of time and it was totally wasted.  I just went to my bed in a right bad mood.

I’m not sure why you think going into a game with 2 randoms will be a team experience?

In my experience this happens in most teams games - it’s just Battle Royale games are less forgiving with one life. 

Save yourself the stress and cue with friends or play ranked where at least (because of a 15 min ban) random teams stick together and stay around after being downed. 

I feel your pain though. I’m just back after a 3 day ban from venting my spleen at my ‘teammates’ from quitting early. 

I'm not talking about everyone having full good comms but at least having the same goals, some want to treat it as a pure shooter and sprint to the first fight possible, some want a loot simulator.  It can't be that hard to have some sort of indicator what peoples goals are?  I feel it needs more than ranked and pubs, or just split pubs. One with a slower ring and one with a quicker ring closure that would at least separate the goals a bit.  

Separating pubs might not be a bad idea actually.  I think one with an accelerated ring that closes quicker with a view to 5-10 min games would be a good thing.  

I'm always a solo player and I do get the occasional day where I'm stuck with dumb fucks as teammates. But you do also get those amazing days where everything gels together. Like last night where I got a nice win, thanks to some solid teammwork, revives and a Respawn (of me lol).

Dived back in and took me a while to remember how it all works, felt sorry for the teams I was in. I'll wait until the next season starts before getting a pass, I used to earn enough for new seasons and characters whilst playing so will be the first time I'll have to buy the credits.

5 hours ago, Gambit said:

New season trailer just dropped.

New Legend looks like Guardian from CW's Supergirl. And are they adding a Kaiju?

I think maybe, just the carcass of it.

• 3 weeks later...

So I think I might be done?

Have had an absolutely awful few days of games. Not helped by the fact they've changed the way Ranked scoring works so it feels like I'm getting nowhere (I'm still on Bronze 3 with barely any points ffs).

At least the Spitfire is back out of the care package I suppose.

They've changed ranked so it's actually ranked and scores correctly and promotes ALGS-lite gameplay. It's hard on Solos and Duos but it's the best change they've ever made to Apex. You want to stomp, play pubs. Ranked is superb now. And there are an awful lot of previously Plat and Diamond players who ain't ever getting back there again until they realise pressing W all the time isn't a viable tactic for comp.

To expand: 

The point of a BR is, fundamentally to win. Not rack up kills. Apex is great for many reasons, the movement, the balance between mkb and controller, the visuals, the Legend powers and the map design. But, at the end of the day there are endless tac and arena shooters available that promote killing other people first and foremost. If you look at pro-play in Apex it looked nothing like ranked in previous seasons. Pro-play is measured, tactical, based on positioning and relies on huge amounts of game sense. IGLs like sweet from NRG are a good example of the 5heading of a huge amount of factors you have to weigh when rotating in, or taking fights etc and how good this requires you to be. People might not like pro play, but the recent audience numbers suggest there is a huge and growing audience of people who do love it. And in most other games (e.g. League, Valorant or whatever) ranked really should be a route or taste of what you see your favourite players doing. And for younger players maybe an eventual route into a pro team if you get noticed. 

Ranked was simply not a route to top level Apex play. Without any form of demotion, people with basic gun skill and nothing else, or people with a shit ton of time on their hands would eventually get into Diamond or Plat and end up hardstuck there. With no threat of demotion, higher tier lobbies were just full of people int'ing one another and taking 50/50s off drop for the lols. End zones frequently had 2 or 3 teams left (indeed this was often the case by zone 3). Yes, you could just go on for half an hour and send it at every team you saw and end up feeling you'd made some progress, but that isn't the case now. The demotion and RP buy in is a huge amount of jeopardy. 

And the changes have absolutely made a huge difference. No more 50/50 challs off drop, and people playing in a measured and careful way. A shift in character choice to far more meta picks (like, Gibby was hardly played in ranked before by non-pro players and he's everywhere now). End zones are thrilling, frequently with 7 or 8 teams vying for position. Team comms is vital. Duos and solos are being fucked, for sure, and I think they need perhaps a reduction in the RP buy in. But for three stacks this is the best change in Apex, possibly ever. And if people hate it there's uber casual modes (Control will be back soon), Arenas or Pubs, where you can merrily send it at everyone you see.

People previously who assumed they were Diamond or Plat won't be any more. I think we (as in the guys I play with) might actually benefit from the changes as while we're not a top tier gunskill team we're certainly good at placement and positioning. But, while I've reached higher ranks before I don't know if getting out of Gold this time will be possible - that could be my genuine level. And that's great. That's absolutely what ranked should be. 

I think we're going to disagree on this. :) (and that's fine lol)

6 hours ago, cavalcade said:

It's hard on Solos and Duos but it's the best change they've ever made to Apex. 

I ALWAYS play Solo. Such is my life now that I can't commit to getting two other people together at a specific time, and haven't since the 360 era. Yes, like you say, I can play Pubs, but the problem with that mode is without the penalty system ranked has, it just leads to people quitting when they get downed and don't don't even wait for a potential revive or respawn.

5 hours ago, cavalcade said:

And the changes have absolutely made a huge difference. No more 50/50 challs off drop, and people playing in a measured and careful way

What brought me to Apex in the first place was the frantic action. It was fast, fights breaking out everywhere, it was exciting. I don't want to PubG myself in a toilet for ten minutes. I know this is the antithesis of what a Battle Royale should be, but meh, maybe that's why no others grabbed me the way Apex did.

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

I think we're going to disagree on this. :) (and that's fine lol)

I ALWAYS play Solo. Such is my life now that I can't commit to getting two other people together at a specific time, and haven't since the 360 era. Yes, like you say, I can play Pubs, but the problem with that mode is without the penalty system ranked has, it just leads to people quitting when they get downed and don't don't even wait for a potential revive or respawn.

What brought me to Apex in the first place was the frantic action. It was fast, fights breaking out everywhere, it was exciting. I don't want to PubG myself in a toilet for ten minutes. I know this is the antithesis of what a Battle Royale should be, but meh, maybe that's why no others grabbed me the way Apex did.

Which is fine - and I agree that like Valorant Unrated, perhaps a persistent quitter penalty might help in pubs. But the fact is with Arenas and the Limited Time modes there are enough ways on Apex now to get your fill of full sending it at an opposition team. I also think there are better pure shooters than Apex if just smashing face is what you want. Titanfall 2, though it is getting quieter, remains absolutely top tier for the Apex feel but with a constant, rapid respawn (in fact nothing comes close - where is my Titanfall 3 Respawn [sadface]). The solos issue is a difficult one, and I imagine Respawn might eventually relent and compensate for queuing solo, but it is fundamentally a team game. Even if you can't be arsed speaking on mic it is probably worth finding a club/Discord server with people looking for sane non-twats to play with as the game is so much better that way. Although I do think the ranked changes are starting to percolate into pubs - I still have a good positive KD and I've had a surprising amount of games where the other players haven't been total knobs. 

Trying to get back into this and it's quite the learning curve – I haven't played since launch so have no idea what guns are good, what the buttons do or the map layouts. It's still fun though.

This has got its hooks in me. Just bought 1000 coins from the Xbox store because of the 2,500 MS point rebate (around £2.40). I have no Legends unlocked, but really loving Wraith. Let’s see how I do as the seasons are fairly short. 

15 hours ago, shirubagan said:

This has got its hooks in me. Just bought 1000 coins from the Xbox store because of the 2,500 MS point rebate (around £2.40). I have no Legends unlocked, but really loving Wraith. Let’s see how I do as the seasons are fairly short. 

We're frequently missing a third person at the moment, if you wanna play with other people on comms, add me as a friend on Xbox (ReynoldsM) and we'll get you in. 

1 hour ago, Varsity said:

We're frequently missing a third person at the moment, if you wanna play with other people on comms, add me as a friend on Xbox (ReynoldsM) and we'll get you in. 

I think I saw you in the lobby yesterday. Will jump in if I see you again, GT kerumba

I've been playing this frequently since Season 9. Still love it. Wish they'd fix the frigging bugs (the movement bug is AGHHHHHHHHH), but I still love it to bits. I don't rage at it whatsoever, no matter how much I lose, unlike frigging Overwatch.

I've reached player level 25 and BP level 19. Really enjoying Arena mode and have had a win in BR which was absolutely brilliant. Literally shouted YES! and jumped off the sofa. With the random challenges rewarding so few stars I can't see how I'm going to get all of the rewards. As a newcomer, I have a few Battle Pass progression-related questions if someone could help :) 

Is it mostly a case of squadding up with mates and finishing top 5 to get the stacked XP boost?
2. Do they start throwing extra tasks and stars at you later in the Season like Fortnite?
3. Is it better to play Arena to level up quickly?

I wish this was cross-progression. Would be great to grind out tasks on the Switch – which is a surprisingly good, if at times a bit framey conversion – while watching telly.

I stopped paying attention to XP ages ago and I maxed out at lvl 500 recently, so can't say much about XP gains. Basically keep performing decently and your XP chugs along nicely.

As for the battle pass, when I go for them I usually finish them or get close to it, and I haven't noticed a change in how many rewards it dishes out over time in terms of stars. Do your dailies, reroll any in modes you don't like. Work towards the weekly challenges as they dish out meaty star amounts. You also get stars for gaining XP so just by playing you will make minor income that way. In terms of timescale I have managed to grind out an entire battle pass in under 2 weeks (mainly playing in the evenings) so its not too strenuous - but I am fairly decent at the game so I find it easier to earn faster XP and complete kill/placement challenges faster than a new player probably will. 

I really don't know about how the XP rewards are in Arena but it would seem logical that you should get XP more consistently from it - because in Battle Royale your kills might be limited (although you do get a lot of bonus XP for placement and time spent alive). Probably worth Googling. Arena is also a great way to get familiar with different weapons and learning fundamentals like cover and hipfire so its never a bad thing. I usually only play Arena though when I'm going for battle pass challenges, but some of them are quite meaty so you can end up in Arena for an hour or two even for dailies.

image.thumb.png.79d6227ac169f7bfa11b326fd8cebba2.png

Yeeeessss! Brilliant game yesterday where my squad mates were taken out behind me in the storm. I decided to risk it, phase shifted in there, retrieved their cards and hopped on a gravity cannon, just making it out of the storm before I died. Used my last syringe then had a 750m gauntlet to the only respawn point not in the storm. Revived them – thankfully next to some unopened supply bins – and scoped out the local area while they kitted back up. Drew some fire from the enemy, which gave them away, phase shifted to flank them, taking out the last two players for the winning kill and the win. It was fucking awesome.

Really good communication via the ping system, team stayed close and shared items, ammo and phoenix kits throughout.

On 23/05/2022 at 17:42, Meh said:

I've been playing this frequently since Season 9. Still love it. Wish they'd fix the frigging bugs (the movement bug is AGHHHHHHHHH), but I still love it to bits. I don't rage at it whatsoever, no matter how much I lose, unlike frigging Overwatch.

I think the three man squad is a good part of that. You're a pretty big part of your team's overall performance, so you're shouldering more of the weight. It's therefore less disastrous when your tank rushes into the middle of the enemy by himself, metaphorically speaking.

I actually want to replay some Overwatch, but I stopped because I became so disillusioned with teams constantly sucking and the fact you needed them to progress in rank. You'd think by Gold and upwards people would understand their role, y'know? And sometimes it's genuinely just individually decent players with an absolute lack of cohesion.

I haven't played Apex in a while. The people I play with scattered around different platforms, so I thought I'd wait until cross-progression became a thing after hitting it so hard that I burned out.

• 4 weeks later...

I may have secured some custom game codes for Sunday 7 August.

I'll know for sure nearer the time, but if I have I'll host some tournament style games, with the more the merrier playing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent. The more the merrier.

I asked EA for some codes for a community tournament and they gave them to me - didn’t have to jump through any hoops. 

Need some players now though…