Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

T Pot

Three fun games in a row tonight, nice! My squadmates were doing damage into the low hundreds and not being completely suicidal. They didn't get any kills and made plenty of obvious misplays showing, but I'm sure I'm making millions myself that I'm not aware of. I got 4 kills in two games and 3 in the third, which is way above my average for solo queue thanks to the reliance on ratting that having suicidal teammates necessitates. I even had two non-fragment drops in a row tonight, which is unheard of. I gained three quarters of a rank in those three games which is great going after a week off and feeling quite rusty.

We almost won one, with the final 3 squads equidistant to each other in the final circle, we were actually IN the circle though thanks to a survey beacon. We'd seen them and they hadn't seen us. They were going to clash coming into the circle so we could simply sit and wait for an easy win. "Let them fight, and third party them" I type. Seconds later, our Loba fires a charge rifle shot over the head of one of them and six grenades and a hail of gunfire immediately comes flying our way. Because the other two squads hadn't seen each other yet but they'd both seen us, they both took the obvious action to focus fire us first and then fight between themselves. A Wattson ult (yes, I picked Wattson for the daily challenge) gave us a few seconds of respite but it didn't last. Still, it's a huge improvement over the prior few sessions where you could count my squadmate's damage (or seconds survived) on one hand.

Onwards... more dispatches from the Outlands soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, just a normal random Apex pack or one that you bought?

I haven't got one yet but my main problem is I don't really main a character so will be racked with indecision on who to get the heirloom for! How about you, who you gonna go for?

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Congrats, just a normal random Apex pack or one that you bought?

I haven't got one yet but my main problem is I don't really main a character so will be racked with indecision on who to get the heirloom for! How about you, who you gonna go for?

It was from the random one I got from my daily treasure pack. I’ve bought a few here and there but I’ve definitely not opened 500 yet so the luck was on my side. Playing with friends though I’ve definitely got better RNG luck than a lot of people.

I’ve also not got a main, I play Loba most but she’s not got one and isn’t a great pick at higher levels. I think I’ll probably get Bang’s knife or Bloodhound’s axe, though the choice is paralysing me at the moment :lol:

1 minute ago, Broker said:

It was from the random one I got from my daily treasure pack. I’ve bought a few here and there but I’ve definitely not opened 500 yet so the luck was on my side. Playing with friends though I’ve definitely got better RNG luck than a lot of people.

I’ve also not got a main, I play Loba most but she’s not got one and isn’t a great pick at higher levels. I think I’ll probably get Bang’s knife or Bloodhound’s axe, though the choice is paralysing me at the moment :lol:

Not to make your choice for you, but Bang's knife's a good un and one I have my eye on. She's always solid.

Caustic's Sledge is another neat one, but Caustic's not always a great pick.

Because loads of the most popular Apex streamers drop there, they like playing in the central buildings (and are very good at it). And its like Skull Town back in the day, you know if you drop there you will get right into the action and have lots of fights. Which of course means 99% of the time its a total clusterfuck with half the lobby dropping there. I don't mind dropping there if your dropmaster takes you to an empty part of it, but what pisses me off is when people drop on a building where you can see 2 or 3 other teams are also going for the same building. Its just a waste of everyones time, 80% of attempts will end in fast death for the whole team, usually you survive for way less time than it took you to queue/character select. It also fucks the balance for the rest of the lobby because you are sometimes down to 10 teams in the first few minutes.

Respawn needs to do something like nerf the loot in Fragment to make it less popular. Problem is that even if you did that, people will still just choose the next location where streamers like to drop. Also Fragment has probably the best level design in the map so it would be a shame to lose it, my other solution would be to just destroy it like they did with Skull Town. At least its not as bad as Skull Town... maybe.

4 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Because loads of the most popular Apex streamers drop there, they like playing in the central buildings (and are very good at it). And its like Skull Town back in the day, you know if you drop there you will get right into the action and have lots of fights. Which of course means 99% of the time its a total clusterfuck with half the lobby dropping there. I don't mind dropping there if your dropmaster takes you to an empty part of it, but what pisses me off is when people drop on a building where you can see 2 or 3 other teams are also going for the same building. Its just a waste of everyones time, 80% of attempts will end in fast death for the whole team, usually you survive for way less time than it took you to queue/character select. It also fucks the balance for the rest of the lobby because you are sometimes down to 10 teams in the first few minutes.

Respawn needs to do something like nerf the loot in Fragment to make it less popular. Problem is that even if you did that, people will still just choose the next location where streamers like to drop. Also Fragment has probably the best level design in the map so it would be a shame to lose it, my other solution would be to just destroy it like they did with Skull Town. At least its not as bad as Skull Town... maybe.

Lmao it’s worse than skull town 

I think the thing that’s strange about fragment is that it’s a problem King’s Canyon doesn’t really have. In most BR games a POI in the centre of the map will become super popular, and end up being a default place to land. But on KC I couldn’t even tell you what’s in the middle, and there’s no obvious most popular place since they removed Skull Town. I feel like it’s crazy that it’s still the best balanced map. 

Yeah Kings Canyon has well-spread out POIs. In the centre Containment is popular as well as Cage, but the big POIs with the most loot are all on the outskirts of the map, like the crash site, Caustics home, the phase gate thingy and so on. And in the middle (aside from the POIs I mentioned) its a lot of little buildings and not a great deal of loot. Fragment is similar in scale to the city on the outskirts of World's Edge, its huge and there's good loot in every building. And each building has multiple floors so its an even bigger play-space that can house loads of teams. I guess places like Estate in Olympus show that smaller POIs can still attract a horrible number of teams, but I feel like they could destroy like two thirds of Fragment with no worries. 

To be fair to Fragment, it's a central POI and quite noticeable on the map. Yes, TSM/ImperialHAL drop there, but a lot of the new influx of streamers from COD Warzone don't and some of the bigger other teams don't either. I think it just naturally tends to be an easy POI for people to reach from drop and has a lot of rotation options (as well as housing decent loot). 

It's hard to know where ReSpawn take Apex going forwards though. I think the game has changed a huge amount in terms of general aggression from earlier seasons. Frequently you look up from the first couple of rotations and there are 4 teams left. People go crazy for thirsting kills, 3rd partying is constant, people always push even marginal situations. If you miss the slaughter, quite often the game is just a burst of hardcore fighting and then a handful of teams wandering around an empty map until the final zone, where whichever team manages to third most effectively wins. I think the repeat dropping in Frag is part of this sort of this new hyper aggressive ethos that permeates the game, and I do think it comes from people trying to ape high tier streamers. I mean one on one skill will get you kills in Apex, but hot dropping is still high risk (one of the reason pro teams rarely contest drop sites after cementing them in scrims). And as others have said, fuck up and you're back to re-queuing and going again over and over. 

I'll be interesting to see what they do on the new map. I'd like to see design and maybe a new Legend to try to slow and control the game a bit, but that ship may have long sailed. 

I got 5 wins in one play session yesterday and a massively positive KD on a single Legend just by playing Rampart in earnest for the first time. I'd dabbled a little on console, but I don't think I'd ever really played her on PC. I'd been having a fairly tough time of it on the game recently, but Rampart does seem to suit my playstyle and the lobbies I end up in (which aren't great, I'm sure).

Picking up the minigun is a big change, and as a not very aggressive mouse keys player it works well to stay back (behind cover) pinging from distance while my team mates charge in and then follow up to mop up with the gun. I've had multiple squad wipes simply by rocking up even as my other 2 team mates have died or the fight is in the latter stages and just gunning down people attempting to loot or revive. I appreciate in higher quality lobbies none of these strats will work, but I was having an existential crisis about the game (to the extent I'd downloaded AimLabs to try to work out if I was actually shit or not - it says I'm not).

It's nice to just enjoy a few games where it feels like I'm beaming other people and fucking them up, even if I'm in the sandpit stomping on toddler's sandcastles. 

Sheila is so amazingly satisfying, just watching those numbers tick up and then people literally explode. I don't play Rampart but sometimes have to for challenges and the Sheila change was much needed. Before I would almost never get to use Sheila, because even if you got it set up on a good angle, teams could very easily flank it.

One thing I find baffling about apex is the events. Evolution had two gold skins as rewards, but sometimes they’re just regular apex packs and battle pass stars. The difference in engagement for me is huge, even if I don’t want the gold skins, I still feel like it’s worth doing the challenges when they’re on offer. Why have two in one event and none in another, rather than putting those resources into having one as a final reward for each flash event?

I also think it’s stupid that there’s no point in challenges or stars once you’ve finished your battle pass. Even if it converted stars into a tiny amount of crafting materials when you’d finished or something it would at least make them have some point. They could even have an arbitrary number that kept going up after level 110. But instead there’s just nothing. 

I don’t understand people. Just had a game where me and a lifeline were in the last few circles, against 2 or 3 other teams. Lifeline gets into a fight, I catch up, knock one of them but there’s footsteps everywhere and they know where we are because we’re literally on their knocked team mate. I try to take cover, not sure how to play it and the guy shouts “res me”. Like, in direct view of them exactly where they’re heading to? Why? I died anyway but damn it was such a weird call.

I try to res people in dumb situations myself, but I don't expect a res if a full party's charging you with others nearby. I mean, if they're right on you not even Lifeline's drone would get them up in time, let alone doing the crouching needle thing.

• 3 weeks later...

New season info is leaking out:

Spoiler

Season 11: Escape

New tropical map: Stormpoint

59BD2B31-240F-4F61-AA16-A704574ACC18.jpeg.447edc9da29fc71e8e4f69234e541445.jpeg

5E9DA80D-4662-4E69-8ADD-E7BCA2703D9A.thumb.jpeg.b480e0041050c4b2aa5c47319d7b3eca.jpeg

DC6770F7-52A8-4552-BCB0-189BB2B24C23.thumb.jpeg.eedf9ff07d3fc74fff80b8685c9c95a5.jpeg

New legend: Ash from Titanfall 2

2AA4FBE7-2F57-4943-B26E-F8508C10C591.thumb.jpeg.dde377b877bf468be5f742ec4564057a.jpeg

1EA0B2C4-8ACD-44DD-B13A-97E2E9AF244A.thumb.jpeg.ac0b294f94225ebac5e5ba49c6ac40e7.jpeg

New Gun: CAR SMG (also from Titanfall I think). Takes both light and heavy ammo. 

0AB8FC6E-4FFF-4608-8AF0-FB78B5058F8C.thumb.jpeg.0f90f176b260b6568e74cf352f03676c.jpeg

B3B86325-DEA1-4BCC-ADB5-C790A3D762B0.jpeg.21c7abfbbd2dde9f009e2038ce74813a.jpeg

G7 Scout moving to care package

966CBAB5-0E30-4E58-843F-7A958483CF13.thumb.jpeg.abcd40710e502afbb41adf250fc704c5.jpeg

Ash Legendary Skins:

67C05816-60BC-4DC4-91AD-F894DA837F11.jpeg.1499e2d42de0a8063720cb945f604902.jpeg

188BC864-1A15-4F6B-A79D-8EC8F33126F0.thumb.jpeg.1f2cd284c6722c9898534cc9b1c8db33.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Escape update is available for Xbox. 71.89GB actual fucking LOL. 9 hours ETA. Take the fucking thing offline a day early and give us all a chance you fucks.

No doubt it’ll be an utter shitfest tonight anyway like every other season update.

Played the Escape update last night, it's a breath of fresh air, and I mostly love it:

- Brand new Battle Royale map set on a tropical island

- New CAR heavy ammo SMG

- New battle pass

- New Legend: Ash, an assault android with a katana.

- Ash's abilities: electric trap (slows and damages an enemy), death box vision (use on a death box to pinpoint their killers on the map), rift teleport ultimate (instant teleport to a spot in range, teammates can take it too).

- The Triple Take is back baby, but as a marksman weapon (i.e. no sniper scope allowed)

The new map, Storm Front, is awesome. It looks amazing, a proper tropical island, its really colourful and filled with a combination of new and rusting buildings, foliage everywhere. Beaches, forests, water, complexes. No balloons, instead there are gravity cannons all over which fire you to predetermined spots. Its got a lot of wide open space which means a lot of potential for long range combat (although some areas do suffer from not enough cover). Another really cool feature is AI mobs, prowlers like from previous events and spiders. Some areas are nests where you will fight repeated numbers of these AI wildlife, but in return they drop loot including ammo for your equipped weapons, upgrades that you need and so on. There's one area thats a huge prowler nest where there can be like 10 prowlers running around attacking teams, and respawning all the time. They pack a punch and its so cool to have multiple teams fighting each other and the prowlers as well. There's also long grass in that area that helps to conceal you when you are in it. After an evenings play I had a blast.

Visually its a real treat, even more radical in look than Olympus was, and its so nice to have colour in the environment and all that lovely foliage. No idea how they pulled it off technically. The gravity cannons are useful and fun for getting around, although it can suck to suddenly get landed on by a whole team, though to be fair there is a loud bang when they go off so I suppose you'll learn to pay attention. My main critisms are a lot of running around these big wide areas, and a lack of cover in some areas which can really suck for later circles. Other than that I think its great with fresh gameplay ideas from the wildlife, to some really long zip lines on huge slopes you can slide down and gravity cannons. The buildings have interesting layouts and some of the bigger complexes feel really unique in their gameplay design. I've still not seen all of the map.

Ash is fun, I haven't really used the deathbox thing, but the trap is very powerful in that it slows you to a crawl like an arc star, and can also be used to slow down chasers. The ultimate though is awesome, the range on it is decent and it allows you to instantly get to flanking positions, get height or out of bad spots, and your team can join too. I keep using it to flank enemy teams or to escape horrible situations. Unlike Wraiths portal it closes very quickly so people can't easily follow you unless they are close, but on the flip side there's no going back, so better make your choice wisely. Ash is also really cool as a character, her intro animation is sick and I like the dual personality quirk which sometimes even pops up in her ingame voice lines.

The CAR seems ok, I haven't used it much, it seems to shred but has a weird bullet spread. The triple take is as fun as ever, although finding a decent scope for it now is hard that its a marksman weapon now. Battle pass I just picked up with my leftover coins from the last battle pass, I haven't looked through it yet but its already worth it for the tropical paradise loading screen!

Having a lot of fun in this so far!

Yeah I’m loving the new map. It feels really fresh and exciting, but also familiar in a way? I love the little reused elements that kind of make it feel like it belongs in the world (the raising doors on the fences are the same ones from artillery and market on KC). I’m still learning the layout but I’m having a lot more fun doing that than I usually do in BR games, though that’s partly because it’s new for everyone.

Ash is insane. The ultimate is incredible (will definitely get nerfed), the tactical is solid. Not sure how to make use of the passive yet but I’m trying it out. She’s just so damn cool as well. 

The CAR seems fine, nothing to write home about. Having the triple back is amazing. The battle pass is ok (as well as gold skins for Gibby and Mirage there’s nice tracker sets for them, plus a nice bocek skin).

Best of all though, no server issues. I didn’t get on until about ten after the update at six but everything was smooth. 

Yeah, same here about the servers, I played at about 10pm as well and had absolutely no problems. A far cry from previous patches, even the last big one was riddled with server isses.

Played a bit more last night and the cover issue isn't as bad as I thought. Some of the areas that seemed very open do have some little nooks and crannies to hunker down in. I think I just got unlucky with some of the ending circles the previous night, like one was in the shallow water encampment where the fish farms are where if you aren't in a building you're basically screwed. Having said that, so many characters have movement abilities that there's usually some way to get where you need to go. 

Used more of the CAR as well, it definitely hits hard but the recoil is a bitch. What's really interesting is that I think it takes light magazines as well as heavy (even though it only uses heavy ammo), making it useful in the early game.

The prowler AI definitely makes for great moments. They can turn a fight around, and if you run off to heal in the middle of a team fight the prowlers will still find you. I've seen quite a few solo surviving enemy team members get taken out. They can even break down doors and jump on top of buildings, its brilliant. In one of my first games, I unknowingly went into the big prowler zone to rez my teammate at the beacon, and was rudely interrupted by 3 attacking me mid-rez. I managed to get the rez off in time, then got taken out by the prowlers as I tried to run away. My teammate almost made it to a building but the prowlers caught up to him too, and that was it, killed by AI in a battle royale - they aren't to be trifled with!

One complaint I have is these POIs that are huge but have very few and scattered loot in them, with big open spaces. There are these locations that have long 'fingers' platforms with loot pods at the end, but if you don't get anything good you're kind of screwed. Some games start with just running around in the open for ages getting shot at because someone beat you to the punch. On one hand its way better than Fragment so it stops teams all wanting to land at the big spots. On the other hand if you end up landing at those spots anyway due to overzealous teammates, you have even less of a fighting chance if multiple teams go there.

The gravity cannons I am having a hard time figuring out. Sometimes people are managing to drop out of the fall early, and others seem to be able to direct it and land quite far left or right of the usual landing location. I've tried going off different parts of the ramp to affect the trajectory but it doesn't seem to do much. I've also dropped out of the fall a few times for no apparent reason, maybe its just bugged, but if anyone knows any different let me know.

One cool little detail I saw on Youtube is the fences around the prowler zones are actually electrified, if you try and climb over you take shield damage.

A lot of people are playing Wattson again now she's been buffed. But typically I haven't seen anyone really using the fences or the ultimate (which I think were her main buffs), so whats the point?

There's still too much wandering for my liking on this map, I feel like they need to add a few more vehicles in. The gravity cannons may be as frequent as balloons, but because they only go in set directions, once the circle gets smaller many of them become redundant. Maybe they need to add a few more in, or some more zip lines. One problem I keep having with teammates is Valkyrie's never using their Ultimate. If any map needs her ult, its this one!

Just now, bignige said:

It takes heavy and light ammo

It does? So it starts out as heavy ammo only, and then whatever extended magazine you put in it determines the ammo type after that? I definitely had it run out of heavy ammo when I had no extended mag, and it wasn't using my light ammo as an alternative.