Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

T Pot

On 07/06/2021 at 21:03, Moz said:

First game tonight, ranked, missing a team member, jumpmaster hotdrops anyway, instantly dies, pings 500 times, -24 RP.

That’s interesting, when I get a ranked game without a third team mate I don’t lose RP. It just shows zero at the end unless I gain points. 

On 07/06/2021 at 21:58, Tomdominer said:

I'm on PS4/PS5. Have joined the rllmuk group but no-one seems that interested in ranked. Please add me. Gold tier is a shit show. My username is my gamertag.

I’ll invite you if I see you online :) 

On 08/06/2021 at 14:37, Floshenbarnical said:

i vastly prefer ranked, can’t stand PUBs

if my team are a bunch of cretinous turds I just rat to the final circle and get placement. Hide until the last two squads are having at it and then run in and take your (slim) chances

It seems pointless once you’re in gold though. You need to get fifth or sixth with no kills to get anything at all, and in that scenario you’re getting 6 points towards the 500 or so you need to move up to the next band. 3rd or fourth will get you 16, at which point your choice is either getting involved in the final three way fight or accepting that you’ll lose in second and take 36 points. You need 2000 points to go from Gold IV to Plat IV, which is 334 games ratting into fifth or sixth, 125 games ratting into third or fourth, or 56 games ratting into second. 

With 6 kills or assists a win gets you 226 points, second will get you 186, third or fourth will get you 166, fifth or sixth 156 etc. That’s only 13 games in fifth or sixth to get to plat. Given that ratting generally takes fifteen minutes, is boring as shit and you might need to do it for 80 hours to rank up, I just don’t think it’s worth it once you get to Gold. You’re better off trying to at least get a kill, preferably two or three and if not take the loss and hope for a better team next time. You only need one decent team in each 8-10 matches to offset losses, if you get more you’re gaining RP.

3 hours ago, Broker said:

That’s interesting, when I get a ranked game without a third team mate I don’t lose RP. It just shows zero at the end unless I gain points. 

I’ll invite you if I see you online :) 

It seems pointless once you’re in gold though. You need to get fifth or sixth with no kills to get anything at all, and in that scenario you’re getting 6 points towards the 500 or so you need to move up to the next band. 3rd or fourth will get you 16, at which point your choice is either getting involved in the final three way fight or accepting that you’ll lose in second and take 36 points. You need 2000 points to go from Gold IV to Plat IV, which is 334 games ratting into fifth or sixth, 125 games ratting into third or fourth, or 56 games ratting into second. 

With 6 kills or assists a win gets you 226 points, second will get you 186, third or fourth will get you 166, fifth or sixth 156 etc. That’s only 13 games in fifth or sixth to get to plat. Given that ratting generally takes fifteen minutes, is boring as shit and you might need to do it for 80 hours to rank up, I just don’t think it’s worth it once you get to Gold. You’re better off trying to at least get a kill, preferably two or three and if not take the loss and hope for a better team next time. You only need one decent team in each 8-10 matches to offset losses, if you get more you’re gaining RP.

well it's gotten me halfway through Gold II so it can't work that badly

16 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

well it's gotten me halfway through Gold II so it can't work that badly

Damn! Are you getting some kills before you go ratting? I guess maybe it’s just really committing to not taking any stupid fights? Teach me sempai 

4 hours ago, Broker said:

Sometimes, most of the time to be fair, you get a match forgiveness boon where having a missing player negates any lost points. Not always though. I've noticed there are two "versions" of the legend select screen, one where there's no shading where the third player name would be and one where there is. If it's the latter it operates like a third player was present and you don't get the forgiveness buff at the end of the match. It's supposed to kick in if your team abandons before the timeout as well, but that seems even patchier. And finally it's supposed to kick in if YOU get disconnected and can't load back in, but that never really happens to me so I can't comment. They're apparently fixing the underlying issue soon according to a dev post on Reddit. The subreddit usually has one or two people moaning about this on the front page. You can get an abandon too if you spawn solo and quit when it thinks you had a full squad. That happened to me on the weekend, grr.

The easymode trick is to find a willing carry and ride them into the higher ranks. Even better if they'll smurf for you. I know a guy who averages about 100dmg who has been boosted to platinum by a guy with 50k kills on Lifeline. He's going up about 50 levels a week, it's crazy.

We (as in anyone who's up for it from this thread) really ought to get together and play a few matches, see how we do. At least we can be demoralised together right!

First game today we see nobody all game. Nobody. Deathboxes everywhere. Make it to the final circle and suddenly all fall down dead with no clue what happened. Assume someone was using the charge rifle hack you've seen all over reddit. Get a bit of RP. Weird.

Next game, teammate called WHY SO SERIOUS hotdrops us, dies instantly. The other guy manages 100 damage worth of jumpkicks before dying which is quite impressive for a teammate in gold. Trapped in a building with at least two other squads I do 500dmg before I'm mown down, -24RP. 

Still, I'm up about 10 RP so far today. 

Game 3 - Octane got us killed

Game 4 - Octane got us killed 

Game 5 - Octane got us killed

Game 6 - Octane got us killed

I haven't seen a squadmate do over 100 damage in six games, I haven't done under 500. Which I know is nothing, I average about 1.5-2k in a premade. I had two Octanes in a row who did 0 dmg, and they weren't even hotdrop games because I was jumpmaster. Both times they ran in to "third party" a fight which had just started, by themselves.

Game 7 - Octane hotdrop. Dead in 4 seconds. ALL LOW. VERY IDIOT. YOU FUCK. Disconnects.

Game 8 - Octane hoovers up all the loot, runs towards an enemy squad, does 24dmg, dies and then disconnects. We're both saying "come back. come back. come back. stop. come back". The other guy, a Bangalore with a Brummie accent, shouts FUCKING OCTANES FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD and disconnects. :lol: At least it's not just me.

I'm reporting every single one of them for colluding with enemies now. I simply don't understand how every single squad has an Octane in when they're always on cooldown for quitting.

Anyway, I'm giving up. If a game can't provide a fun matchmaking experience even 10% of the time it's not worth playing, however good the systems are. I wouldn't play boardgames with chimps and I won't play this with trolls and children.

I have also noticed the Octane issue!

Everytime I play (Im on ranked now at the heady heights of Bronze II) there is an Octane and you know you are fucked.

Ive had them run past me and take the loot from the crate I am opening ffs. The next thing you know they are a km awat and in a fight and... dead.

EVERY TIME! 

I ended up switching to Arena and had an epic 8 round match where we won alternating rounds , kept getting match point and losing it , only to lose in sudden death. Was a marathon but really good fun.

Every. time.

Some big Slovenian streamer ragequit mid-stream yesterday because he kept getting squadmates who did 0dmg and died instantly or just ran off. IN DIAMOND! :lol: Good to know it doesn't get any better.

I did wonder if I should pick Octane every time I'm first pick just to stop someone else getting it. It's so far beyond a joke at this point, he has something like an 80% pick rate.

Does he look like a Fortnite character or something like that? It's always kids playing him. I've had kids crying over mic because someone else picked him. It's wild.

I’m assuming it’s the mobility. If you’re good at the game, increased mobility is essentially a buff to everything, looting speed, repositioning, engaging and disengaging from combat. I pick him quite a lot in ranked purely because he’s useful for running away and ratting once my terrible team mates die because they’re shite. He can reposition your entire team if you’re pinned behind cover and his passive health regen is the most obviously beneficial passive. In general it seems having someone who can disengage and run in ranked is a huge benefit, so I generally pick him, Wraith, Pathfinder or Valk.

I’m guessing that all that means that a lot of streamers and pro teams will pick him, which drives people who don’t know what they’re doing to assume he’s the best. Watching a good Octane is crazy, he’s so hyper mobile that decent players can easily 1v3 squads with him, firing constantly from unexpected angles. 

Maybe I’ll become an Octane main. I wish there were a hero directly analogous to a Titanfall 2 pilot, I don’t have the best or quickest aim but I excel in movement and outmanoeuvring my opponents. Gimme that wall run!

This game is so weird man. Some days you eat plate after plate of steaming turds, and some days you play in your friend’s platinum lobby and win the game with 6 kills after 1v3ing the entire final team with one Spitfire mag

that was just now. First game of the night, decided it would also be the last game of the night :lol:

9 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

This game is so weird man. Some days you eat plate after plate of steaming turds, and some days you play in your friend’s platinum lobby and win the game with 6 kills after 1v3ing the entire final team with one Spitfire mag

that was just now. First game of the night, decided it would also be the last game of the night :lol:

Engagement based matchmaking having the opposite effect. It does that to me too, I always quit while I’m ahead!

9 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Well, I just tried to accept @Lyrical Donut 's submission and it gave me an error before refusing the request. Scrolling through the clan member list, looks like it wasn't accepted - so please apply again! Hopefully it'll work as intended next time.

That actually seemed to work, despite your errors. Just logged in and I'm in the club.

I logged back in later and tried again, you went through okay.

Originally your application disappeared right after attempting to accept, I'm guessing it refreshed once I signed out and returned.

I got a friend request from someone, hopefully someone from here?

First game tonight, a level 330 guy in my squad says "no suicide hotdrops please". Wow, I think to myself. We could go far. I'm already dreaming big. The third level 20 player hotdrops anyway and dies with 0 dmg while we break off. Second guy goes down a couple of seconds later.

Second game just started, level 14 Octane, he's the jumpmaster. We're hotdropping fragment right now. 

I'm done, this is actually unplayable. And it's not just me. Every single community, thread, subreddit, you name it, is nothing but people screaming about the same problem. And they're not doing a damn thing about it because they don't care about those people, they care about the 9 year olds with Mummy's credit card ruining the game for everyone else. Whatever broken brain mentality kids have which makes dying over and over again with zero interplay with their teammates seem fun is lost on me. A middle aged man who grew up playing Quake, CS etc.  Is attempting to replicate plays by streamers and dying 200 times a day more fun than actually playing the game as designed and trying to get better?

It's the chronic lack of imagination which kills me. Back in the day we used to play things like Dota 1 and Quake King of the server which encouraged crazy broken builds and tactics. The games weren't really balanced and you stumbled across all manner of nonsense, but it was fun and varied. The meta was learned through gameplay by trying to counter other players. You never knew what you were going to get and every game was a surprise. Now, and it's not just Apex by any means, these kids seem to have no imagination whatsoever and can only emulate whatever the top streamers on Twitch/YT are doing, badly. It's so rare I see players running interesting builds or combinations. I still remember the first and only time I tried Fornite, half the players weren't even trying to play the game, they were building some tower thing they'd seen on Youtube the night before. 

9 hours ago, Moz said:

It's the chronic lack of imagination which kills me. Back in the day we used to play things like Dota 1 and Quake King of the server which encouraged crazy broken builds and tactics. The games weren't really balanced and you stumbled across all manner of nonsense, but it was fun and varied. The meta was learned through gameplay by trying to counter other players. You never knew what you were going to get and every game was a surprise. Now, and it's not just Apex by any means, these kids seem to have no imagination whatsoever and can only emulate whatever the top streamers on Twitch/YT are doing, badly. It's so rare I see players running interesting builds or combinations. I still remember the first and only time I tried Fornite, half the players weren't even trying to play the game, they were building some tower thing they'd seen on Youtube the night before. 

Well, not always...

It really is pretty brutal playing with Randoms, it seems that even if you have a half decent bunch they will still invariably run in and get us sandwiched between two squads. 

As everyone does the same thing, hears gunfire and runs straight at it. If you are the first squads engaging each other you are basically screwed it seems to me. 

Revenant's getting good treatment for this event, his skin and Heirloom are pretty damn good.

I like the idea behind Bangalore's, but it's a bit too basic. Crypto's ain't bad either.

My goodness did the patch bring all the idiots out again. Last night was incredibly bad. Bear in mind I am only in Silver rank, but endless hot drops into certain death, one guy flew us in behind and enemy squad but landed us 20 ft behind them so they were between us and the guns 😕  Endless Octane team mates running off "hey are you guys coming" "Im taking fire" Dead. "Please revive me". Maybe 4 games in a row that happened. 

I mean it's bad normally, but this was unusually painful. 

I'm not entirely sure why I am still playing it tbh. I am shit anyway so I feel bad for any squad that gets me, but at least I try and stick with my team.

I’m surprised ranked is that bad, unranked is a mess or people dropping hot at skull town and fighting over shit guns but I assumed that was what would happen. I figured people who stuck with ranked might be less crazy.

It’s looking pretty likely that the next legend is Pariah/Seer based on datamined info. 

Pariah’s abilities are:

Spoiler

Passive allows him to see enemy health bars, and also makes him immune to stunning effects.

Tactical is a sonar grenade which marks enemies. Last longer than Bloodhound’s marking but requires aiming.

Ultimate releases a cloud of steam that burns enemy health ignoring shields, but he cannot move while using it.

The moth stencils sprayed around the environment are teases of this character. 

Pariah lore:

Spoiler

Black male legend, can apparently see people’s death. Stays remote and competes via a cloud of robot moths that take the form of a person. Somehow related to Bangalore. 

The files seem to have moved back and forth between referring to the character as Pariah or Seer, though it seems like the newer ones refer to him as Seer. Still a possibility that these abilities are for another character and that this one might be the character with sniper abilities.

Just started playing this again with @mackenie,albeit with a dodgy ps4 pad while my ps5 pad is getting fixed🙃.but it feels great to have a few games again,so if anyone does see me on l,send me an invite :).

i was diamond many moons ago when i played so im not too bad.but you have to play apex with a team of friends and not randoms....urgh