Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

T Pot

22 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Some people do nothing but play one game. Bit bonkers to me, but whatever floats your boat.

I’m definitely not judging people on that one

DF5A51D3-3450-45B6-A195-55118A88AADA.thumb.png.1d024353f70faf5099571031eb6212f7.png

5 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Maybe I want to open them at all once though

Fair. Because you can’t get the same thing twice I remember seeing Shroud just buying hundreds of packs near launch until he got everything.

I switch between characters a lot, not really fussed about who I play but I find switching sometimes helps me get out of a run of bad games.

This weeks weeklies are much more friendly than last week, 10k LMG damage in arenas isn’t too tough and nor is 2.5k shotgun damage in BR. I’m level 70 or so now, the boost from the arena flash challenges is really helpful.

So me and @strawdonkey and @Pelekophoros have played together every monday (save some occasional rescheduling) for over a year now. We're not great, Pele is definitely better than me and Donk just by dint of playing more when we're not around. However for a while now I've been getting increasingly frustrated (i.e. becoming a moody cunt) because we're getting matched with people who far outstrip our skill level. We get fucking melted routinely and it's basically ruined the game for me. Now I thought I was being a drama bell end but I did a bit of googling after Donk said he went back for more after we split and had much better success, and I found these:

https://gamerant.com/apex-legends-skill-based-matchmaking-sbmm-broken-bugs/

It's nice to know I'm not paranoid if people are noticing it too. There's lots of older links about EBMM and SBMM but if they're anything to go by nothing will change. There's no fun in either getting utterly fucked on a hot drop or spending all match not seeing anyone only to become a loot delivery system for the last 4 squads.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

We've never tried ranked actually. Maybe we should. I dunno, I just can't see them changing it any time soon and that's a shame.

They won't it's been like this since about 6 months after release.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

We've never tried ranked actually. Maybe we should. I dunno, I just can't see them changing it any time soon and that's a shame.

I think a big issue is that as a party of 3, they try very hard to match you with other parties of 3. The pool of players in 3 man parties is lower than solo queuing, and so it can’t find a perfect match - meaning that you might get matched with good players. Good players are also more likely to be partied up. 

Give rank a try though.

The match making in Arena mode is pretty good. I’ve played a lot with the same squad and matches are usually tight. 

Yes the issue here is that you are getting matched with other 3 stacks, who in general will be much better, play the game more and coordinate better than random solos. Also I believe the matchmaking takes the best player in your squad and uses that as the benchmark for the skill based matchmaking. I've been in 3 stacks before where we have had one very good player in our team (20 kill badge, 30k+ kills etc) and all of a sudden you are teleported into pro-like lobbies where every bugger has similar stats to your buddy.

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Yes the issue here is that you are getting matched with other 3 stacks, who in general will be much better, play the game more and coordinate better than random solos. Also I believe the matchmaking takes the best player in your squad and uses that as the benchmark for the skill based matchmaking. I've been in 3 stacks before where we have had one very good player in our team (20 kill badge, 30k+ kills etc) and all of a sudden you are teleported into pro-like lobbies where every bugger has similar stats to your buddy.

While I have definitely put more time in than @moosegrinderand @strawdonkey, it's only been for the duration of one season and I am not really that far ahead of them in terms of levels of stats. Particularly when you balance that out with when we first started playing, Moose was by far the best player and would carry me and Donk in many matches.

It must be the 3 stack things but, my word, we got pummelled last night. We made it to top 10 every match, but mainly because nobody was near us. It was very unfun.

51 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

While I have definitely put more time in than @moosegrinderand @strawdonkey, it's only been for the duration of one season and I am not really that far ahead of them in terms of levels of stats. Particularly when you balance that out with when we first started playing, Moose was by far the best player and would carry me and Donk in many matches.

It must be the 3 stack things but, my word, we got pummelled last night. We made it to top 10 every match, but mainly because nobody was near us. It was very unfun.

I do feel bad singling you out as the root cause, because it's absolutely not your fault but the matchmaking, as all this information has show. It's a fucking stupid system.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I do feel bad singling you out as the root cause, because it's absolutely not your fault but the matchmaking, as all this information has show. It's a fucking stupid system.

Nah, don't feel bad. I'm ok with you thinking we get smashed because I am an Apex God.

It just doesn't make a whole lotta sense when you look at the stats though. 

To add to the above, I basically warm up for our sessions by playing the previous week's session, so jumped in for a few more rounds on my own straight after. There was a staggering drop in player quality, which resulted in a series of really good games and also a bit of a dent to my ego 👀

The matchmaking sadly feels quite wonky, I thought that it was just me being really terrible for ages (which is true) but getting chucked into games with others who are just as bad/casual as me really rams home just how wonky the matchmaking can be. There was something on reddit in the last couple of days where someone with literally one kill got matched up against someone with the 20-kills-in-one-Battle-Royale badge.

Ranked matchmaking is definitely better, it’s still tough though. I’ve made it to Gold IV now, does anyone know if I have to stay at that rank to get the badge or if it’s awarded for the highest rank you reached that season?

I guess I need to pick a character and focus in on them now. It seems like you really need to pick Wraith, Octane, Pathfinder or maybe Valk to succeed in ranked unless you’re extremely skilled. I’m learning to accept that Loba’s black market and Lifeline’s drop pod are basically magnets for other teams that loudly signal where you are to the whole world, so they’re probably not great choices. 

24 minutes ago, Broker said:

Ranked matchmaking is definitely better, it’s still tough though. I’ve made it to Gold IV now, does anyone know if I have to stay at that rank to get the badge or if it’s awarded for the highest rank you reached that season?

I guess I need to pick a character and focus in on them now. It seems like you really need to pick Wraith, Octane, Pathfinder or maybe Valk to succeed in ranked unless you’re extremely skilled. I’m learning to accept that Loba’s black market and Lifeline’s drop pod are basically magnets for other teams that loudly signal where you are to the whole world, so they’re probably not great choices. 

While I'm not sure, I think you keep any rank you got up to - except when it comes to Predator rank, you have to stay in that one for any rewards.

Needless to say, I have no first hand experience of that one.

Interesting.

Gold players definitely seem better, I’m getting less stupid team mates (though a lot of them are still intent on dropping at fragment). The RP cost in gold is huge though! I can’t see hiding in a bush if my team mates die being a viable strategy anymore.

23 hours ago, Broker said:

Interesting.

Gold players definitely seem better, I’m getting less stupid team mates (though a lot of them are still intent on dropping at fragment). The RP cost in gold is huge though! I can’t see hiding in a bush if my team mates die being a viable strategy anymore.

Nah placement will still net you positive RP

me and a friend played a game of gold ranked last night with a random. We were in skyhook still getting looted when he starts sprinting towards this building where THREE teams are going at it. I said “ok man unless you’re John wick can you hang back a second because we’re not ready yet”

so obviously he goes in and wipes the floor with them and then starts teabagging their downed buddies before using finishing moves on them and hunting down the stragglers

crazy shit

So we called him John Wick after that and got the W. He had 11 kills and I had 4 with 6 assists. I forget my friend. He sent me a friend request after

good times

What is it with kids and Octane? If I hear a kid on mics they are playing Octane. Every. Single. Time.

This has led me to start making big assumptions about the players behind the characters based on names and play styles.

Bloodhound? Newbie

Wraith? Alt-right 4channer

Mirage? European Uni student

Wattson? Oh crap, must be a good player 

Anyone else subconsciously develop these?

Jokeras is someone I played a few games with the other night then added to my friends list because we played pretty well together, guessing that’s the source of his request. 

My God the matchmaking is absolute torture. Ranked is virtually unplayable for me now.

Hotdrop every. single. time. ✅
8-12 years old ✅
Screaming Russian, French or Hungarian obscenities (on the UK server) into the quietest or loudest microphone on earth ✅

Dies within one minute ✅

Quits before you can recover ✅

Plays Octane ✅

Pings 8000000 times the second they die to a 3v1 ✅

Pad players even though I've switched crossplay off ✅

Single digit lifetime kills and wins ✅

Now that I'm in ranked gold I can get 16 points for a 20 minute rat game or lose 96 points in the same time because my squad of actual children died the second they hit the ground. I knew it was going to be bad because that's where all the crap players are stuck, but my God. The push and pull of combat is tuned so that you can MAYBE take a 2v1 but a 3v1 is certain death unless you're massively better than your opponents. Unlike something with a higher TTK you just don't have the chance to make enough impact before you've given your position away to 3-6 other players and you're dead. Which makes for a brilliant team game, but sucks when your team have snuffed it by hotdropping and dying. It seems like the road effectively runs out for solo queue around gold unless you're ludicrously good because "slightly above average" is a death sentence if your squadmates are useless.

I've won a couple of games where my squad lasted seconds and I ratted to 1st with a bit of guile and luck, but it's not something you can replicate easily.

On the flipside it seems like if I could get a squad together who spoke the same language as me and were also "slightly above average", we'd probably sail through to the final circle virtually every time.

It's half term next week as well. Lord save us.

That's the thing I don't understand. I constantly, and I mean constantly, get lumped in with people about a rank and a half below me, usually with one playing on a pad. And then run into premade teams a rank and a half above us all clearly playing on mouse and keys. I seriously don't think I've ever seen someone of a higher rank than me on my squad in hundreds of games. Sometimes I've seen them a couple of rank tiers higher (like I'm Gold 3 and they're Gold 2) but they're usually useless. They're usually premade duos as they're babbling away in a language I don't recognise and you can often hear the sounds of a public area behind them, like a web cafe or something like that. 

The strange thing is I ran into competent nice players all the time in the lower ranks who were making their way up and just passing through. But about a third of the playerbase is stuck in gold, either because they're bad or they're on tilt (or a mix of the two in my case) and it's hellish. I'm gonna need to hit up some LFG channels and find a squad to push on through I think.

Yeah I’m struggling in gold IV, so many people dropping fragment. They don’t realise they’re not that badass streamer they’ve seen clearing the place, they’re the idiots he’s clearing out.

25 shotgun knocks for this weeks weekly is quite the ordeal as well. I don’t generally use a shotgun unless I’m dropping hot and it’s what I find, trying to carry one is just demonstrating how shit I am with them. I did manage a win where I was running two shotguns though :lol: Got four kills by baiting people into buildings. 

My battle pass is level 97 now. Obviously there’s the ten levels to get to 110 for the badge and Eva-01 skin, after that is there no real point in bothering with the challenges? Guess I’ll grind away at gold ranked. I’ve given up on ratting unless I’ve got a few KP off drop. I figure as long as I get one decent game in five I’m gaining RP.

Loving the 2 shotguns loadout story, you madman! Back in the day when everyone were noobs me and a friend won a public match both dual-wielding (even worse back then) Mozambiques. That'll never happen again!

Sadly there is no point to challenges after you max out the battle pass although maybe you get exp off them? Certainly it would be nice for it to at least do that if it doesn't already, then you'd still be getting the small reward of working towards apex packs for doing them. I miss having challenges to work towards, it encourages you to play legends you don't usually touch and use weapons you're shit with. When the challenges stop rewarding you I slip back into comfort mode using legends like Wraith or Bloodhound with spitfires and r99s.

Just had a funny game where we had a level 20 Valkyrie with 0 kills as jumpmaster, who immediately hotdropped fragment with about 5 other squads. At EXACTLY the same time the other guy and myself both went "ughhhhh" on the microphone :lol:. Valkyrie instantly dies and pingpingpingpingping until muted. We didn't bother reviving. Then we got to final circle and came second without saying another word to each other.

Turns out I’ve been going about shotgun knocks all wrong. The key is to carry a regular weapon, play as Valk or Octane, fight until you crack their shield with your AR or LMG, then wildly reposition behind them with your shotgun out while they’re healing.  

So that’s another set of weeklies done, battle pass level 99.