Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

T Pot

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I landed off the flight path because it didn’t give me a team, the first circle was literally as far away as it could be, spent the whole game jogging into the zone, then just won without ever seeing anyone or hearing a gunshot :lol:

Since you shared, so shall I! 

Note the enthusiastic gunfire to the sky victory despite none of us doing a damn thing to deserve it.

52 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Any time a teammate moans at you for ratting just show them that clip! 

Unfortunately in battle royales the concept of the rat is an emergent by-product of the competitive scene, and I don't really know how they can solve it. It sucks because its usually very boring to play as a rat (albeit it can be tense) and for teammates or spectators it is an even worse timesink. But because placement = points no matter how many are alive on the team it is a viable strategy. I imagine in games like pubg ratting is less of an issue, because in those games a solo player has a better chance of taking out another squad due to the fast time-to-kill and lethal scoped weaponry. And stealth can actually get you free kills. But with Apex's longer time-to-kill, fast healing and the speed of character movement it is very hard to win against full squads which only incentivises hiding until the final fight of the game if you are solo.

Problem is I can't think of any easy fixes. You don't want to punish the lone survivor of a squad just because their buddies died, but in a way forcing them to play in such a passive style is a punishment in itself if you ignore the points gains. Likewise if you remove the incentive of big points for a solo player surviving, the likely player behaviour will be to kamikaze themselves at the next squad they find in the hopes of getting kill points and escaping rat purgatory with a glorious death. Maybe there is no solution because so far I've not seen any battle royale come up with an answer, or people are content with the ratting aspect of BRs.

I'm having a break from Apex (although I might be tempted back to Arenas for those alluring flash event skins). However I hopefully have a PS5 arriving soon and for damn sure I'll be booting up Apex on that to see how it performs. 

It’s also encouraged by some of the challenges. If the game tells me to get into the top three once as one of three characters I don’t like, it’s much less stressful to just hide for 20 minutes in a solo drop, have the XP and stars and forget about it. The alternative of trying to win as someone you don’t like playing as or fighting for the one good character from the three.

I agree that it makes more sense in PUBG as that game feels more like a survival game. It can be really tense just hiding and listening. In Apex though, I really don’t think it would hurt it to just make all the challenges combat focused and remove the survival and looting ones.

It is so demoralising to be stuck with bronze 4 level 10-15 players who do 0-50dmg over and over and over again. I'm reduced to ratting every game to eke out some RP. It really is the only way to win/survive unless you're so godlike so you can kill half the server without your squad, as placement is all that matters and you're playing solo within the first 30 seconds of most matches as they hotdrop and die virtually always. It's weird that matchmaking can seem to straddle two full ranks and will throw bronze players in with gold, and yet I never magically get a diamond on my squad. I just have to put the work in so I don't have to play through these really low tiers again.

Edit, Fifth game in a row today with a level <15 on my squad, I'm just going to solo drop and AFK in a bush. Edit, I came second and ranked up with 0dmg. Then got two more bronze pad players who hotdropped and died straight away. I'm currently sat in a bush watching rate my takeaway.

On 17/05/2021 at 14:53, Floshenbarnical said:

Good few games with the whispering @Broker last night, even if @Theholyhogg was too cool to accept our invites. I wiped a squad and saved the day right in the beginning, which was a misleading advertisement for my skill level.

I already had a squad lol:lol:

Plus im easing myself back into this,i like to be top dog and working my way back to that point :D.the short games of the arena are a brilliant addition too.

7 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Plus im easing myself back into this,i like to be top dog and working my way back to that point :D.the short games of the arena are a brilliant addition too.

Well you will definitely be top dog if you're playing with me

You can now set up community tournaments on https://therealm.gg, and these can be cross play. These basically work like private matches. 

Any interest in setting one of these private sessions up? 20 teams of 3 seems unlikely, but we could make it duos or whatever. We wouldn’t need to make it formal. 

It’s trivial to set one up, you just set a time slot (up to 3 hours) and give everyone a code. So If we got enough people interested, it’s just a matter of picking a time. 

I had possibly the best game of my life last night as Valkyrie, ranked, Silver I. Dropped at Countdown, I think it's called, and took out a squad there. Then we played the edge of the circle, stalking a few teams and taking whatever they left behind. We were up on a hill overlooking the train tracks and Train Yard or Sorting Factory or whatever it's called. That sprawl of buildings. I scanned a beacon to find out where the final(ish) circle would be, and then we engaged a team at range who were hiding amongst the rail cars on the elevated tracks. It was a waste of time, because they had a Gibby and a Lifeline, so I recommended to my random teammates that we save our ammo because they'd eventually have to leave to make ring.

So we hid up on the hill amongst a cluster of crates and solid fences, where we got engaged by a team up on a cliff to our three o' clock when facing the team in rail cars to our 12 o' clock. They had charge rifles and we had LMGs etc so I again recommended we find cover and avoid letting them level up their EVO shields - again, they'd have to reposition to make ring. I knew they would flank the mountain behind us and pop up on our 9 o'clock to avoid crossing open ground in eyesight of two teams, so I pinged a spot for my teammate to keep eyes on that spot.

That put us in a tough position, because we would be sandwiched between two teams and we couldn't reposition due to the ring. Luckily, while either team made a move to engage us they would be exposed to the other team's fire so I was hoping we could use cover to hunker down while they wore each other down.

My flanking suspicion was right - they came in from 9 o'clock hugging the cliff face but a couple thermite grenades and Bang's ult rerouted them into the open where they were engaged by the team in the rail car who hadn't quite been forced out yet. I used the chaos to pop out and knock a couple of the 9 o'clock team - they got trapped in the moving team while their Wraith repositioned to heal.

At that moment the rail car team made their move and dropped down. I had instructed my teammates to focus fire on Lifeline, and we shredded her immediately. She was separated from Gibby, so as he split away from his teammate to drop a shield and heal her we focused on Pathfinder. We cracked his shield and he repositioned to heal, at which point he ran into Wraith. They traded some bullets while I flew up in the air and launched a seeker swarm at Lifeline who Gibby hadn't reached yet. Eliminated. He got a little freaked out so he threw his airstrike at us and dropped his bubble.

This was a problem as we had no overhead cover, but I managed to avoid taking damage by flying up into the air. My teammates were not so lucky. One of mine went down and the other one was cracked and low. Gibby knew one of us was down and the other one was cracked so he decided to push us and hope that his Pathfinder would win out over Wraith. However, he had to waddle uphill straight into my Spitfire, so he went down. I then turned my attention on Pathfinder and Wraith, who were engaging each other again. I helped Pathfinder out and helped him take out Wraith, and then while he was spinning round trying to find me I sprinted forwards and slid down the hill towards him, hip firing at more or less point blank. I eliminated him as I was sliding through him. Champions!

It wasn't until I tried to celebrate by firing my gun in the air while teabagging his deathbox that I realized I had killed him with my last clip in my R301 and my Spitfire was dry - no sky shooting for me. If I had missed my shots with that last slide it's anyone's guess what might have happened.

tl;dr made good use of positioning for once despite getting pinched between two teams which is how I almost always die

I came second four times yesterday for around 200RP by hiding in bushes and sneaking toward the circle. It doesn't feel good but it works.

48 minutes ago, Moz said:

I came second four times yesterday for around 200RP by hiding in bushes and sneaking toward the circle. It doesn't feel good but it works.

I way prefer ranked even though I hate the map. Pubs is just non stop hot drop sweaty madness

Is it possible to continue my progress from PS4 when I get the new Xbox? Doing a google search seems to indicate that people don't know what the fuck they're talking about and there are very contradicting messages out there. 

6 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Is it possible to continue my progress from PS4 when I get the new Xbox? Doing a google search seems to indicate that people don't know what the fuck they're talking about and there are very contradicting messages out there. 

Nope. No cross progression at all.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Nope. No cross progression at all.

Fantastic. Oh well, it might be fun starting all over again. If nothing else it should be a bit easier on the Xbox as I like the controller better and the gameplay should feel a bit more smooth over the PS4. 

I'm playing on Series X and notice that textures are loading in slowly on character selection screens.  

Anyone else? 

Edit: forget it, I just checked and it's installed on the spinning platter external drive I've got, which won't be the quickest to transfer. 

On 19/05/2021 at 20:19, Theholyhogg said:

That explains why you never accept my invites on any game and choose to play with @mackenie and his shit thumbs.

How quickly do people generally get through the battle pass? Between the weeklies, dailies and the stars you get from regular XP I’m already at level 55, seems like I’ll probably complete it half way through the season :lol:

I assume it just stops levelling up once you reach 110? I saw a guy online earlier who was level 104, which seems insane and I’ve been playing loads. He also had 700+ kills with Valk though, so I guess maybe he just gets tonnes of XP each match. I guess I’ll focus on ranked once the second slip starts and it’s on Olympus. 

I usually limp over the line at the end, occasionally not hitting 110. Depends on the season, really - though no cross progression has really hit my enthusiasm for being an item hoarder. Good thing too, imagine feeling you needed every skin and heirloom as well as everything in the battle passes?

Not gonna lie, I feel EA could monetize this game way more effectively than they currently are - which is trying to snipe anyone with sacks and sacks of cash into buying massively overpriced skins.

I mean, sure, they've got bean counters counting beans and seeing what works and what doesn't. Thing is, they're taking aim at whales who probably don't play many other games or have tons of cash on hand to waste as they see fit. You'd think boosting the value of what's on offer would get more people to buy more shit.

I mean, if ridiculous skin prices is the only way to keep the game profitable and free, have at it - but I'd like to be able to buy occasional nuggets without feeling ripped off. As it sits, I've even ignored the battle pass this season because everything on it is useless for me and it takes a lot of effort to chew through when you've got other games on your plate.

The Champion Edition seemed like an okay buy, saving potentially hundreds of hours unlocking new characters, a few decent skins and some Apex coins if I remember right. £160 or whatever so that Caustic gets a hammer? Ehhhh....

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I mean, sure, they've got bean counters counting beans and seeing what works and what doesn't. Thing is, they're taking aim at whales who probably don't play many other games or have tons of cash on hand to waste as they see fit. You'd think boosting the value of what's on offer would get more people to buy more shit.

I mean, if ridiculous skin prices is the only way to keep the game profitable and free, have at it - but I'd like to be able to buy occasional nuggets without feeling ripped off. As it sits, I've even ignored the battle pass this season because everything on it is useless for me and it takes a lot of effort to chew through when you've got other games on your plate.

The Champion Edition seemed like an okay buy, saving potentially hundreds of hours unlocking new characters, a few decent skins and some Apex coins if I remember right. £160 or whatever so that Caustic gets a hammer? Ehhhh....

yeah I’m not fussed about this season because I don’t need or want anything in it. I’m just focusing on trying to enjoy ranked games, and saving up 500 apex packs. I think if you go through 500 at once it guarantees you a box. 

I have 14

I'm pretty sure you don't have to save up the 500 boxes to open in one go, I'd check online about that. That would be crazy. Just that your 500th opened box at any time will get you the heirloom.

I also got a bit Apexed out and stopped playing for now, the shitty battle pass doesn't inspire me, the only stuff I'm keen on is the skydive emote in there. I got this battle pass free with my apex coins from last battle pass so at least I got the starter skins. 

I did nab myself a PS5 last week though so I will download it at some point soon just to see whether the improved performance from my PS4 makes much of a difference to gameplay.

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

yeah I’m not fussed about this season because I don’t need or want anything in it. I’m just focusing on trying to enjoy ranked games, and saving up 500 apex packs. I think if you go through 500 at once it guarantees you a box. 

I have 14

You don’t need to open them all at once, it just keeps track of how many you’ve opened. Every pack has a low chance of having an heirloom, and if you’ve not gotten one by the time you open 500 packs you’re guaranteed one in the 500th. Similarly, if you open 30 packs without getting a gold item there will be one in the 30th pack.

33 minutes ago, Broker said:

You don’t need to open them all at once, it just keeps track of how many you’ve opened. Every pack has a low chance of having an heirloom, and if you’ve not gotten one by the time you open 500 packs you’re guaranteed one in the 500th. Similarly, if you open 30 packs without getting a gold item there will be one in the 30th pack.

Maybe I want to open them at all once though