IGNORED

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

T Pot

I keep doing poorly at straight-up firefights but making it through most of the game by exploiting the stuff in between: effective looting, knowing what you’re walking in to, careful use of skills and working as a unit. I’m definitely on support rather than tank but it seems like that makes a difference.

The team that loots together shoots together.

31 minutes ago, mackenie said:

Also earlier in the night, had a strange moment where two guys ran right past me, and I thought the Mirage was hard to see. Also I finished the heal like a boss!

They must have either thought you were downed or were tunnel-visioned on the doorway! You lucky toad!

32 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

They must have either thought you were downed or were tunnel-visioned on the doorway! You lucky toad!

The only lucky part was I managed to wipe them two before getting ambushed by yet another team lol

I love this game, and I also hate it. So addictive and fun. Sometimes I can go 5 games without a kill, then get 5 kills in a game.

Had a funny game the other day, I was streaming on Mixer via the Xbox and just lost out against the final squad. I was swearing like a trooper as usual "F***ing c***s, useless f***ing wan**r, how the f**k did that twat not die" etc. I had about 1200 viewers from being in the Hype Zone on Mixer and hadn't noticed at all :D 

You're tempting me to put up my 9-kill streak vid. It's nowhere near as glorious as we get pinched near the end, and thankfully you can't hear me screaming with excitement as I keep escaping what I thought was certain death - it was a quick game while I was waiting for two of my Rllmuk boys to load up so I hot-dropped into Skulltown and went on a suicide run but failed to die. I felt a bit like the wandering orc from Skyrim until I got cut down in the desert.

Met my first bonafide hacker on this tonight. Sat and watched them for a while. Sights were snapping to targets and they were just mowing down everyone with their Spitfire. Their level 5 Lifeline had 13 kills when I left and there was still a considerable amount to go. ☹️

2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

You're tempting me to put up my 9-kill streak vid. It's nowhere near as glorious as we get pinched near the end, and thankfully you can't hear me screaming with excitement as I keep escaping what I thought was certain death - it was a quick game while I was waiting for two of my Rllmuk boys to load up so I hot-dropped into Skulltown and went on a suicide run but failed to die. I felt a bit like the wandering orc from Skyrim until I got cut down in the desert.

Do it bro thats whats this thread is for 8-)

So, this is probably stupid but I am still not completely comfortable with FPSes where you have iron sights and I think purposefully aiming carefully in every engagement is holding me back. I’m on the same muscle memory as Mass Effect I think, which was the first time I used a modern FPS/third person control scheme. 

Does hipfire work in a close engagement or am I just spraying bullets around? When should I be using one or the other?

Close engagement is all about hip fire because people move too quickly to track with ADS. If the cross hairs are the same size as someone’s body you’re good to go. Don’t just spray though, you have to track properly. Headshots are really valuable if you can get them. 

Had a dogshit chain of matches today. Shook out really badly. 

Is there a PS4 Rllmuk Community group for this?  If there is, can you start a game and ping (?) the community to say anyone want to play?

I've never used a Community before so not sure how it works, but I feel a bit weird about adding lots of people I don't *really* know then sending out a whole pile of invites individually on the few occasions I do get to play.  Maybe that's an ok way to do things?

It's so long since I did proper online gaming that don't know how things work anymore :O

38 minutes ago, fish said:

Is there a PS4 Rllmuk Community group for this?  If there is, can you start a game and ping (?) the community to say anyone want to play?

I've never used a Community before so not sure how it works, but I feel a bit weird about adding lots of people I don't *really* know then sending out a whole pile of invites individually on the few occasions I do get to play.  Maybe that's an ok way to do things?

It's so long since I did proper online gaming that don't know how things work anymore :O

We've got a group chat with a few of us if u want us to add you? 

I think there is a few groups with different ps4 rllmuk players in,all doing thier own thing.

3 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

We've got a group chat with a few of us if u want us to add you? 

I think there is a few groups with different ps4 rllmuk players in,all doing thier own thing.

That would be awesome, I'm not on that often, but would love to get a game whenever I do turn up :)

4 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I sucked big, fat, smelly dicks all night in Apex. So demoralizing. Ho hum. I’ll try again Friday. 

Happens all the time, you should of seen me, hoggle n vin last night. seemed like half the games we got top 3 and half we bombed. That could easily of been a night where we 100% bombed, especially if your relying on randoms in such a team themed game.

It's a shame the battle pass is so boring, I was hoping it would give me some incentive or direction to keep going but a week after purchasing it I've played less than I was before. The tiers take forever and the rewards are literal shit, with pretty much nothing bar the odd free loot box that actually looks interesting. I'm also now around level 70 on my regular level, so getting no rewards from that either. 

I love the feel of it, but there's too much reliance on other people for me I think. I play for random lengths of time at unpredictable hours, rarely see people online and don't have a regular enough schedule to organise regular play, and without a solo mode it's just too much of a grind to keep on hoping my teammates aren't shit. Everyone wants to land somewhere incredibly hot, often poorly timed so that we arrive there after everyone else. Most games at least one, if not both of my teammates gets killed and disconnects within the first minute of the game. Often they disconnect before that. 

I know that the team stuff is the draw for most people, and it's so beautifully designed with the pinging and the respawns. But I can't play the squad mode in a way that's satisfying, and with the battle pass just being a challenge to keep playing the game the exact same way I don't think I'll be persevering. I really wish they would just respond quickly, instead of the fucking glacial pace everyone but Epic seems to operate at. They're making changes to Fortnite so quickly, and it feeds into constant talk about the game. Bad news is often buried the next day by an update or another, unrelated change. Everyone else seems to think waiting ten weeks and promising that next time it will be better if you give us another tenner and it is so fucking stupid.

With PUBG, I bought their battle pass and it was shit, though nowhere near as shit as the Apex one, because there were at least some things I wanted. The challenges sucked and it was poorly designed, hard to use and buggy. I completed that battle pass, mainly because I was playing tonnes of PUBG. The second one seemed better on paper, but the improvement was marginal, and I couldn't be bothered to see it out. I saw the other day that there's a new one, but when I reinstalled Windows the other day I didn't bother with PUBG.

I figured I'd give the Apex one a shot because my direction in the game was wavering and I was getting bored, but it adds literally nothing. If their plan is to leave it in this shit state and expect me to pay for the next one I'm never making that mistake again. In fact, I'm increasingly thinking that the way that these things are structured is too much effort and investment when they have never felt satisfying at all.

There was a whole article on Eurogamer about how disappointing the battle pass is a joyless slog and it was one of those pieces that makes me feel old.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-21-apex-legends-battle-is-a-joyless-slog

Surely people just play Apex, or any BR game, for the thrill? The chance of getting awesome loot when you land, the surprise encounters, the ultra tense endgame, the elation that comes with winning?

Who the fuck cares about grinding away for cosmetic rewards? 

I understand that build or weapon progression is a great motivator but none of these games have that. It's just cosmetic. So why does it matter? You either find the game fun or not. How can a battle pass make a previously-fun game a joyless slog?

It's like I said before, my rough analogy is the satisfaction of watching a friendly football match vs watching your team advance through a league. The gameplay is the same but you get extra "meaning" out of the metagame aspect of it. There's some part of our lizard brain that likes unlocking new and shiny skins. Even though I have lvl 100 and can't get more Apex Packs that way, I'm still a bit excited when I get the free ones from the battle pass because there are still skins and banners I want.

In other news, I feel the pain of you guys getting wrecked. Last night I played 3 games in a row and every game was a joyless slog collecting loot for half the game, only to get instantly eliminated by the first teams we encountered. 2/3 teams had someone good with skullpiecer wingman and I was downed from midrange in a few shots (even through smoke, probably had digital threat). Another one I got shot from behind and was down before I could even fire a shot. My teammates (who were also lvl 100) died very shortly afterwards.

Each person that killed me had the 20 kill badge and multiple thousands of kills. It's so demoralising and frustrating when you feel like you have no chance and run into the "elites" as your first fight. It's a problem that I have with BR games in general and brought back to mind the long games in Fortnite where you'd run across the landscape for 15 minutes only to get insta shotgunned by a guy hiding in a bush. 

On Reddit people are moaning about how ineffective the longbow is, although they are kinda right, anyone who has faced a good player with skullpiecer wingman should not be wanting ways to get killed in a few shots by sniper rifles. I like the high time to kill in this game but when you meet weapons in the mid-game that break that rule it can be really frustrating. Such as Skullpiecer Wingman and R99 with extended mag.