IGNORED

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

T Pot

Any tips on how to get good at this?

The training is kind of sparse, and I dropped into a game and it's not that clear...or am I just old?!

Stick like glue to someone who knows what they're doing and survive the first drop. I've been playing since launch and I'm still shite.

Don't get too hung up on performance and realise that 99/100 when you die, it's usually your own mistake that caused it.

GT in the spreadsheet? I'll hit you up if it's PS4

The first major balance patch is out today. Featuring minor nerfs to Wingman, Peacekeeper, Wraith's portal, Bangalore's dodge speed and a buff to Caustic traps. I still think the Wingman will remain too strong after this, but the Peacekeeper nerf is along the right lines. Also features their thoughts on balancing the "fat" Legends over time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/ay5hh2/live_balance_update_live_on_all_platforms_lets/

EDIT - it's worth noting the Legend changes aren't coming out until Season 1 which is in a week or two I believe.

11 minutes ago, Pob said:

Someone I played with did the gag of pinging every Mozambique they found. I thought it was funny and have started doing it myself.

I like to do it while my teammates are in the middle of a fight.

1 hour ago, max renn said:

Don't get too hung up on performance and realise that 99/100 when you die, it's usually your own mistake that caused it.

I find that 99/100 it's because my team mates decided to go somewhere else on the map. Just had a game where we were doing fine, I was in the lead and pinged a location from the balloon - the other two decided to head in the other direction and got slaughtered shortly after.

I mean, I was on the balloon outside the ring slowly getting melted, not like I could just backtrack and catch up when they decided to go walkies. 

52 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

The training is kind of sparse, and I dropped into a game and it's not that clear...or am I just old?!

Take these tips with a pinch of salt because I'm not great myself but slowly got myself up to level 40 and I became kill leader for the first time yesterday - felt good.

1) You absolutely have to move (dodge sideways, jump etc) and shoot at the same time or you're toast. This seems obvious but aiming can be hard at first and your instinct will be to just get shots on target and be a sitting duck.

2) This game rewards aggression and to really get your skills up to match fitness you are best dropping into hot zones and learning how to do number 1. You will die. A lot. But the restart turnaround is quick and you will learn much faster how to dodge and shoot and generally pick up the rythym.

3) Pick two heroes and stick to them to learn their skills. You won't always get your first choice.

4) If you don't drop into a hotzone stick to your teammates and learn from their playstyle. Support with grenades and healing etc.

5) Try different weapons in the training section and see which feel right for you. Short to mid range seem to be best for all situations. The R99 and Spitfire are among the most popular and easyish to use.

6) Get good at hiding after taking damage and healing/boosting shields quickly.

7) If you are chasing an injured enemy remember they'll be trying to outfox you. Go in the opposite direction to where they would naturally run. ie flank them.

8) High ground is very useful.

9) Camping doesn't really pay in Apex. Speed and decisiveness do.

10) Always ping the Mozambique to your team mates.

My favourite teammates so far are the Wraith players who "scout ahead", inevitably discover an entire enemy team and get slaughtered despite thinking they are some sort of master of stealth, then ping the enemies repeatedly in a passive aggressive manner while we're still a few minutes away. Usually then disconnecting anyway if we survive the counter attack.

Another tip for newbs or anyone really is if you get killed by a good or experienced player (check their banner), spectate them. You can learn a lot by watching other people. It can also be good to watch players on Twitch/Youtube, but don't fall into the trap of watching people like Shroud, Dizzy, Dr Disrespect etc and emulating their playstyle because they play very aggressively and rely a lot on godlike aim and good backup from teammates to carry them through otherwise suicidal attacks. You can pick up some good micro tips from their play though.

1 hour ago, Dinobot said:

It's a very fast paced shooter, learn to to play very mobile, find some guns you're comfortable with and stick with your team, if you have a good pair then follow them, make sure to utilise the ping system as much as possible. At the end of the day the more you play it the better you will become as you will learn the map, guns and legend abilities and be able to utilise this knowledge effectively. Camping in this is generally a bad idea unless you're right at the end and within the circle.

Had a good win with Tomdominer last night. Got to the last circle and the other team were further down the valley at some distance, Had an extended exchange of fire at range but they began to push against us, unfortunately for them we had high ground advantage and we're victorious :)

No news on this and I wouldn't expect it for months if it's in the pipeline. They'll want to roll out season passes for a few months at least to test those out, and see how their playerbase holds up before thinking about splitting players between multiple playlists. Plus all the work involved with matchmaking, new UI, balance that you'd need for those. The devs are already under massive pressure just to keep the game ticking along, and pushing the essentials like battle pass, new cosmetics, report features, cracking down on cheats and bugs. I can't forsee any big changes for months simply because they won't have the manpower until they expand.

Just had another interesting match. We took the bunker at the start, and then my two random team buddies refused to leave it. Nobody else came in, weirdly, and my prompts to get them to leave failed - so we went into the final squad with almost no ammo against one who'd obviously been grabbing everything they could find.

Wasn't pretty.

Some balancing has already been deployed:

WEAPON ADJUSTMENTS LIVE ON ALL PLATFORMS

Wingman

Rate of fire reduced from 3.1 -> 2.6 shots per second.

Skullpiercer Headshot damage multiplier reduced from 2.5 -> 2.25

Increased base hip fire spread and decreased the rate at which hip fire spread decays (shrinks back down).

Peacekeeper

Shotgun Bolt rechamber rate has been reduced for the Peacekeeper only.

Level 1 mitigation 10% -> 7.5%

Level 2 mitigation 20% -> 13%

Level 3 mitigation 25% -> 16%

Wingman and Peacekeeper availability has been reduced in all zone tiers.

Increased availability of energy weapons & ammo in all zone tiers.

I had a cheeky go earlier and the nerfs don't seem to have affected my ability with the wingman though I did have to kill a wielder to get hold of one.

I like that the devs aren't rushing in changes and making sure they get changes right, the level of polish and balance that this released with was already high so I have faith in how they will progress the game.

I didn't realise the shotgun bolt increased rate-of-fire. I thought it was a recoil thing. Doh. Shame that's been nerfed.

The skullpiercer nerf is minor. A Wingman headshot will still shatter any shield or down an unshielded opponent.

Everyone! Don't rush in to congratulate me on solving the issue of quitters, but I have solved the issue of quitters.

Basically, the answer is thus. Every time someone leaves early, you get a massive WANKER banner above their heads. It's neon pink, and animated. Obviously, in the interests of game balance, this doesn't show to the enemies. Every time the quitter loots a death box, your characters mutter about 'that wanker' stealing goodies that could be used for someone with more moral character. Every time they slide down a hill, they tumble and start rolling down pitifully instead, with comedy 'parp parp' music going off in the background.

Then, a care package only visible to them drops from the sky. They try to open it up and see - gosh! - DIAMOND tier loot! Once they pick it up however, it transforms into double mozambiques which they can't drop, with the tooltip 'NICE TRY, WANKER' appearing above each gun. And if they're about to win, they get disconnected just as their (better) team mate deals the final blow.

I'm a million bucks a year, plus generous bonuses. How about it, Respawn?

Lttp and I've not posted on rllmuk for forever, but I think I've been enjoying playing this a bit?  I've not played any competitive shooters for a long time so I die *a lot*, but I'm having fun.  Anyway, I added myself to the player list in the hope I can play with some real people some time :D

4 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

No news on this and I wouldn't expect it for months if it's in the pipeline. They'll want to roll out season passes for a few months at least to test those out, and see how their playerbase holds up before thinking about splitting players between multiple playlists. Plus all the work involved with matchmaking, new UI, balance that you'd need for those.

I think if it becomes a thing, they’d have prepped for all that already.

In the medium term a solo queue gives them a way of combatting the (seemingly) increasing prevalence of people dropping off and doing their own thing because They Know Best. If they're able to give the try-hards their own playroom then I'm all for it, though I agree the game would seem to lose much of its appeal in the process.