rllmuk
Mr Tony

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

I’m really enjoying this game.

For me it’s the Rocket League of first person shooters.

Maybe not quite as refined in its mechincs but in terms of easy to just get in and get playing without endless splash screens or paralysing options.

Ive won a fair few games now and im

learning it better to have a shotgun than most other automatic weapons.

I get bummed out when I die out of nowhere though.

First game of the day, both guys peel off instantly in opposite directions to worse loot locations with more people. One instantly dies. Head to the other who is getting shot at but not pinging anything. Wipe the entire squad and revive him, he disconnects (probably crashed tbf). Sigh. It goes both ways though, I'm constantly seeing guys wander into my squad alone at the start of the game. It's almost always a wraith too.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

It's almost as if removing the need for voice comms has made randoms extra especially more stupid than usual.

Genuinely I think it's a lot of kids and/or a lot of people who watch Shroud and Dizzy play - who don't ping and run around solo most of the time - and think "I can do that" despite much repeated evidence to the contrary.

I've had three wins in the last couple of days, 2 this morning, including one where I got my randoms to sit in a tree line with our backs to the trees and facing into the circle, another other squad ran past us and fought the other remaining squad for us and then we finished them off :D

The other day I was absolutely not carried to victory by a guy who (after our other teammate dropped solo and instantly died and we'd dropped onto the Dropship and I was killed) proceeded to respawn me, then saved me from death on at least two occasions while I had no gear by taking out the enemy squads solo, then guided us around the map before finishing off the last three players by flanking them while I wondered how he'd climbed the wall so I could join him. He got 18 kills and 2,500 damage.

I did revive him mid-way though, so he owed the whole thing to me, really.

Got my first win earlier in the week, got another win last night where I was also kill leader. 

Fuck me I love this game. I'm not amazing at it but everything just clicks. When I'm playing it I'm so happy. When I'm not playing it I just think about playing it. 

It's fucking hooked me. 

• Upvote 4

Dropped into a round with no team mates so thought fuck it, I'm not even gonna pick up a gun. See how I do.

Came third

• Upvote 2

Only thing for me that needs changing is that there is too much disparity between the shields. Too many fights come down to "oh he has a purple shield and I don't."

Which is a complaint I've had with all BR games. 

I must be lucky as most of the games I have with randoms are perfectly fine. Maybe I'm happy following where they go. Had a game today where we had 21 kills, 11/5/5 and we didn't speak at all. (Obviously carried by someone who was amazing, but still randoms).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Only thing for me that needs changing is that there is too much disparity between the shields. Too many fights come down to "oh he has a purple shield and I don't."

Which is a complaint I've had with all BR games. 

Coming from a predominately COD background  I agree but without this kind of mechanic (the push for better armour & gear) I don’t think anything other than the ring would stop people sitting in buildings camping.

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I don't think it's that bad. They go up in steps of 25%, so it's not crazy. 

38 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

I don't think it's that bad. They go up in steps of 25%, so it's not crazy. 

For me it's too much of a decider. Should go up in increments of 15%. One hit essentially. 

There could be other advantageous pick ups. Drop smoke when shield pops, run faster etc...

2 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Drop smoke when shield pops, run faster etc...

Play as Banngalor. She runs faster when shot at & carries smoke grenades.

The shield mechanic works like armor in Quake, I'm comfortable with it. At least you know what armor someone has on when you hit them.

9 minutes ago, Moz said:

The shield mechanic works like armor in Quake, I'm comfortable with it. At least you know what armor someone has on when you hit them.

Yeah I know how it works, I just think it gives too much of an advantage. I prefer skill with an edge rather than luck deciding 

11 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Yeah I know how it works, I just think it gives too much of an advantage. I prefer skill with an edge rather than luck deciding 

I sort of agree - I like things to die when I land a clip full of hits, but it’s not really luck is it? They went out and searched for the best armor. That’s what the game is, right, a trade off of exposure while looting versus caution and playing it safe. If you know the map well and are competent enough to get good loot without being killed then you will have a competitive edge, which you’d be foolish to not seek out because everyone else is doing the same thing.

Most of the time when I get killed it’s because they have better gear than me AND they’re more skilled, both with twitch skills and tactics. 

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I sort of agree - I like things to die when I land a clip full of hits, but it’s not really luck is it? They went out and searched for the best armor. That’s what the game is, right, a trade off of exposure while looting versus caution and playing it safe. If you know the map well and are competent enough to get good loot without being killed then you will have a competitive edge, which you’d be foolish to not seek out because everyone else is doing the same thing.

Most of the time when I get killed it’s because they have better gear than me AND they’re more skilled, both with twitch skills and tactics. 

Of course it's luck if you find better kit. 

32 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Of course it's luck if you find better kit. 

Keep dropping into the same location until you’ve learned it back to front, and repeat for other areas. Reduces luck a lot. I can also almost guarantee that people with awesome gear are using Lifeline, also. Her drops carry some awesome gear. 

Dont get me wrong, I die all the time but I have the reactions of a rotting corpse and tend to panic under fire in FPS games. 

Hadn’t played in a few days but looks like the entire community had! Six games, not one player lower than level 26. One champion had something like 1020 kills and over 350000 damage inflicted!

i find my number one way of getting killed is while reviving others!

I've not gone back in since the first week because the prospect or playing with fucking morons does not appeal. Do we have any kind of roadmap or timeline for this from Respawn?

I’ve found randoms to be mostly fine on XB1. Respawn are brilliant at designing games that allow teams to work together without voice comms. 

I’ve not been this addicted to an MP game since Modern Warfare 2. It’s absolutely brilliant.  

• Upvote 5

So, this thread has enticed me to turn my PS4 back on (first time since June last year). Christ....the Ps Store seems slow. I can't even get to download it.  

Tried doing it remotely through their website and that too won't even let me log in. Infuriating. 

My first win with randoms earlier :D A couple of french guys.

I shamelessly just add people who are good and who ping, now. They usually accept.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

Game needs a "stay as party" button for sure. Hopefully they'll add it.

Yeah, there’s no group up command is there

• Upvote 1

Finished fourth in a round today, we didn't see anyone until near the end when the circle was tiny, then it did that thing where it shifts a bit so everyone has to move and my team of randoms collectively shit the bed, I got 1 kill, the others got none and we all died within a second of each other :lol:

im finding playing with randoms to be okay still so far, mostly probably because I'm the shit one on the team 99% of the time. What I do find though is the game helps me get the housework done. I'll do a task around the house, do a round, then another job and on and on and ariston.

Had two randoms earlier who had lots of badges and rare borders and whatnot and we ended up in a hot zone where they died instantly and logged out. I managed 2 kills before I was ultimately fucked in the earhole by a squad of 3. I feel pretty good about it, mind.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Timmo said:

I can't get over the fact it's free when other, full-priced games (such as Black Ops 4) are so brazen at pushing their microtransactions. This game is incredibly respectful to anyone who doesn't want to pay. Which ironically makes me more likely to. I'd be interested to know how much money they're making.

+1. I have $35 in PS currency I got for my birthday that I was going to spend on a game, but I think I’m going to spend it on Apex just to say cheers. I don’t actually want any of the cosmetics but the game was free and it’s really good. 

• Upvote 3

Won 6 out of 12 games yesterday. Lucky to have randoms who know how to play. 

Today I played about 20 games and ended up on my own in about half of them after 2 mins. Teammates were shocking. 

Although I can comfortably finish in top 3 on my own most of the time but winning against even a squad of two in the final two squads is close to Impossible. 

They really need to hurry and bring out solo play. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Pob said:

I’ve found randoms to be mostly fine on XB1. Respawn are brilliant at designing games that allow teams to work together without voice comms. 

I’ve not been this addicted to an MP game since Modern Warfare 2. It’s absolutely brilliant.  

Would be good to team up with a few xbox players. Randoms today have been driving me bonkers. My tag is RYAN WHITELAW if you are interested. 

• Upvote 2