rllmuk
Mr Tony

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

Blimey

from vg247

Apex Legends’ player base continues to grow, and the battle royale shooter has now reached an impressive new milestone.

Developer Respawn Entertainment has revealed that since the game’s launch a week ago, over 25 million players have tried it across all platforms. The more impressive statistic, however, is that over the weekend, over 2 million players were logged in simultaneously.

The game has more than doubled both figures between last Thursday and the weekend, which is not something you often see in the industry.

makes you wonder how the likes of EA manage to cluster fuck every single launch, beta and demo to the point of collapse every time.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Dave White said:

makes you wonder how the likes of EA manage to cluster fuck every single launch, beta and demo to the point of collapse every time.

Impossible sale expectations to generate an impossible amount of revenue to recuperate from the massive financial investment in combination with a "these suckers bought our previous games, surely they'll buy this one. They like us right?" attitude.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, df0 said:

Impossible sale expectations to generate an impossible amount of revenue to recuperate from the massive financial investment in combination with a "these suckers bought our previous games, surely they'll buy this one. They like us right?" attitude.

Yeah, Battlefield V that they considered really disappointing saleswise "only" sold a mere 7 million, and they're on the phone to the investors apologising. I hope this game does well in the long run not only for Respawn's sake but to teach EA a lesson.

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

Yeah of course, these are are always team efforts. I didn't imply otherwise did I?

It was a very intense match in any case. Proper laugh out loud stuff at the end there as well. Good fun!

Relax, it wasn't a stab at you. My most memorable matches included reviving and I was revived myself during the match that led to my first win. This game is great, finally a BR game I can enjoy, I haven't been this into a BR game since H1Z1.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, max renn said:

What sensitivity settings peeps running? 

I've got look on 9 and ADS on 7 at the moment but I think I might need to tone that down not sure.

On console I'm still struggling to find my preffered sensitivity settings too. To make matters worse there are 4 controller stick behaviour options, plus dead zone options!

The game is going from strength to strength:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-12-apex-legends-smashes-25-million-player-mark-dominates-twitch

And at 9pm tonight there's the Twitch Rivals tournament where a bunch of popular streamers play in a series of matches:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/11/18220730/how-to-watch-twitch-rivals-apex-legends-twitch-rivals-tournament-stream

Of course that time window will eat into my precious Apex gaming time so maybe I'll watch it at a later date!

I've been watching Dr. Disrespect a bit the past few days and his fake beef with Shroud is hilarious (in real life they're good mates). Dr. Disrespect is a great player (example I watched his team get 2 wins in a row with over 30 squad kills each time!) - and he's very entertaining - but if you pop onto Shroud's stream his aim is just unreal and his team rack up insane amounts of kills. Both players regularly get 1500-2000 damage+ every single match. I'm pretty happy when I get over 500!

Has anyone got access to a frame rate tester?

I'd love to see an analysis of how different FoVs affect frame rate on console (ideally PS4 Pro). Console default is 70, whereas PC default is 90. A lot of streamers are recommending console players use at least 90, but I'd be interested to see if that means frame rate takes a hit.

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I hope this game does well in the long run not only for Respawn's sake but to teach EA a lesson.

What lesson is this exactly going to teach EA out of interest?

• Upvote 1

That you don't need huge marketing campaigns to sell a good game. That a game can (hopefully) be successful with an upfront microtransaction model with no pay to win elements. To have faith in your developers instead of interfering (BFV I'm looking at you).

Re: Field Of View on console - you get framerate drops on base PS4 when a lot's going on around you (airstrikes, smoke etc) and it warns you in the menu that upping the FOV can cause framerate deterioration. Would love to hear from anyone that tries upping theirs whether there was a performance hit - and if it affected your gameplay much.

Last night I had role reversal at the Thunder Dome. The circle was small and 1 of the 3 remaining teams was holed up in the platform overlooking the arena. Our teammate went up on the zip line to the platform and instantly got eliminated. I placed a Wraith portal behind cover, and put the exit directly below the platform. Then I ziplined up, grabbed the death tag - into a hail of gunfire - and used my invincibility to drop down and escape through my portal. They didn't want to follow me and give up their position. We rezzed our guy, but then another direct assaut by us failed and I had to use the same technique again to rescue my 2 buddies tags who'd died up there. Sadly the circle was too small by then and of course it ended up right on the platform again - so I had no choice but to try and take the team out single-handedly. I went up the zipline and immediately got shotgunned in the back! I wish we'd had a Pathfinder then to make a zipline above them, or maybe Bangalore to put down smoke to cover our entrance. Moral of the story - take the high ground in the Thunder Dome first!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

That you don't need huge marketing campaigns to sell a good game. That a game can (hopefully) be successful with an upfront microtransaction model with no pay to win elements. To have faith in your developers instead of interfering (BFV I'm looking at you).

The alternative lessons they might have learnt are:

Using paid influencers and streamers to hype your multiplayer online games is a very good and pretty cheap marketing tool. F2P might be a good idea (though this depends on how lucrative the monetisation is, but if they can copy Epic, should be good) and might be a superior route to market than traditional retail for online multiplayer games as active userbase is very important for service games.

Given some of the early comments in this thread, I'll assume those posters are now eating stacks of crow over their opinions about EA's marketing decisions ;)

They delayed Battlefield V as it wasn't ready. This delay, coupled with the choice to concentrate on a offline single player campaign instead of spending the time and effort to get the BR mode out are the reasons they feel that game underperformed.

With the likely long term success of this game, Titanfall 3 has most likely been backburnered for a very long time, much like Epic have backburnered the original Fortnite.

I suppose the other thing I want EA to do is look at how solid, bug free and polished Apex is and see the consumer reaction to that at launch. Again comparing to stuff like BFV.

I agree with all your points, whether it was EA or Respawn that pushed the secrecy/no marketing idea it worked brilliantly. And paying top streamers to play the game was a great move. Of course because Respawn already had a lot of them playtesting the game it was even easier to get them on board, and critically Apex is great anyway so the hype and enthusiasm didn't need to be faked. EA made a clusterf**k of BV5's marketing so presumably it was different PR decision makers managing this title.

Although I do appreciate the direction they took with the microtransactions and crafting in this game, its still very cynical when you look at the numbers. Some of the skins cost 15-20 dollars if you buy with premium currency, and loot boxes are inherinantly dubious. Someone did the maths and the percentage chance of you getting a particular skin from a loot box given the loot box rarities and number of items is tiny. Still, at least its less cynical than most F2P games with all percentages and costs listed for the boxes and storefront, and you can craft stuff too (although crafting resources needed for rare/legendary is insane). 

Interested to see what they do with their Battle Pass. Hopefully its as transparent and cheap. I really don't mind them charging for new Legends if they wanted to (happy if they keep them grindable though). Dead By Daylight continues to fund development through selling new playable survivors and killers, which are a few quid each. I don't mind this approach in an F2P game as long as the premium characters aren't straight up better than the base ones.

Found a phat fully-kitted weapon yesterday rather late in the game. We ended up as Champions shortly after and all I can could do was shoot in the air with it. Felt bad man.

21 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Backburnered?

It was apparently well into development at one point and planned to release in 2018, but is now officially MIA. This is like what happened to Blizzard's Titan, the next MMO they spent years working on and then scrapped, with Overwatch being a game which they salvaged from some of the bits of that project.

9 minutes ago, Dave White said:

The ping system is unerversally magnificent. Won before with 2 french chaps who spoke as much English as I do french. 

Un glacé au chocolat, le banque

If I could be bothered I'd love to do an analysis of the user interface, as it's just so good compared to something like Battlefield. Respawn really know what's important when it comes to the front end and the UI. Crucially, it's fast. There are no transitions or animations as you move between screens unless it's adds value, and it's always performant. Modern Warfare 1 and 2 were the same. Stripped back to only what's helpful, and designed to get you to the action ASAP.

There's brilliant use of colour and voice feedback throughout. It uses the 'console cursor' navigation method really well unlike, say, Assassins' Creed.

It cuts out as many steps as possible when you're looting and managing your inventory, making great use of default actions when you're picking things up. You can see when you look at an item whether it's of use in your loadout. If it is, it'll go where you want it. If it's not, it may not even let you pick it up, and tells you why.

I think they should add on-screen text descriptions for the ping radial menu. Currently they only appear on hover and the icons aren't recognisable enough so I end up cycling round to find the comms I want.

Oh, and some weapon stats and descriptions wouldn't go amiss. It'd give the player something to pore over during matchmaking. Also, this isn't arena shooter where you're constantly in the action. There's very little chance to practice using the guns, so some idea of their strengths, weaknesses and other essential stats are notable by their absence.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Is there not a way to do the training part at the start of the game again where you had access to all the guns?

Yes you’re right. I might have a go of that!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

I wanted to ping saying I needed health yesterday but nothing seemed to do it - what I am missing?

If you try to use a health pack you don't have, you're character will ask for one.

Edit- beaten, twice

• Upvote 2