Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

18 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I wish this had a solo mode so I wasn’t letting my team down while I try to remember the controls and set off the wrong ability. :lol: 

100% my feelings after playing for the first time this evening, with @VN1X and @Pubbehey who were both so fast at everything, I couldn't catch my breath!

• Upvote 1

Regarding gold items, there’s a couple of amazing scopes.  I had one sniper scope which in addition to having a phenomenal zoom, digitally lights up any enemies in the sights by making their silhouette red.  It was very OP :)  Of course Bloodhounds Ultimate does similar!

55 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Thanks for the games @Strategos but apologies for the hectic comms at the end there! Me and Pubbe like to pretend we're in esports sometimes. :lol:

Also first game just now as Wraith: 5 kills and managed to close it out with a win! R99 hipfire kills everything. 

Yup good games, you put me to shame!

Impressive stuff. 

I guess it helps your revive stats ;)

• Upvote 1

Heeey got a nice win tonight. A guy on our team got himself a sniper rifle and said "any scopes?" Just that second I called down a care package which had a threat 10x scope on it. A match made in heaven. He did most of the work while I lobbed grenades everywhere, but I did get the final kill. Nice! Ignore the bit where I got confused and started shooting my downed teammate for a second...

8 hours ago, grindmouse said:

This is a approximately 1000000x times better than Blackout.

Although superficially similar, they play very differently. I like both a lot. 

Blackout (especially solos) feels like a survival game, with large open spaces and short ttk. As the circle gets smaller, it’s as much about positioning and cover as it is about shooting. Sound is very important and if you give away your position carelessly you’ll die very quickly. While I can see how it’s not for everyone, I like the tenseness that this brings. 

In comparison, AP feels less like an open world and more like a  large multiplayer map. The ping system is amazing and makes playing with randoms better than any other game I’ve ever played. The res system is genius too, encouraging dead players to hang around and providing a great risk/reward mechanic. The pace is quicker, there’s much less hiding, and on average there’s a much shorter distance to travel to the circle. As a result, I don’t quite get the same “survival” buzz. 

• Upvote 2

The biggest tip I can give anyone is to go back into the tutorial zone and fire all the weapons for ages. Learn the spreads of the shotguns especially, you'll be very surprised at the effective range and spread patterns.

9 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I wish this had a solo mode so I wasn’t letting my team down while I try to remember the controls and set off the wrong ability. :lol: 

Likewise. This may sound completely ridiculous to well-rounded people, but I do get exceptionally anxious in team based games at the start when I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.  A solo mode at least gives me a chance to for some private embarrassment before I look like a total idiot in front of a crowd.

As such, the lack of solo is putting me off trying this. 'Oh no!', Respawn exclaim as the player count rockets upwards.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
21 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Likewise. This may sound completely ridiculous to well-rounded people, but I do get exceptionally anxious in team based games at the start when I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.  A solo mode at least gives me a chance to for some private embarrassment before I look like a total idiot in front of a crowd.

I look at it this way. If your teammates haven't enough empathy to accept that everyone is new once and start raging then I count that as a win.

I had a match. There was just me and another guy. He was taking the lead and talking over the mic. He said "They're up and to the left" I looked at the map. Guessed where he meant and chucked a grenade in that direction "NOOOOO. NOT YET" he screamed. It was something like my fourth game on the second day the game was live. If he gets that upset so early on then fuck his blood pressure frankly :)

Everyone has to learn. Use your learning time to have fun and the best fun is making the fuckwits explode with rage. The game is surprisingly good for teamplay. My very first game all of us were pinging stuff left and right to be helpful. I've also found if you're in a team that seems a bit aimless start choosing directions for them. If there's no alpha nerd then it's a game that makes it super easy to step into the role. And if it all goes to pot you'll never see the useless fuckers again so who cares :)

• Upvote 8

Plus at the start of each round you can choose to break off from the team anyway - you don’t have to jump together.  And you can disable voice comms.  When I’ve played as part of a 2 in party chat our “random” sometimes does their own thing.  Doesn’t really matter to us.  A lot of them follow the majority though and if they’re only hoovering up loot and running with us there’s little to do wrong.  I guess the only thing is maybe, don’t shoot first if you’re not sure as above :) 

Even if you get assigned as JumpMaster you can relinquish it immediately.

• Upvote 2

Finally got some games last night after the debacle.of the first game I had where I died in the first thirty seconds of dropping because I saw a guy and my brain instantly went into Titanfall mode and thought "Oh it's just a Marvin", completely forgetting that there are none that are not played controlled in the game and promptly got shot.

The other games went well, played Lifeline who is quite cool, did a funky flanking maneuver on a guy who wasn't paying attention and completely failed to kill someone because I have no idea which guns are good to take. Would play again.

Also, every time I'm the jumpmaster I pass it off because fuck that responsibility.

• Upvote 1

Jaysus last night was terrible. Hot spot drops, randos cowering behind crates during me bleeding and "badge pick up"timer, randos running towards the barrier with 30 seconds on the clock, more hot spot drops.

I spent more time on the character select screen than actually playing.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

I love this and no denying its best in class on so many levels, but I can't help but feel something is slightly off on the gunplay. Losing 1 on 1's with no visible damage indicator or what armour people are wearing, this needs addressing,  and many a time iv'e been killed when iv'e been pummelling the opponent with decent hits. It seems quite unjust and frustrating sometimes and I can't get a grip on it.

Encounters over distance don't feel as crisp as blackout to me. Im sure they'll balance it all.

• Upvote 6
4 minutes ago, Dave White said:

I love this and no denying its best in class on so many levels, but I can't help but feel something is slightly off on the gunplay. Losing 1 on 1's with no visible damage indicator or what armour people are wearing, this needs addressing,  and many a time iv'e been killed when iv'e been pummelling the opponent with decent hits. It seems quite unjust and frustrating sometimes and I can't get a grip on it.

Encounters over distance don't feel as crisp as blackout to me. Im sure they'll balance it all.

I feel the same with the gunplay, but then playing with VN1X and Pub and they are murderising everything in sight with pinpoint accuracy.  

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Dave White said:

I love this and no denying its best in class on so many levels, but I can't help but feel something is slightly off on the gunplay. Losing 1 on 1's with no visible damage indicator or what armour people are wearing, this needs addressing, 

If it flashes purple, they are wearing purple armour etc. White means level 1 armour, red flash means no armour and orange is a headshot.

Attachments really help too guys, I find the acog sites to be much better than the holo's but barrels and stocks really help too. I've played a lot and I'm starting to get to grips with the guns now though I'm no good with the snipers. I prefer the smg's and ar's and the wingman pistol.