Mr Tony

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

:)   If you think most standard journalism is any of the above for the most part you're very naive.  

Edit: Actually that's probably a bit harsh.  I think I'd rather have it fairly obvious when it's being shilled than this assumption that all game journalists are all impartial and honest with their reviews when they're getting free copy and flown out too (although I get that companies are leaning more towards these influencers theses days)

The defence that ‘legitimate journalism is rare, so paid advertisements that sidestep all the rules out in place to protect consumers (especially children) is fine’ is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

Fair enough. But what if they are obviously paid to spout positivity? If you see and hear Doc who is clearly advertising this game mention positive things about Apex Legends, is your first reaction to believe him?

3 hours ago, K said:

In an ideal world, an F2P battle royale game isn’t what I would have preferred Respawn to do after Titanfall 2

I'm convinced that we will see TF3 announced by / at E3 for an end of year release this year.

9 minutes ago, df0 said:

Fair enough. But what if they are obviously paid to spout positivity? If you see and hear Doc who is clearly advertising this game mention positive things about Apex Legends, is your first reaction to believe him?

Of course not. As with everything, if possible, I'll judge it until I've played it myself. However when we're 3 months down the line and someone like Shroud really likes it but some guy from Eurogamer doesn't then I'll be more inclined to trust Shroud's opinion. That said these top streamers do have a habit of playing (and pretending to enjoy?) some absolute trash sometimes, whether that be for views or sponsorship deals, so obviously I'm not going to blindly following Dr. Disrespect just because he has a moustache and happens to like a game I do as well. :P

1 minute ago, Mr Tony said:

I'm convinced that we will see TF3 announced by / at E3 for an end of year release this year.

I dunno. Are Respawn big enough to work on a battle royale game, a Star Wars game, *and* Titanfall 3? Three top-tier games on the go simultaneously sounds like a bit of a stretch. 

^How long would an engine swap take? If the rumours are true about it looking a bit too dated for this day and age I imagine they'd have to spruce up the assets and effects a lot as well. 

12 minutes ago, df0 said:

I reckon to a degree, all these big streamers have a brand they want to protect so I'd imagine if people like Shroud, who has a background in competitive esports , would have had time to evaluate what they would be promoting -  before they signed the deal;  to check the product/service is good.

Mind you, Doc played PUBG for years and constantly called them on their shoddy code. Obviously you need to play it yourself, it is free to play, so no harm no foul really. I'm inclined to believe it's good if big name streamers are attached tbh.

13 minutes ago, K said:

I dunno. Are Respawn big enough to work on a battle royale game, a Star Wars game, *and* Titanfall 3? Three top-tier games on the go simultaneously sounds like a bit of a stretch. 

I'm sure EA confirmed it was in development in 2017.

2 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

I'm sure EA confirmed it was in development in 2017.

I'm sure it was, but I'm not sure that means it'll be coming out this year, or even whether it's still in development now. Making a battle royale game can't be easy or cheap, and supporting the game for the next year will be a strain on their resources too. It wouldn't surprise me if Titanfall 3 morphed into this project, or if it had been quietly de-prioritised to work on this. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

I wish we would. But given this announcment extremely unlikley. It seems clear where EA want to take the franchise given the poor performance of TF2

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

^How long would an engine swap take? If the rumours are true about it looking a bit too dated for this day and age I imagine they'd have to spruce up the assets and effects a lot as well. 

TF2 runs on source engine and hardly looks dated. I wonder if they did/ever needed to.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

TF2 runs on source engine and hardly looks dated. I wonder if they did/ever needed to.

Oh I agree, I'm just the messenger.

This reveal timing just shows how parochial the games industry still is really, a local game for local people promoted by local people timed to launch around the time of a popular cultural event only the locals give a fuck about.

Kotaku's report has some info about the state of Titanfall 3, seems this might be the remnants of the game that should have launched last year. As Infinity Ward Respawn are absolute machines when it comes to churning out FPS games, it's entirely believable they would have been able to crank out another sequel within 2 years on the same engine, which does likely mean they've moved Titanfall 3 to a new more advanced engine (Frostbite most likely) to keep up with the competition and need for fancier graphics:

A new Titanfall spinoff is in the works, and it’ll be out sooner than anyone could possibly guess. In fact, internet rumors (and word from our own sources) suggests that it’ll be out this Monday.

The game isn’t officially announced just yet, but word leaked out this morning thanks to esports journalist Rod Breslau. As Breslau reported today, it’s called Apex Legends and will be out on Monday for PC, Xbox, and PS4. It’s a free-to-play battle royale that, interestingly, won’t let you use the Titan mech suits that make Titanfall so iconic. You’ll have supernatural MOBA-like hero abilities and play either solo or in a team of three as you battle other players for delicious chicken dinners.

We’ve heard all of those same details. A tipster sent me some info about Apex Legends early last month—“It plays like Titanfall mixed with Overwatch and Blackout from Call of Duty: Black Ops 4,” they told me at the time—and from what we’ve heard, publisher EA held an event for streamers and YouTubers this week to show off the game, which is likely how the news leaked.

Here’s another interesting tidbit: As I was reporting on EA’s purchase of Titanfall developer Respawn in the fall of 2017—a move that was forced by a Nexon bid for the studio and may have been directly connected to the closure of Visceral—I heard from a Respawn source that Titanfall 3 was well into development and that the studio had been looking to release it by the end of 2018. The rationale, that source said, was that the game’s underlying technology was starting to feel dated and that Titanfall 3 might not feel or look as good if it came out too much later. (Like the previous two Titanfall games, Titanfall 3 used a modified version of Valve’s Source engine.)

Perhaps the studio decided to switch engines for Titanfall 3, releasing Apex Legends (which is also reportedly on Source) as a stopgap as it pushed back the release of a proper third Titanfall game. Or perhaps the work Respawn had done for Titanfall 3 wound up evolving into this spinoff game. No matter what, the third Titanfall appears to be way down the road.

Expect Apex Legends to be announced very soon, perhaps tomorrow at the Super Bowl or on Monday as a not-so-much-of-a-surprise reveal. This will be the first of two games Respawn has planned for this year, in addition to Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, which is slated to come out in the fall.

https://kotaku.com/a-free-to-play-titanfall-battle-royale-game-will-be-out-1832291956

• Upvote 1