Mr Tony

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It's nicer than saying paid shills.

As much as I detest most of these youtubers it's not THAT different from flying out some journalists to write some reviews or record themselves playing it. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

As much as I detest most of these youtubers it's not THAT different from flying out some journalists to write some reviews or record themselves playing it. 

Except any pretence on impartiality or honesty or integrity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Yes. Does it make a difference to if the game is going to be good or not though?

Don't know.

In case you're wondering, it was a genuine question. I do not know who those people are, but I can now understand why they are chosen for social media marketing purposes.

4 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

It absolutely is different.

EA are paying them to promote the game. In ye olde days they used to pretend that they loved [NEW PRODUCT] and had no ties with whoever was making it. At least now due to changes in the rules they have to declare when they're advertising for cash on behalf of corporations.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Except any pretence on impartiality or honesty or integrity.

:)   If you think most standard journalism is any of the above for the most part you're very naive.  

Edit: Actually that's probably a bit harsh.  I think I'd rather have it fairly obvious when it's being shilled than this assumption that all game journalists are all impartial and honest with their reviews when they're getting free copy and flown out too (although I get that companies are leaning more towards these influencers theses days)

• Downvote 1

I like how of the three tweets on the previous page, only one has the #ad tag included.

It's interesting. Like were they actually paid to go there, or did EA just comp their travel? A few traditional media were on the trip too apparently, and they won't have been outright paid to be there. Video does sound like a very different world, though, I've heard some absolute horror stories over the years.

• Upvote 1

I get the impression from various stories from Giant Bomb that (in the US at least) the big publishers consider journalists to be down the totem pole from xXx~G0kuSnipeZ420~xXx now. They talked about going to an event where a publishers had set up a lavish red carpet with models and whatnot. When they presented their credentials they were told that was for streamers only and quickly ushered around to a door in an alley round back.

I reckon they had to be paid to go there, as it would have meant missing a day on the lucrative stream schedule & donations/subs,  plus multi million dollar deals etc. burning up the Doc's flip phone.

7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I get the impression from various stories from Giant Bomb that (in the US at least) the big publishers consider journalists to be down the totem pole from xXx~G0kuSnipeZ420~xXx now. They talked about going to an event where a publishers had set up a lavish red carpet with models and whatnot. When they presented their credentials they were told that was for streamers only and quickly ushered around to a door in an alley round back.

Oh that's absolutely the case, yes, and I get it. Marketing's a numbers game, and these guys are where the numbers are at the moment. It does make for some pretty weird events. The Destiny 2 announcement event in LA had a red carpet at the entrance, and those backing boards with game and developer logos plastered all over them. To most of us, it was the thing you walked along to get to the videogame you were here to play. But every time I passed it there were some bods standing in front of it, all dressed up, doing 'gram stories or vlogs or whatever, talking about how awesome the whole thing was. 

1 hour ago, koefoed said:

Titanfall = :wub:

Battle Royal = :angry:

Why does everything from Planetside to Battlefield to Titanfall have to be turned into a bloody BR game. I find BR utterly boring. :(

I think it’s because you’re in the minority and given the biggest game in the world is a BR and it’s where all the money is.....

I think the BR genre is just getting started and already there's already a great deal of gameplay difference in terems of speed and content between the big three. Be interested to see if they manage to take it in new directions. Reckon there will be some kind of defence/build approach in this as there has been references to R6S.

I'm kind of conflicted on this, I'd like it to do well to give Respawn some well deserved coffers and to raise awareness in the Titanfall brand so T3 is the big success it has always deserved to be.

On the other hand if it's too popular then you've got another Epic games situation where Titanfall will be left to rot as everyone is working on skins and other bullshit instead.

@macosx

I dunno, it's not really my thing, but I don't imagine the genre is going to evolve much. Battle royale games remind me a bit of MOBAs in that they tend to stick religiously to the template. I don't see the current crop as being the building blocks of something much grander and stranger; I would imagine that that current template will be hugely popular until something completely different comes out of nowhere and takes over.

That said, in terms of popularity, the genre is basically PUBG and Fortnite and a few others clinging to the bumper of the bandwagon with their faces being scraped along the tarmac, and PUBG and Fortnite are very different once you get past the standard features of a BR game. But any differences are within the bounds of that template, rather than changing the template itself.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

If anything I actually prefer they fly out streamers, who play these games for a living non-stop, to give their impressions rather than journalists who, these days, sound like my dad when covering games (ie: haven't a clue what they're on about). 

• Upvote 2

Some amazing hot takes in the thread over at the other place btw; saying that the game looks shit based on one blurry screenshot. I swear if even one of you dares criticise the visuals then I will file an official ban request. You're mental! :)

Honestly we need more competitive multiplayer games that look like TiFa 1&2: A strong emphasis on clear visibility and hardly any clutter that shits up the screen! I'll take simplified visuals over crazily detailed ones any day of the week if that means I can actually see other players lol. 

1 minute ago, VN1X said:

Some amazing hot takes in the thread over at the other place btw; saying that the game looks shit based on one blurry screenshot. I swear if even one of you dares criticise the visuals then I will file an official ban request. You're mental! :)

Don't we know nothing offical apart from the name and it's in the Titanfall universe at this point? They haven't even confirmed the lack of titans yet have they (Although I believe that one. I don't think they fit in a BR game).

Do we know if it is always in a team of 3 or will it have solo play too?

As much as I love squad play, playing with randoms always sucks and getting a squad takes effort. Part of the reason I like BR games, is that I can load it up, and quickly be in a solo match if I want to.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Flub said:

Don't we know nothing offical apart from the name and it's in the Titanfall universe at this point? They haven't even confirmed the lack of titans yet have they (Although I believe that one. I don't think they fit in a BR game).

There was a leaked screenshot apparently that confirms it looks just like the first two games. *shocking!*

I mean it's running on the same modified Source engine from their previous title... what do people expect? We already know what it's going to look like! I'm more interested in how it will play. 

1 hour ago, macosx said:

I think the BR genre is just getting started and already there's already a great deal of gameplay difference in terems of speed and content between the big three. Be interested to see if they manage to take it in new directions. Reckon there will be some kind of defence/build approach in this as there has been references to R6S.

Completely agree.  We're barely even scratched the surface over what the genre could be. 

Blackout is experimenting with modes where you dead players of a squad respawn if a single surviving squad member gets into a safe zone.  PUBG allows 10 man team custom games, which again dramatically changes the feel of a battle royale.  There are a lot of ways which this genre can grow and still be defined in the Battle Royale genre.