Mr Tony

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

5 minutes ago, max renn said:

Is there any way on PS4 to see recent players? Sick of finding people who play the game well and not be able to send them a friends request so we can team up.

I haven't found a way either so if anyone discovers how let me know. I think the best way is to just keep the endgame score screen open before you quit the match, and send a friend request via PSN whilst you've got their name on screen for reference. Because how else are you going to remember where all the 0,xX_, and random number strings in people's names. I played with a guy yesterday who was called something like ahmedIwa568021984 and that's not so usual these days!

I haven't played as Caustic but I really enjoy playing as Mirage. Caustic by his nature supports a more defensive style, or indoor offensive style. Which is fine but the reality is a lot of combat is played out in the open. Mirage is way more flexible because a distraction works in any situation and the ability to get the hell out of a bad situation with your ultimate is invaluable.

If you're fine with Caustics playstyle he can be good though. Last night my team was in one of those cliff corridors with the respawn beacon inside. The enemy team came up behind us but whilst we were fighting them, their Caustic used his ultimate: covering part of the corridor in gas. At the same time their Bangalore called in an airstrike so those of trapped in the gas couldn't escape it - and the only direction that wasn't covered in gas was exploding!

In another match we spotted an enemy team in a building and decided to assault them. My teammate went upstairs where they were, triggered a gas mine and suddenly there was gas bloody everywhere. And when my teammate went down, I couldn't go in for a recovery because of the gas. They trapped the doors and were able to loot the corpse because we had no way to get inside. In another game it was down to us vs the last 2 squads. Again one squad had holed up in a building and we ziplined to them whilst they were fighting the other squad, hoping to catch them by surprise. But the surprise was on us when we triggered gas mines inside and all around the building, I only survived as there was one tiny corner of the room the gas hadn't reached. It can really swing a fight if it catches you by surprise.

I decided to broaden my horizons and play Gibraltar all last night. I really don't like him. His shield obstructs your vision when you ADS. His fat arms take up too much of the screen when you're moving. He's big and fat and easy to hit. His ultimate takes bloody ages to charge up. His running animation feels slow (even though you move at the same speed as other characters). Your shield makes it easier for enemies to spot you when you're scoping around for targets. Dome bubble can be useful in some situations (like rezzing teammates or surviving airstrikes), but compared to the other Legends it's not as useful. He just doesn't do it for me. I'd love to hear your counterarguments for why he's any good. 

I was wondering, considering the Legends have different sized bodies/hitboxes - do they all have the same health? Like it's way easier to hit Bloodhound, Gibraltar and Caustic cos they're big tanky guys.

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Oh man, I felt so bad for him having to carry our arses. What with me running across open terrain with 2 other squads left and making all sorts of poor decisions. It's much more fun than with randoms, which is an obvious thing to say but there we go.

Randoms haven't been too bad. I've not found anyone wandering off like I did last night when I found myself on the other side of a hill from the two of you and being chased by the wall of death! :facepalm: I somehow made it back to you in time.

29 minutes ago, max renn said:

Is there any way on PS4 to see recent players? Sick of finding people who play the game well and not be able to send them a friends request so we can team up.

There is a Players Met in the Friends section of the dashboard but I find it's limited and maybe the game has to support it in some way. I have entries for randoms I met in a squad in BFV but not the ones I met in Apex Legends.

Edited by Dalvado

15 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I wish I wasn't so bad at this game. It's great but I am awful. 

Same here and my son finds it hysterical when he watches me play. He has picked it up straight away but he has been playing Fortnite 24/7 for the last year which I am sure helped.

• Upvote 1

I got carried to second place there. Incredibly exciting that. I got no kills somehow (but created a few paths with ziplines for my teammates at least).

Watched a few videos that talk about the map design which I think has been overlooked by many people. One review pointed out that a lot of the areas are like bowls with slopes or high ground which make entering them much safer than other battle royales. So entering new zones when moving in from the circle means you can slide in quickly, or have an advantageous position from a high position, rather than being stuck running across open fields.

From my experience this holds true in most circumstances, it's rare that (unlike Fortnite for example) you end up in a slaughtering ground entering a new area with teams camping the entrances. The exception to this is the desert and the bowl leading into the river, which can both be quite a pain if you're stuck out in the open. But then you have the hero abilities to help, plus sniping is very hard at long ranges in this game.

Dr Disrespect (popular Twitch streamer) used to be a level designer on COD and he says the maps designers have made really good use of choke points and dead space to control the map. It's like the map is split into these distinct areas with their own entrances and chokes which makes the flow much better than more open maps like PUGB, BlackOps 4 and Fortnite. 

Now I know the main areas in the map I have to agree they're all well designed and feel distinct from each other, both visually and in level design. Some of the areas are particularly memorable like the Hangars, Armoury, the Pit, the Thunder Dome and The Relay Station. I'm less hot on the desert and the shanty towns that lie along the river. The river is the least interesting bit for me (aside from those cool towers that overlook them) and unfortunately the river runs through the centre of the map so you spend a lot of time there. I'd like them to rework one of the river towns into something else. 

Where the last circles can end up make for really interesting scenarios. One game yesterday the circle closed in on the Thunder Dome (the desert arena) and we had taken the high platform there, which you can only reach via zipline. To our amazement each circle narrowed until it was sitting directly on top of us, and the poor team below had no choice but to assault us via zipline themselves whilst we rained gunfire and grenades on them. Another one a team was trapped in a building at the hangars but we had control of the huge wall surrounding it. Thus ensued a funny exchange where they'd open the big door facing me and I'd reply with a hail of gunfire - then they'd just close it again. I even managed to chuck a grenade in during the 1 second window they opened it and hurt them. What I learned from these endgames is that Pathfinder's zipline is amazing for the last few circles as it lets you take high ground before other teams, or you can use it to quickly outrun the closing circle and get somewhere annoying, like on the roof of the building the enemy team is camping. Pathfinder is really underrated in this game. 

• Upvote 6

I've played this a few times now and really have been enjoying it. Do the maps ever change on these battle royale games or is this it now for the life of the game?

Anyway's will go through and add a few people for tonight and see if I can join a few of you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Luseth said:

I've played this a few times now and really have been enjoying it. Do the maps ever change on these battle royale games or is this it now for the life of the game?

Anyway's will go through and add a few people for tonight and see if I can join a few of you.

PUBG has 3 or 4 maps now. Fortnite just has the one but it evolves each season. Devs have confirmed there will be more maps coming soon!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Ill be on tonight if u wanna squad up.

@sjvinnie keeps wanting to join but im always in a three so maybe hes about tonight too.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, spork said:

PUBG has 3 or 4 maps now. Fortnite just has the one but it evolves each season. Devs have confirmed there will be more maps coming soon!

Thanks. I briefly tried Fortnite but it was never for me. I'm enjoying this though.

9 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Ill be on tonight if u wanna squad up.

@sjvinnie keeps wanting to join but im always in a three so maybe hes about tonight too.

I've played with Vin a few times :) That said you ditched us on fifa the other night to play this without us so maybe we'll go elsewhere.... jokes :)

Just drop me an invite when your about :)

35 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

One game yesterday the circle closed in on the Thunder Dome (the desert arena) and we had taken the high platform there, which you can only reach via zipline. To our amazement each circle narrowed until it was sitting directly on top of us, and the poor team below had no choice but to assault us via zipline themselves whilst we rained gunfire and grenades on them.

I had this over the weekend, and amazingly the other team managed to make it all the way over to us, zipline up and wipe us out :doh:

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Where the last circles can end up make for really interesting scenarios. One game yesterday the circle closed in on the Thunder Dome (the desert arena) and we had taken the high platform there, which you can only reach via zipline. To our amazement each circle narrowed until it was sitting directly on top of us, and the poor team below had no choice but to assault us via zipline themselves whilst we rained gunfire and grenades on them. 

That was the game with me and @mackenie,was a great win with a bit of luck:lol:

Second game in and I've killed someone! Got through to the last 9 out of 20 and played for about 8 minutes instead of the 2 from my first attempt.

I don't have time to get stuck into this at the minute, having one game per day could mean it takes me a while to be competent.

Just had a second place finish but, perhaps more significantly for me, it was also a game where I didn't feel like the dude the other two were rolling their eyes at. Couple of kills, a revive and I brought them both back at a respawn beacon about three minutes in.  I felt like the hardest boy in school.

Of course, normal service was resumed as I completely lost my cool and contributed the square root of fuck all when we were in the final battle. Fun though! 

• Upvote 4

Just had a match where we were caught out in a battle and sprinting to get in the circle and the Supply Ship was hanging over the area of the river we entered, with a huge battle going on.

We hid behind a rock in the cave mouth of the valley wall to hide from the snipers, but literally three full squads ran in to the circle from the caves where we had no cover. I went down at the second one, but our teammate killed them all in just the most impressive display where he was braving sniper fire from one side running around this rock to break line of sight for the other, it was amazing, especially as he was having to platform over all these deathboxes to chase after people by the end.

• Upvote 1

Played with some really good geezer earlier.

he died so I ran over and revived him. I died and then watched him carefully  stealth it to my body to pick up a card and then respawn me and the other guy. Then we died when we respawned because the enemy could see the ship come in and once again the dude stealthed it to my body to pick up a card. He died so I got his card but unfortunately got rushed by the ring closing and ended up in the middle of a hostile group.

i sent him a message to say how awesome he had been.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, VN1X said:

Game didn't match us with a random but we got the win anyway. :)

XIc0asd.jpg

Seems like you have to thank your teammate for that,. He revived you twice?

• Empathy 1

Sorry I didn't come on last night @Theholyhogg

I went on about half 7 to have a few games and won my first game straight away so thought I would stop playing for the night and leave it on a high :lol: 1 out of 1

That said I matched with 2 randoms on mic. 1 of whom told us he mostly played fornite. He died really quickly and we picked up his banner, then he left.... I'm guessing he didn't realise we could revive him?

The other guy though was great, he died not long after but he stuck around giving me advice and that and somehow I managed to win it on my own with his vocal support :D

Got to a point where the circle closed in and the gunfire was coming from the other side of the mountains, circle closed in to the point where they had to come to me in a small pass. The first guy came round the corner and I shot at him, destroyed his shield and he ran away (don't know if they thought they could get round the mountain the other side before the circle closed) but it was too late.

Next thing you know the circle's closed and I haven't won, I thought oh crap did they make it round so turned around and started running to the other side of the circle expecting to be ambushed. A few seconds later 'Player's name eliminated' popped up on the screen and I won! Made me smile after a tough day lol

Won't be on it again till Thursday now :(

• Upvote 2

Got another win last, look at the state of this, I did a decent flank and then proceeded to miss half my shots and then I dropped Bangalore’s air strike on my feet as I thought pressing L1+R1 would put a grenade in my hand but somehow it worked out and we won. This game is crazy, good games with @McSpeed, @Dave White and @RickyDVT yesterday too, feel free to add or invite if you want to play. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, papalazarou said:

out of caustic or mirage who is the better one to unlock first?

Really depends on your playstyle.  Caustic is more defensive, you can place gas canisters to catch the enemy out and visualise them whereas Mirage’s abilities are more about active engagement and getting out of right spots.

Caustic is a creepy miserable bastard though and Mirage is fun and cheerful.  I much prefer Mirage’s voice lines, but Caustic’s playstyle suits me more for now !

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Superb play @Minion think that whole cool under pressure is the key with this. @McSpeed recovery of both of us yesterday was the height of that. 

Thanks! I thought it was rather messy myself but just love the chaos in this game. Yes @McSpeed is indeed a cool cat! He rescued me in a game and then proceeded to get us to the last squad who unfortunately were waiting for us in an ambush in the final circle

7 hours ago, Nequests said:

This is pure evil.

So much savagery!

Had a drop onto the supply ship go horribly wrong last night. Dropped in missed all the loot so had to bail due to 4 squads of heavily armed bad guys, landed in the village below where it started raining tough guys on top of us.

Whole game lasted 45 secs:P

• Upvote 1

So apparently you can find gold weapons in the hot zones, these basically come with all the purple attachments applied but you can’t remove them.