Mr Tony

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment - Available Now!

32 minutes ago, spork said:

I'm in the being crap at this club but there is almost nothing better than when you die and get eliminated and you watch through your random team mates perspective while he kills the entire enemy squad to collect your tag and then kills another 1 or 2 enemies on the way to the revive beacon thing. 

That crazy twitch dance some of them seem to do constantly even while checking their inventory gets me everytime! 

You mean ADAD? 

I found out yesterday that if you're sprinting and you open your inventory you'll carry on sprinting. Nice touch.

25 minutes ago, Pob said:

I found out yesterday that if you're sprinting and you open your inventory you'll carry on sprinting. Nice touch.

I use that to ask for attachments and ammo after you move on from your landing zone.

Found out last night the Spitfire is indeed a beast once it's upgraded, highly recommended if you've got the ammo for it. Also unlocked Caustic (level 43 to unlock the second Legend btw) and yeah he's pretty rubbish except in certain situations. His ultimate does charge fast though to make up for his barrel's limited use. He's quite comical in his over the top villain character as well.

I imagine those barrels are great in the endgame when you want to barricade yourself in somewhere.

I ended up with a fully upgraded PDW (is that what it's called? The burst-fire SMG) last night, with the full-auto mod, and that was pretty sweet. 

Even after so many hours play I have very little feel for the guns, though, as I so rarely get to test them properly! I just pick stuff up based on what people say is good.

The Prowler. Yeah I only fully upgraded it a few times but I remember the recoil was a bitch when its full auto. I'm also still trying to learn the weapons, I tend to stick with comfort picks so trying to expand my horizons. I think its maybe better to stick to a few weapons and just get the hang of them before you move on, like I'm decent with the Peacekeeper now, I got used to its rate of fire and effective range.

I can't believe some people moaned at the lack of weapons in Apex, if you ask me you could even have 2 of each category instead of 3 and it would still be enough.

20 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Many people online say the Peacekeeper with the choke (which lets you charge up shots)

Is this really true? The description of the choke says it reduces spread.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Is this really true? The description of the choke says it reduces spread.

That's what it does. The longer you aim, the more the charge focuses the blast. You can see it happen while aiming, if you stop aiming it'll slowly lose its focus again.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kayin Amoh said:

That's what it does. The longer you aim, the more the charge focuses the blast. You can see it happen while aiming, if you stop aiming it'll slowly lose its focus again.

Oh right! So the spread reduces as you aim, making it more like a railgun? I assumed Alan meant it queued up multiple shells to fire at once.

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

Oh right! So the spread reduces as you aim, making it more like a railgun? I assumed Alan meant it queued up multiple shells to fire at once.

Yep, pretty much the first one, only uses one shell. I think there's three main stages to it, you can actually use it effectively at mid distance during full charge. Hits like a hammer, too.

• Upvote 1

Turns out I was only partially right then. I wish there was more in game info about the attachments when you hover over them in the inventory. For us Battle Royale newbs they can be bewildering. 

Re: @Minion No need to apologise, I wasn't really on my game either. I'm not too bothered about winning as long as I have fun, and I was. Right now I'm trying out new Legends, weapons and tactics and with that means a lot of death! I get why people one trick Legends, but to me half the fun is mastering new abilities and weapons, trying out different approaches, landing spots, how aggressive to be.

Having not played many squad based military shooters its quite the learning experience about when to push, how to flank, how to out think your opponents. Coming from a background of very in your face shooters like Overwatch, Halo and COD, I struggle a bit with overaggression and a feeling of invincibility. All too often I run in for a heroic (stupid) flank or try to take out a team 1 vs 3 but that just won't work if your opponents are on guard. I also never really know when to back off and heal or when I should be pushing to help my team even if I'm on low health. It's easy to question if your teammates go down whilst you were healing up, would that one man extra firepower have made the difference?

Another thing I've had to learn about is 3rd partying  (I.e. when other squads get involved in your fight). It's made me wary of central positions as when you start a fight, chances are another team will start homing in on you from the opposite direction. I've got a lot better at watching my rear/flanks mid fight and its why I think its important to have a Legend like Wraith or Bangalore on your team to buy you an escape route if you get double-teamed.

• Upvote 1

What should I be looking/listening out for when people are close? Can't hear footsteps, and people appear behind me OUTTANOWHERE quite often.

You can hear footsteps, they aren't that loud in the mix but they are there. Saved my ass on more than a few occasions.

There is so much mobility in this game that people can get the jump on you very quickly. I look behind me every now and then just to be sure I'm not being snuck up on. Keep your ears open, turn down party chat volume if you need to. Listen for footsteps, doors opening, ziplines, the sound of people sliding on the ground, reloading weapon sounds, even people dropping from balloons has a unique sound. There's also a subtle sound when people are recharging shields or reviving, I can never hear it but Kerraig has these beast headphones and when I'm with him he can tell when enemies are doing it.

Other things to watch out for are Wraith portals - if there's one around it's possible you're about to get ambushed. Look out for supply drops which often means an enemy called one in. 

At the end of the day you just gotta be looking all around you along with your team. Its quite easy to get tunnel vision in this game but just have a wee pause and do a 360 every so often. Remember that once you open fire, the likelyhood of other teams descending on your position suddenly shoots up. I like to reposition frequently if I'm not in a defensible spot. 

Often the only warning you have that an enemy is close is when you are getting shot. Make sure you have armour and a helmet, and be ready to use abilities at a moments notice. Usually if I'm shot in the back the first thing I do is run/slide, or use an appropriate ability like smoke to escape. By the time you have turned around in these situations you'll often die so I find it better to get to cover if possible before turning to take the fight. And if you can, ping where you got shot from or tell your teammates you're under fire so they can support you asap.

Thanks for the tips. It took a few games to even be able to see other players. Getting better at that now, so hopefully my ears will get more atuned.

As an aside, my son has been hooked on Fortnite for a long time. He thinks this is miles better. It's the only game he's played for more than a few days before going back to Fortnite.

He doesn't want V-bucks anymore, he wnats Apex Dollars or whatever they're called!

Yeah someone yesterday here said their son was well into it with his school mates too. How old are folks' kids here who are playing Apex? I'd be surprised if it steals a lot of youngsters away from Fortnite, but maybe this is exactly the more mature but still fun - and critically, free - version of Fortnite that older kids (10 plus?) will be into. I've definitely had a decent number of kids in my random groups, from places including UK, France, Spain and the Middle East

4 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Yeah someone yesterday here said their son was well into it with his school mates too. How old are folks' kids here who are playing Apex? I'd be surprised if it steals a lot of youngsters away from Fortnite, but maybe this is exactly the more mature but still fun - and critically, free - version of Fortnite that older kids (10 plus?) will be into. I've definitely had a decent number of kids in my random groups, from places including UK, France, Spain and the Middle East

My older son is 12. He seems less interested in Apex that Fortnite still (he loves the building), but all his friends are now playing Apex and nagging him to join in.

My younger son just turned 10, him and all his friends are still playing Fortnite.

• Upvote 1

I think these are the most nades I've ever thrown in a round of Apex lol (followed by some epic Wingman whiffs):