Mr Tony

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment - Available Now!

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

I'll probably never be able to do this again, so sharing it for posterity:

Did you manage to respawn them too? :D

I know Shroud's very good at the games, but christ watching him play this is something else. He just ran into two squads on his own and destroyed the lot like it was nothing. The violence, speed and momentum was just too much. I need a lie down.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sprite said:

Did you manage to respawn them too? :D

Yeah. All three were totally weakened by my teammates and I just finished them off. I was actually playing with no sound and arguing with my wife at the same time!

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I know Shroud's very good at the games, but christ watching him play this is something else. He just ran into two squads on his own and destroyed the lot like it was nothing. The violence, speed and momentum was just too much. I need a lie down.

His aim is fucking ridiculous. If he didn't stream everything and didn't have a reputation for being fucking deadly if you were on the receiving end you'd swear he was aimbotting.

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

His aim is fucking ridiculous. If he didn't stream everything and didn't have a reputation for being fucking deadly if you were on the receiving end you'd swear he was aimbotting.

Not just the aim, but the movement. He entered a room with three players and somehow managed to weave around one, slide behind the other and flank around to a window to bag the last guy before I could even draw breath.

I still think he should stream wearing an actual shroud though.

This game really seems to have found a magic formula to get people to stick together and actually communicate - the fact you know you're going to be up against other groups makes going solo un-viable, the jumpmaster system makes coordination the default and requires effort to break off, the revive and respawn systems make players depend on each other, and the ease of communication tools makes it easy to coordinate.

I've had maybe one game where someone ran off from the group, to be a lone wolf sniper, and I think that's mostly him being new and not realising it doesn't work in this BR game.

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

This game really seems to have found a magic formula to get people to stick together and actually communicate - the fact you know you're going to be up against other groups makes going solo un-viable, the jumpmaster system makes coordination the default and requires effort to break off, the revive and respawn systems make players depend on each other, and the ease of communication tools makes it easy to coordinate.

I've had maybe one game where someone ran off from the group, to be a lone wolf sniper, and I think that's mostly him being new and not realising it doesn't work in this BR game.

Yeah, that's the main achievement I'm seeing so far as well. It's just not really tenable to go it alone so it's always a team game. The ping system is brilliant. I still like the PUBG alternative of very minimal HUD and having to communicate like a real soldier using landmarks, distances and bearings, but at the other end of the scale if you want a really fast, slick futuristic experience, Apex has nailed it.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

watching now, it's back to back to back victories, 12 kills per game.

26 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Except for the three games in a row I had where each time we had different guys go off on their own. Randoms still be random.

33 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Jumping out as a group is amazing, I mean it's great you can still choose to go solo, but why would you.  

Long gone are the days when I would wimp out and leave @SimonC and @drewthmsn to die whilst I hide in a bush.

14 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Do you mean the lack of wall running? That feels really out of place. Can’t figure out why it wouldn’t be in this. 

Because the characters are not pilots. It's set in the Titanfall universe. The story in the first games explained the double jumping and wall running was mostly aided and enabled by the booster packs on pilots backs.

31 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Because the characters are not pilots. It's set in the Titanfall universe. The story in the first games explained the double jumping and wall running was mostly aided and enabled by the booster packs on pilots backs.

Yeah, I get that but it’s clearly more a gameplay reason rather than a lore reason, as others have mentioned. 

I didnt play much of this but am wondering what the point of using Titanfall for it is if there’s no Titans and none of the movement from those games. Seems bizarre.

I don’t quite get what the appeal is but I didn’t get a chance to use the powers. They didn’t feel very immediate and having to drop them in before use seems odd. 

12 hours ago, stefcha said:

Eventually joined my first game, we flew down, landed, I got murdered before I'd opened the first box I ran to. Got revived, then instantly dead again. Then I think I got totally killed. Then we all did. What a welcoming start to ease me in, I didn't even get a chance to be shit at it. 

Second game we landed in a remoter place. I looked in a house for a weapon and couldn't find a bloody thing, same in another. Then soon after heard others about with guns and realised I was a bit fucked and closed a door wondering what to do as my teammates were slaughtered, before running out fists swinging and getting shot to death. Final game I was in with what sounded like two eastern Europeans or maybe Russians chatting away. Actually picked up some guns! Shot at people! Wandered around a bit, moving inwards until we eventually died. On the stats screen, turns out I'd done 30 damage and they'd done about 350 each, I thought I'd at least killed one of the 5 or 6 players we encountered, but no :hmm:  I don't think I'm cut out for this sort of game. 

12 hours ago, VN1X said:

Yeah I was thinking of that actually. Like... what's the point of their BR now even? 

I had a look at Stormdivers when I'd done. Given how drawn out it's all been in comparison and with even the latest gameplay stuff looking awfully generic and rough even without being compared to something like Apex it's going to die a total death. It looks awful, this sucked me in to at least give it a try but that one I don't think I'd bother with at all. Apex might not be for me but it looks and seems to play and control brilliantly, all of this with it coming (relatively) out of nowhere must be sickening to see for the Housemarque devs.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, I get that but it’s clearly more a gameplay reason rather than a lore reason, as others have mentioned. 

I didnt play much of this but am wondering what the point of using Titanfall for it is if there’s no Titans and none of the movement from those games. Seems bizarre.

I don’t quite get what the appeal is but I didn’t get a chance to use the powers. They didn’t feel very immediate and having to drop them in before use seems odd. 

The shooting is familiar, the weapons are familiar, it basically means this brand new game that launched with no build up beforehand is immediately accessible to anyone who has played Titanfall. :) 

Not all powers drop in before use - the supply ship from the healer lady does.  But others have things like airstrikes or super vision.

1 hour ago, sprite said:

Jumping out as a group is amazing, I mean it's great you can still choose to go solo, but why would you.  

Long gone are the days when I would wimp out and leave @SimonC and @drewthmsn to die whilst I hide in a bush.

I approve of this change in your playstyle ! 

Honestly can't wait to play this more.

@sprite I mean, it’s not exactly rocket science. Anyone who’s played a COD game since 2007 will be familiar with the shooting. 

But I can get why they would use a franchise that’s established if only for marketing reasons. What I meant was that it’s Titanfall without the best bits of Titanfall, though. 

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think what we're seeing now is Respawn accepting that they had to change tact but not wanting to give up on Titanfall entirely. We know there's another Titanfall project to launch later this year, so they're likely trying to build the universe into something that can maintain itself.

I'm quite excited to see what they've got planned in the future.

My big wish for this is a future event where an AI Jack Cooper appears in the game with a smart pistol and murders everyone playing with absolute impunity because he's double jumping and wall running all over the place.

16 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

@sprite I mean, it’s not exactly rocket science. Anyone who’s played a COD game since 2007 will be familiar with the shooting. 

But I can get why they would use a franchise that’s established if only for marketing reasons. What I meant was that it’s Titanfall without the best bits of Titanfall, though. 

I have to disagree with you.  Every game I play "feels" different with regard to the gunplay and it's a frequent point of conversation between us when we are playing different games.  I mentioned that using the same weapons was really appreciated for me, again that's a difficult thing to pick up when starting fresh, knowing what the best gun is.  Or rather, the best gun for your playstyle.  Disclaimer: I haven't been playing every COD since 2007, I only started playing FPS again with Overwatch, but have since played a lot of different ones.

I also like that they have used some previous characters in the story from Titanfall.  And who's to say it's forever going to be "Titanfall without the best bits of Titanfall"? 

I treat it as a spinoff, which is why it doesn't have the name Titan in it.

Some of the locations feel like direct lifts from TF maps.

There was a moment last night with a drop pod coming in through the pine trees where it looked like a marvellous mashup of Halo 1 and TF.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

There is a wall climb though, you hold the jump button when near a wall and you can climb higher than the standard jump

Played my first game last night, and we actually won. It was like my prior experience of BR though - skulk around building picking up stuff for a good 10 minutes before getting into 30 seconds or so of decent action before the game ends. This sort of gameplay just isn't my bag, in those same 10 minutes in a Titanfall 2 match I would have had about 3 HOLY SHIT moments. It's slick, it looks good, it's well made, but oh lord, this genre bores me to tears. Apart from it being free I just don't understand the popularity of BR shooters. To elaborate - I love Titanfall as you have to master the weapons, the movement, the mechs, and most crucially, the map design. Choke points, hot spots, movement opportunities, spawn points etc. In this and other BR games, there's one huge map with little to no choke points outside of the immediate drop or the very end. Fortnite has it's building systems which is an honest differentiator with a genuine skill gap, but what is there to actually master here outside of your character ability? Where is the sense of progression? if you could play Solo I could get it, but being in a strict team of three - of which will usually define how well you do - seems to place it into the realm of randomess, no matter how much you play.

The gunplay feel great and is as super slick just like Titanfall 2 was, yet if you're properly playing to win you'll rarely fight anyone. I hope it makes them a ton of money and they can make something I can really get my teeth into again.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Played my first game last night, and we actually won. It was like my prior experience of BR though - skulk around building picking up stuff for a good 10 minutes before getting into 30 seconds or so of decent action before the game ends. This sort of gameplay just isn't my bag, in those same 10 minutes in a Titanfall 2 match I would have had about 3 HOLY SHIT moments. It's slick, it looks good, it's well made, but oh lord, this genre bores me to tears. Apart from it being free I just don't understand the popularity of BR shooters. To elaborate - I love Titanfall as you have to master the weapons, the movement, the mechs, and most crucially, the map design. Choke points, hot spots, movement opportunities, spawn points etc. In this and other BR games, there's one huge map with little to no choke points outside of the immediate drop or the very end. Fortnite has it's building systems which is an honest differentiator with a genuine skill gap, but what is there to actually master here outside of your character ability? Where is the sense of progression? if you could play Solo I could get it, but being in a strict team of three - of which will usually define how well you do - seems to place it into the realm of randomess, no matter how much you play.

The gunplay feel great and is as super slick just like Titanfall 2 was, yet if you're properly playing to win you'll rarely fight anyone. I hope it makes them a ton of money and they can make something I can really get my teeth into again.

As you get better at the genre and more familiar with the choke points you go looking for them and that skulking time decreases and the amount of time getting into fights increases. 

The fact you can skulk your way to second place or even victory is part of the appeal of the genre but far from the only way to play. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

in those same 10 minutes in a Titanfall 2 match I would have had about 3 HOLY SHIT moments

Unfortunately I'm finding that you'd only have about a minute of that as shooting in TF2 now as the waits to find servers are hitting upto 10 mins depending on time of day.

Aye, it's a shame, as peak TF2 I could play pretty much non stop all day. Still, maybe people will enjoy the weapons of Apex Legends enough to check Titanfall 2 out. I couldn't find the plasma LMG in the training section mind, though one of the characters is holding it on the title screen.

I'll definetely give it another punt, but I really hope they put a solo mode in soon though, even if just to learn the map without feeling like a massive dickhead who leaves the team at the start of every round.