Russian Doll - Netflix Groundhog Party

On 06/02/2019 at 13:40, deKay said:

Soundtrack (probably not official) is on Spotify if anyone is interested:

Couldn't see this in that playlist, one of the greatest songs of all time by one of the greatest bands of all time.

• Upvote 2

Finally finished this. I liked it but it never properly took off for me, like it kept hinting at things that were more interesting than what was actually happening.

It also suffered really badly from movie/TV logic whereby the characters involved make enormous leaps of logic based on nearly nothing in order to figure out the entire premise, explain it to the audience and eventually know exactly what they need to do to resolve it even though there is no particular rhyme or reason to it. 

It was still pretty fun easy watching though.

• Upvote 1

I watched all of this last night, and thought it was excellent.

the episode 3 elevator moment had me hooked and then the moment in the deli with the realization that they are not in the same timeline as each other this time was the best reveal I've seen in a very very long time, one of those ones that has your body do that weird tingle thing all over.

• Upvote 5

I stuck with it but this didn't really do it for me either. The last two episodes were the strongest but I didn't like or connect with any of the characters. The videogame stuff, though mainly incidental, was laughable. I fell asleep watching at least half of them and had to rewatch.

Two good things about it:

- short episodes

- uncle Paulie from Rocky was in it

This didn't really blow my socks off like some of you in here. I think it gets by on the sarky charisma and amazing hair of Natasha Lyonne. Even with he short episodes I thought it sagged a little bit after episode 3 or 4. Probably could have fit it all into six episodes. The ending was little bit "yeah, so what?" for me.

• 3 months later...

I read an interview that said they'd planted stuff in the first series that would make sense in a second series - so the second series was always planned so *should* work rather than feel tacked on.

6 hours ago, Sponge said:

That contradicts with an interview I read, which suggested they had made no plans whatsoever for a second season when they were writing it.

I'll see your second seasons and no plans and raise you three seasons.

Three years later, the pair brought on writer/director Headland, and the trio worked on the concept for two and a half years before pitching Russian Doll to Netflix as a three-season series. Headland describes that creative process as a "total mind-meld session" where she, Lyonne and Poehler would discuss their personal histories and collective dreams for telling a story about a female protagonist without having to worry if she is "likable" or if the story would sell. "We pitched Netflix three seasons of the most bonkers, heartfelt, passionate, this-is-what-we-truly-feel-like-is-our-story-to-tell idea," Headland tells THR. "And they said: 'Great, the more of that, the better. The more you guys this can be, the better. Here are the resources and the support — take off.'"

Hmm actually I think that was the one read too, I think the point I must've remembered from it was that they had nothing planned for anything after season 1, so not sure how they planted things in season 1...