rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Russian Doll - Netflix Groundhog Party

1 hour ago, Wizcat said:

Like I say, thankfully they start having a reason to break the cycle, but not until a good few episodes towards the end

Literally, the ending of the second or third episode foreshadows the reason she needs to break out of it...

by focusing on a rotten fruit bowl

9 hours ago, James Lyon said:

I never checked how many episodes this had, so this ended a little abruptly for me. I was expecting it to go a little deeper and I'm not a hundred percent sure exactly what they did to get to where they were in the last episode. Or was that just me? Think I need to rewatch it.

I think they could’ve explored more but as I understood it:

The reboots kept deteriorating while the characters were acting selfishly, the penultimate episode they figure out how to overcome this but then they’re stuck ruminating on a situation (nosebleeds) they have put behind them, in the final reboot they take this knowledge and re-apply it to their first night and save each other from self-destruction.

Any different readings, or more to it than that?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Literally, the ending of the second or third episode foreshadows the reason she needs to break out of it

Yes, but the protagonists show no awareness of the fruit situation until much later and fumble on trying to solve a situation that seems massively beneficial. 'You died. Try again'.

There is no logical reason given for why the character thought this was bad. Odd certainly, but not something you'd try to fix (presumably by making sure your death was final?) 

Really this is my only gripe with the concept in those early episodes

Can not stop thinking about this show today. Everything is incredible. Smart, funny, clever. The dialogue, especially Nadia's technobabble and putdowns. Nadia's hair!

I'm betting it's designed for a second watch too - spotting

Spoiler

things disappearing, characters met later appearing earlier, etc.

27 minutes ago, Minion said:

Wait what? She played Annie? Woah! Mind blown. 

Haha! No, sadly not. You'd think with that voice and hair though.

• Upvote 1

I too nearly bailed after two eps. Then I saw the elevator scene at the end of 3. Then I knew I was in the whole way.

I chose wisely. Fantastic telly. Very smart, funny and really well constructed. Stick with it people.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, jonamok said:

I too nearly bailed after two eps. Then I saw the elevator scene at the end of 3. Then I knew I was in the whole way.

Ditto. Really like this, don’t sleep folks.

I watched it all and it really grew on me.

With regards to the ending.

Spoiler

What was everyone's take on the homeless guy and that parade, animal heads and so on? I keep thinking there must be some symbolism there. 

On 06/02/2019 at 13:40, deKay said:

Soundtrack (probably not official) is on Spotify if anyone is interested:

Couldn't see this in that playlist, one of the greatest songs of all time by one of the greatest bands of all time.

• Upvote 2

Finally finished this. I liked it but it never properly took off for me, like it kept hinting at things that were more interesting than what was actually happening.

It also suffered really badly from movie/TV logic whereby the characters involved make enormous leaps of logic based on nearly nothing in order to figure out the entire premise, explain it to the audience and eventually know exactly what they need to do to resolve it even though there is no particular rhyme or reason to it. 

It was still pretty fun easy watching though.

• Upvote 1

Isn't that what the show was basically trying to say though, we're all trapped inside our own self imposed prisons, free yourself and let go. That's what I took away from it anyway.

• Upvote 3

I watched all of this last night, and thought it was excellent.

the episode 3 elevator moment had me hooked and then the moment in the deli with the realization that they are not in the same timeline as each other this time was the best reveal I've seen in a very very long time, one of those ones that has your body do that weird tingle thing all over.

• Upvote 5

I stuck with it but this didn't really do it for me either. The last two episodes were the strongest but I didn't like or connect with any of the characters. The videogame stuff, though mainly incidental, was laughable. I fell asleep watching at least half of them and had to rewatch.

Two good things about it:

- short episodes

- uncle Paulie from Rocky was in it

This didn't really blow my socks off like some of you in here. I think it gets by on the sarky charisma and amazing hair of Natasha Lyonne. Even with he short episodes I thought it sagged a little bit after episode 3 or 4. Probably could have fit it all into six episodes. The ending was little bit "yeah, so what?" for me.

I read an interview that said they'd planted stuff in the first series that would make sense in a second series - so the second series was always planned so *should* work rather than feel tacked on.

That contradicts with an interview I read, which suggested they had made no plans whatsoever for a second season when they were writing it.