rllmuk
Harsin

Russian Doll - Netflix Groundhog Party

Russian_Doll_promo_poster.png

This was released today on Netflix and has been getting good reviews. A lot of reviews say to go in as blind as possible, so I'll just relate the basic premise which is Groundhog Day at a birthday party, starring Natasha Lyonne of Orange is the New Black and American Pie fame.

I’ve only seen the first episode, thought it was pretty good. Had to search for it on Netflix though, and when I found it they'd labelled the category as TEEN. Believe me, even after just one episode this ain't a teenage CW style series.

• Upvote 1

Managed two episodes.  Not feeling it.  It feels too pleased with itself while the concept just feels like a rip off.  I *really* like Natasha Lyonne though.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JPickford said:

Managed two episodes.  Not feeling it.  It feels too pleased with itself while the concept just feels like a rip off.  I *really* like Natasha Lyonne though.

At the same place and feel the same. Has anyone taken a hit for the forum and watched further into the series ? 

I watched it all and loved it - one of the best things Netflix have done.

After 3 or 4 episodes

Spoiler

a second time-looping character comes in and that changes the feel of the whole thing. I loved the characters, the style of it, the music, the clothes - all of it. I hope more people watch because I'd like to see what other people think. 

The short episodes suited the structure and it didn't over stay it's welcome. 

• Upvote 3

Just binged this today with my flatmates. We all loved it! The main characters are super likeable, it explores some fairly dark themes but with a good bit of humour and there are loads of lovely little human moments. I didn't get the impression that it thought it was doing anything new and I thought it was pretty self-aware actually. I've seen most of the 'groundhog day' style of films and this still feels fresh to me. And yeah it's not teeny at all!

• Upvote 1

We finished this earlier. It was great! I really hope they don't make a second season for it, though. It works so well as a self contained thing. 

• Upvote 2

Watched a couple of episodes and it seems fine but I think I was maybe expecting a bit more based on the glowing reviews. The dialogue in particular seemed a bit contrived and self consciously clever.

It was entertaining enough though. Given it's only about 25 minutes per episode I'll almost definitely polish it off.

2 episodes in, it's alright but I'm not feeling it yet like some of you guys. I just find the dialogue, drug use, hipster music etc. a bit :rolleyes: 

Hopefully it gets better but there doesn't really seem to be much to it.

• Upvote 1

Watched 4 episodes of this so far and it’s great. Natasha Lyonne is superb; very funny, and incredibly likeable despite her many flaws. Episode 4 changed things up nicely, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

43 minutes ago, Stanley said:

2 episodes in, it's alright but I'm not feeling it yet like some of you guys. I just find the dialogue, drug use, hipster music etc. a bit :rolleyes: 

Hopefully it gets better but there doesn't really seem to be much to it.

Keep watching. :)

• Upvote 1

Watched the first two episodes, I shall continue soon. Although did think..

she managed to survive 36 years of her life with out dying and then all of a sudden she is dying constantly from silly things like falling down the stairs or into a open wine cellar. Also , what happens if she broke her neck or something? Maybe I am looking too much into it..

37 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Watched the first two episodes, I shall continue soon. Although did think..

Hide contents

she managed to survive 36 years of her life with out dying and then all of a sudden she is dying constantly from silly things like falling down the stairs or into a open wine cellar. Also , what happens if she broke her neck or something? Maybe I am looking too much into it..

I didn't see it as clumsiness:

I assumed it's basically fate/whatever's affecting her killing her off to force a reset. She could be as careful as possibly but still not make it to the next day.

Also she broke her neck every time she fell down the stairs, so there's your answer to that question. ;)

21 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I didn't see it as clumsiness:

Reveal hidden contents

I assumed it's basically fate/whatever's affecting her killing her off to force a reset. She could be as careful as possibly but still not make it to the next day.

Also she broke her neck every time she fell down the stairs, so there's your answer to that question. ;)

Yeah, i assumed it was fate that she was meant to keep dying/resetting. Also, i meant if she broke her neck and become paralysed or something.

Really enjoyed this, and the soundtrack is fantastic. The buildup of the mystery is more entertaining than the resolution, but still got a kick out of the various red herrings and Lyonne's performance

Holy crap. I watched the first two episodes of this and very nearly gave up on it. I didn't find the main character very likeable at all, and the concept seemed a bit hokey. 

Anyone else feeling similar thoughts, stick with it. It's impossible to explain without spoiling the whole thing, suffice it to say I did a complete 180 on my opinion by the end, and it's really only in this last two episodes that I could truly appreciate what has been created here

Very deceptive the way this all turns out, and one of the best things on Netflix right now

• Upvote 1

On 04/02/2019 at 23:06, Benny said:

People still can't get videogames right in TV.

Yeah, he seemed to be playing Tomb Raider and Gears of War at the same time.

I never checked how many episodes this had, so this ended a little abruptly for me. I was expecting it to go a little deeper and I'm not a hundred percent sure exactly what they did to get to where they were in the last episode. Or was that just me? Think I need to rewatch it.

Great series, though, and thankfully wasn't just Groundhog Day  with swearing. Natasha Lyonne's hair was a character in itself.

• Upvote 1

Groundhog day had a better concept. He really was stuck in a 24 hour cycle that you would want to break out of

In this though it seemed to me, why would you want to break out of this? Do whatever you want, but *if* you die you go back and get another chance? 

Like I say, thankfully they start having a reason to break the cycle, but not until a good few episodes towards the end