rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Treble

Fight Club is 20 years old

On 01/02/2019 at 12:26, linkster said:

I saw this in cinema on release back to back with The Sixth Sense

One of those movies I adore I've seen remarkably few times, I don't feel the need somehow, it's that good I can remember so much anyway

I completely understand this. One of my favourite movies of all time, yet I've watched it very few times. Just an incredibly influencial film on my life in so many ways.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

I really feel that the failure of the movie at the time was down to the marketing by Fox.

Was this film considered a failure? I remember it getting consistent good critical praise at the time.  Haven't watched it in a long time despite owning in DVD. It is a shame there hasn't been a 4k restoration. I guessed the twist at some point in the film but was still blown away at the time.

This and The Matrix were basically the films seeing me into adulthood. I would say that Fight Club has probably aged better. 

Favourite seen in Fight Club for me:

When they pull a gun on the convenience store guy and threaten him with death if he doesn't chase his initial ambition of becoming a vet.  

8 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Was this film considered a failure? I remember it getting consistent good critical praise at the time.  Haven't watched it in a long time despite owning in DVD. It is a shame there hasn't been a 4k restoration. I guessed the twist at some point in the film but was still blown away at the time.

This and The Matrix were basically the films seeing me into adulthood. I would say that Fight Club has probably aged better. 

Favourite seen in Fight Club for me:

When they pull a gun on the convenience store guy and threaten him with death if he doesn't chase his initial ambition of becoming a vet.  

£37m in the US from a production budget of around £63 seems like a flop. Looks like it made £11m in it's opening weekend and was the number 1 film in the US but then died a death. I cannot imagine the FOX execs being too happy with those figures.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=fightclub.htm

This from wiki too

The underwhelming North American performance of Fight Club soured the relationship between 20th Century Fox's studio head Bill Mechanic and media executive Rupert Murdoch, which contributed to Mechanic's resignation in June 2000.[64]

I remember something of that at the time, the American market didn’t take to it, was a bit too close to the bone. Just thought it was snooty anti American sentiment 

I remember mostly people not having any idea of what it was about, which worked for and against it. For a good while after its release whenever I mentioned it to people they responded by asking if it was "Just a movie about boxing". Fox at least did right by it come the DVD release, as someone there clearly knew they had a classic on their hands.

• Upvote 1

The DVD pack was spectacular. It’s one of the few I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of during the Great DVD Cull of 2017.

Also, wonderful film with a killer soundtrack. It’s brutal, stylish, and darkly funny. Went to see it at the cinema when I was 15, back when nobody cared about things like that.

People are mad to be claiming that their favourite scene is anything other than the one where Meatloaf's trousers accidentally fall down in the background.

• Upvote 2

It's tough, but my favourite scene has to be when Jack beats himself up in front of his boss. Seeing that the first time was so shocking, disgusting and funny. The confused horror on the boss's face. Jack slumped by the smashed coffee table, getting a couple more punches in. The way he whistles as he strolls out with all his stuff at the end, blood all over his shirt, surrounded by security. And then the VO line about it all reminding him of his first fight with Tyler, which you'd only get on second viewing. Genius.

• Upvote 4

Never watched this on cinema.  Then it came on VHS... and I never watched it then, cos the VHS tape was expensive.  Then it came out on DVD and that too was expensive (IIRC £25, when brand new releases were up to £19.99).   It was only when it was suitably ancient and came down to around £10 when I bought it.  Was mindblown!

My wife - who has the darkest sense of humour of anyone I know - was a little dubious of this. After the first five minutes she was in hysterical laughter in a good way. Definitely one of her favourites.

Top ten of all time for me.  Watched it countless times and as kerraig mentions, it was a glorious time for cinema.

Also, I really need this on my wall:

• Upvote 2

On 01/02/2019 at 12:42, barkbat said:

@Treble None of the issues it tackles have been resolved, if anything society has become even worse.

Due to 9/11, unfortunately. The revolution was indefinitely postponed. 

9 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Top ten of all time for me.  Watched it countless times and as kerraig mentions, it was a glorious time for cinema.

Also, I really need this on my wall:

That art is amazing.

I watched it on New Year's Day in the early 2000s - a mate brought it over to show me, I knew nothing about it at all.

I was horribly hungover, depressed due to having dropped my wallet somewhere on the previous night and feeling alone and worthless. This movie made everything feel better. "You are not the contents of your wallet".

I can't imagine a more perfect scenario to have watched it in. Incidentally I did call out the twist before it was revealed, but without really expecting to be right. When it actually happened I was still amazed.

edit - actually there are only two movies in my life that have had a profound effect on me, this is one obviously - the other is Big Fish. I'll never watch the latter again, I don't need to. Fight Club also left it's indelible mark but I would like to watch it again.

• Upvote 2

On 06/02/2019 at 09:50, Smoothy said:

Never watched this on cinema.  Then it came on VHS... and I never watched it then, cos the VHS tape was expensive.  Then it came out on DVD and that too was expensive (IIRC £25, when brand new releases were up to £19.99).   It was only when it was suitably ancient and came down to around £10 when I bought it.  Was mindblown!

Those were the glory days of the home video format. A generational leap in picture quality and discs absolutely packed with quality extras. What a time for film lovers who wanted to get a proper insight into the mechanics of how these films were made. We won't see its like again.

• Upvote 1

I remember seing this at the cinema. I didnt know anything about it, but as soon as the opening credits started rolling and Dust Brothers started blasting I knew it was special.