rllmuk
Treble

Fight Club is 20 years old

Oddly enough i picked up the audio book recently, never having read the source material. And it made me appreciate the film so much more.

I think this and lock stock are Pitt's best performances. just superb. 

I saw this in cinema on release back to back with The Sixth Sense

One of those movies I adore I've seen remarkably few times, I don't feel the need somehow, it's that good I can remember so much anyway

It’s like we’ve been in some sort of cultural stasis, the film still feels contemporary to me. I think that’s a statement on the quality of modern cinema and the decline of subversive, biting media from the 90’s to the safe and bland pop culture we live in today.

It might be argued the film predicted the existence of the alt-right

@Treble It's everything you say and more. It's style and sass and brilliant storytelling (that twist) hit me like a love brick and I became obsessed with it in my late teens. Listened to the soundtrack. Got the screenplay. Watched the DVD repeatedly. Tried to write a short that was basically just taking all the things I loved about it! I still think it's amazing, certainly one of the best screenplays of modern Hollywood. Tyler Durden is still one of the greatest anti-heroes I can think off. The use of Voice Over and third-wall breaking vignettes is still cutting edge. The Dust Brothers soundtrack is still amazing. The politics is just as biting. None of the issues it tackles have been resolved, if anything society has become even worse.

I love it basically. Still, 20 years on. Thanks for the thread. Scary how time flies.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I think this and lock stock are Pitt's best performances

Snatch. Unless you mean Brad Pitt not appearing in a movie other than Fight Club is a good move from him, in which case as you were.

A high point in a sea of high points. This was a real golden age of cinema. David Fincher, The Wachowskis, Spike Jonze, Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry, David O Russell, Wes Anderson, M Night Shyamalan, Coen Brothers etc all firing on all cylinders.

• Upvote 9

It was also around the time DVD started taking over for home viewing, I recall it being one of my first DVDs

To save everybody the time who are easily suggestible by the thread, its not on sky to watch free, or netflix, but is included with Amazon Prime.

Loved this when I first saw it - a few years after it's original release and re-watched it the other week when it was on the TV and still think it's great. 

Some of my favourite films are from 1999; The Matrix, Office Space, Payback, Iron Giant, Toy Story 2, South Park, Ghost Dog, American Beauty, Pushing Tin, Dogma, Mystery Men, American Pie, 10 Things I Hate About You, Never Been Kissed.. 

One of my favourite films. I watched it at the cinema on a weekday afternoon on a whim, knowing nothing about it and assuming that it was a film about Brad Pitt punching people. And it was an incredible experience.

I posted this scene in the 'your favourite scene' thread - it really is perfect in every way and is just buried in the film:

• Upvote 3

I still maintain that

Helena Bonham Carter is just another part of his personality. As far as I can remember she doesn't interact with anyone else in the film (except Brad Pitt, and even then that's off screen). The scene where she crosses the road without looking and just misses all the traffic is what swung it for me. She wasn't there!

But it's a great film regardless of whether my head-canon is correct.

• Upvote 2

I saw it in the cinema back in good old '99 and yeah. I didn't really get it. Well I got it, but it didn't resonate with me particularly as a 20 year old stoner still swanning around without a care in the world. Norton's character just seemed weird. Could not empathise with it. Saw it again a few years later and enjoyed it more. I have vague memories of reading the book at some point too.

It's alright.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

I still maintain that

Hide contents

Helena Bonham Carter is just another part of his personality. As far as I can remember she doesn't interact with anyone else in the film (except Brad Pitt, and even then that's off screen). The scene where she crosses the road without looking and just misses all the traffic is what swung it for me. She wasn't there!

Doesn't she...

Spoiler

Get paid for the clothes she stole from the drier with Jack watching?

I love the opening. One of my favourites; both the journey through the brain and the speed-of-thought trip around the bombs.

• Upvote 2

Lost count of the number of times I’ve watched it, and every time it’s thrillingly perfect. Jumped immediately into my all-time top ten and has stayed there for twenty years.

3 hours ago, Darren said:

I still maintain that

Hide contents

Love the theory, but it doesn't quite work.

The scene where

Spoiler

she takes an overdose and then calls Jack, and then Tyler goes to 'rescue her' - it can't all be the same person. You'd have to have Jack renting his condo, becoming Tyler during bouts of insomnia and finding the squat, and also renting Marla's apartment. Plus when the Police try to break in they say her name. I know the rules are woolly about how much is hallucination (Tyler stealing the car for example) and you could claim the whole sequence is one big hallucination, but then you could just claim everything is Jack. Still - great theory! Most scenes it is just her and him and it made me think.

• Upvote 2

Ah right, @Commander Jameson @barkbat, that proves me wrong. I think what made me think about it in the first place was when they’re coming and going in the house but they only appear when the other is gone. So even before the big reveal I was thinking “those two are the same person!” But never mind...

It's one of those films I wish I could erase from my memory in order to watch it with fresh eyes each time, it had such an impact on me as a young lad.

I still use 'going to my cave' to help control my anxiety :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I didn't even know what Ikea was when i saw it.

Me neither, but aside from one ghastly new year spent at an awful party where people knew the exact cost of the furniture in the hosts house it had everything to do with me to date never setting a single foot in one 

• Upvote 2

Narrator: We have just lost cabin pressure.

Penny didn't drop with me until that point the first time. Remember my head spinning at it.

Saw this at the cinema in 1999, with a friend who really wanted to see it and couldn't find anyone to go with.  I'd never heard of the film, or the book, didn't know anything about it, and purely went because I had nothing else to do that night.  Oh my God what a film.  One of the best films I've ever seen, an amazing film to experience when you don't know anything about it, and as already said, a great era for cinema. You just don't seem to get films like this in cinemas any more, it's all Marvel DC Star Wars nonsense.

Watched at my local cinema with a bunch of friends from college and I remember we all left the cinema that night not quite knowing what we had watched, but knew we'd watched something special. 

I also remember hearing many, many people calling the film out as one of the worst ever, etc, etc, but I couldn't wrap my head around that idea at all. 

I have since seen it more times than I can recall and it just feels as fresh today as it did the first time. A true modern masterpiece and quite frankly one of my favourite movies of all time. 

One of my fave films, it's one of the few I've watched with director's commentary.

I've got it sat in my iTunes Library but am patiently waiting for a 4K HDR/DV upgrade before watching again, but this thread has me itching to watch it soon.

I really feel that the failure of the movie at the time was down to the marketing by Fox. I was a fan of Fincher but I felt the  film was marketed as more of a boxing movie and not the dark, subversive movie it really was and so I did not see it at the cinema. It was only when it came out on DVD that a friend watched it and was raving about it that I gave it a go and loved every minute. I still kick myself that I have yet to see it on the big screen.

• Upvote 2

Not sure how Fox could market a film that is about a man trying to break free of capitalism due to having a split personality.