The Suicide Squad - James Gunn now confirmed to write and Direct - Summer 2021

Goose

One whole point better than Wonder Woman 1984 according to them then.

Wonder Woman 1984 is a film with a heart full of hope and love; a nostalgic look back to a beloved time that provides escapism from an exceptionally difficult year

A notable improvement on its already great predecessor, Wonder Woman 1984 is exactly the kind of bright and hopeful movie the character’s legacy deserves.

Imagine how much better the DC Universe would've been if they gave the reigns to anyone other than Snyder. 

Might go see this at the weekend. Been a fan of Gunn since Slither and he hasn't let me down yet (apart from Super I suppose).

I can’t think of another series where the first movie was garbage, the second was a total flop, but the studio know they have such an iconic character in Robbie’s Harley that they keep throwing hundreds of millions of quids at productions until they get it right.

Ive got another week off so I'm planning on seeing this Monday. Can't wait tbh. Reviews are fantastic. Not that I had any doubt in Gunn. 

Rewatched Slither recently and it's still great. 

Just caught an early morning screening of this and like the above post, absolutely loved it. 

Idris Elba is really really good in it. I'd put it up there with Stringer Bell and Luther as roles that are a lot better because of his involvement. Everyone's great though and the opening sequence is such a massive crowd pleaser that sets the theme and tone of the film up a million times better than two hours twenty minutes of the other film got anywhere near. It's everything you'd expect from a Gunn movie but it's not just splatter and swearing, there's a heart to it too and it flirts with making some interesting political points at times. But mostly it's just really really good fun and feels like much more of a comic book movie than anything else I've seen Warners/DC do for a long time. It feels totally like it's own thing and shows much more of its director's personality than anything I've seen in Superhero movies for a while, including Gunn's own Marvel efforts. 

My favourite DC movie since The Dark Knight, which admittedly isn't saying a huge amount but I'd put it above a lot of of Marvel's output in that same time period too. 

5 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Saw it this afternoon . Pretty good . Not gotg good but pretty good . 

But which Gotg? The pretty good first film or the pretty poor Gotg2?

That was pretty good. It's surprisingly brutal and moves at quite a lick right from the off. 

Amanda Waller is absolutely stone cold. 

It's also a very efficient film. It has a lot of characters but knows who it wants to focus on, and uses a few scenes for each to draw them effectively. 

8 hours ago, Gambit said:

This was pretty good. A little long, which is every comic book movie, but enjoyed it.

Surprised by the 97% Rotten Tomatoes score. I mean, it's not THAT good.

RT isn't calculated like a normal score, it's either positive or negative only, so this film has 97% of reviews being classified as positive currently.

The Tomatometer score represents the percentage of professional critic reviews that are positive for a given film or television show. A Tomatometer score is calculated for a movie or TV show after it receives at least five reviews.

If it has managed that on a normal scoring site like IMDb or MC, then that would be impressive. It's currently at 8.1 on IMDb with relatively few votes and 77 on Metacritic so good, but not amazingly so which reflects the impressions that seem to be posted here in aggregate so far too.

Been to see it this evening and it is great.

20 minutes too long maybe, but other than that nothing bad to say about it at all.  Very funny as well, I laughed out loud in the cinema at least 5 times.

Well worth your time.

It wasn’t too long, but there was a lot more down time than I was expecting. Time that should be used for character development and I just wasn’t feeling it.

Better than the other one, but I didn’t walk out thinking James Gunn had saved the state of things.

Very inventive but too long. Was ready for it to end by the final big fight. 

Spoiler

Back to back homages/references/rip offs in the middle was like a video shop compilation. Last Boy Scouts cigarette/touch me again i'll kill ya followed quickly by Lethal Weapons hanging torture legs around neck snap then into Day of the Deads autopsy scene straight into Suspirias heart penetration shot... Pretty bold idea appropriation going on there.

On 01/08/2021 at 22:43, Delargey said:

Oh, well if you can get past the outlandish characters they're good fun.

The last Marvel movie I managed to get through was Infinity War. I've seen about half of Endgame. I watched that half one night then decided to watch the other half the next night. By the next night I couldn't be arsed.

I remember thinking the first GOTG trailer looked like a load of old shite too.

It ain't easy being a miserable cunt.

11 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

The last Marvel movie I managed to get through was Infinity War. I've seen about half of Endgame. I watched that half one night then decided to watch the other half the next night. By the next night I couldn't be arsed.

I remember thinking the first GOTG trailer looked like a load of old shite too.

It ain't easy being a miserable cunt.

You remind me of my brother who can't handle fantasy at all and just finds it immensely dull and boring, particularly when CGI wades in.

Sample quote when leaving a screening of The Matrix: "That wouldn't happen".

3 hours ago, Festoon said:

You remind me of my brother who can't handle fantasy at all and just finds it immensely dull and boring, particularly when CGI wades in.

Sample quote when leaving a screening of The Matrix: "That wouldn't happen".

Nope. I'm someone who used to religiously buy Starbust magazine, The Dark Side and Shivers when in my teens and well into my twenties. Big fantasy, sci-fi and horror fan.

My only concern is Gunn's inability to dial things back, which is why I'm wary of people talking about how funny it is. For me the biggest problem with Guardians 2 was his insistence on pushing almost every joke past its punchline, killing the subtlety and sharpness that worked so beautifully in the first. I think with a "Go crazy" mandate he'll just turn everything to 11 and hope that force of will overrides stuff like plot, character and tone.