rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Suicide Squad 2 - James Gunn now confirmed to write and Direct - Summer 2021

On the heals of The Batman release date announcement comes the confirmation that James Gunn will now write and direct the Suicide Squad sequel. Plenty of names had been thrown into the hat including Mel Gibson. 

No word on who will return but the Harley Quinn spin off may lead directly on to this sequel. I imagine most of the main cast had sequel clauses in their contracts. 

The first film made $746M from a budget estimated to be at $175M.

There's something to say about them choosing the director of GotG.  The marketing of Suicide Squad rather desperately tried to capture the feel it.  Not quite sure what though.

Is the title meant to be that way?

Be interesting to see what Gunn can do with it, assuming he's being given full creative control, which unless WB are idiots (they might be ;) ) would be the correct thing to do. Revenge is a dish best served by going to your former employer's direct competitor and hitting it out of the park.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, mushashi said:

Is the title meant to be that way?

Be interesting to see what Gunn can do with it, assuming he's being given full creative control, which unless WB are idiots (they might be ;) ) would be the correct thing to do. Revenge is a dish best served by going to your former employer's direct competitor and hitting it out of the park.

As much as I enjoy the MCU I hope he does. I hope this is brilliant, earns loads of money and is a massive two fingers to Disney for pulling the trigger on firing him so quick and giving in to far right lunatics

• Upvote 2

I think WB might have actually turned the corner on the whole DCEU idea and now will provide actual competition to Disney for comic book movies. I might actually watch one of these DCEU films now.

The whole Disney/alt-right bollocks left a bad taste, especially as the stuff he got fired for was already known by them before they hired him in the first place. At least other directors employed by Disney got the message and covered themselves from the assholes.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Goose said:

No word on who will return but the Harley Quinn spin off may lead directly on to this sequel. I imagine most of the main cast had sequel clauses in their contracts. 

Rumours suggest a whole new cast is planned. Although I bet Harley will be in it.

On 01/02/2019 at 08:15, Broker said:

Rumours suggest a whole new cast is planned. Although I bet Harley will be in it.

Harley will be in it. And Smith’s deadshot confirmed to be out due to scheduling. 

On 28/02/2019 at 10:22, JohnC said:

And Smith’s deadshot confirmed to be out due to scheduling. 

Hooray! As bad as the first Suicide Squad was - and it was atrocious -  Will Smith still managed to be one of the very worst things in it. Gunn in, Smith out - promising!

8 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

He is little old to be John Stewart now.

He's too old to be James Bond too but doesn't stop people going on and on about it

• Upvote 2

DC producer Peter Safran says this won't be Suicide Squad 2. It's a reboot, not a sequel, and will be called The Suicide Squad.

• Upvote 1

On 18/03/2019 at 13:03, JohnC said:

DC producer Peter Safran says this won't be Suicide Squad 2. It's a reboot, not a sequel, and will be called The Suicide Squad.

What?! With a new Deadshot? Will it tie to their other movies? What about Margot Robbie?!? What?!

On 18/03/2019 at 13:03, JohnC said:

Even though 2 actors are reprising their role. What is this film?

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Does Gunn have a thing for wrestlers? He's bringing John Cena to this.

to be fair the biggest action movie star in the world right now came from wrestling. Again they should actually make this a Secret Six movie and he can play Bane :D 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Even though 2 actors are reprising their role. What is this film?

IMDB has Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney, Viola Davis and (sigh) Jared Leto listed. Maybe they'll redeem themselves but if Leto really is back then I'm curious about how different his Joker will be.

Contrary to the previous post, it seems Steve Agee is playing King Shark. Also, Daniela Melchior as Ratcatcher, David Dastmalchian as Polka-Dot Man and Nathan Fillion in an undisclosed role. He's got form for voicing Green Lantern in animation several times, but maybe that would be reading too much into things.