rllmuk
JohnC

The Boys - Amazon superhero show

Finished the series last night and enjoyed the vast majority of it. The first episode was a real attention grabber as the basic setup was put in place and even though later episodes didn't have the same level of shock value they all maintained a real edge which I enjoyed. I know the grim nature of the world should put this series more in line with the DC films but I ended up feeling it was a bit more Marvel-esque as it maintained a healthier humour balance. 

Spoiler

-The airplane scene was incredible. Homelander was such a spectacular bastard. 

-The support group scene with the Ice Princess talk made me wince. :o

-I doubt the Becca-Homelander relationship was consensual. Maybe I just don't have enough experience of shagging at work but surely if it was consensual her clothes would have been tidier leaving the room? 

-Soundtrack was great. One downside of watching on a service like Prime is that it tries to jump to the next episode so you miss the credits music which was normally great. You don't often hear a ducks favourite musician so its a shame to skip over it when you get the chance. 

-I liked Hughie. Seems to have gotten a mixed reaction which is odd to me.

-Hard to judge Deeps character arc yet. Making him pathetic once he was taken out of the seven sets up the possibility of him becoming threat to Annie if he blames all his woes on her. That could be interesting. 

-The final sequence with Stillwell was very well done. Her panic once she wasn't in control for a change really heightened the tension.

-I'd be a bad critic. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bear said:

Finished the series last night and enjoyed the vast majority of it. The first episode was a real attention grabber as the basic setup was put in place and even though later episodes didn't have the same level of shock value they all maintained a real edge which I enjoyed. I know the grim nature of the world should put this series more in line with the DC films but I ended up feeling it was a bit more Marvel-esque as it maintained a healthier humour balance. 

Hide contents

-The airplane scene was incredible. Homelander was such a spectacular bastard. 

-The support group scene with the Ice Princess talk made me wince. :o

-I doubt the Becca-Homelander relationship was consensual. Maybe I just don't have enough experience of shagging at work but surely if it was consensual her clothes would have been tidier leaving the room? 

-Soundtrack was great. One downside of watching on a service like Prime is that it tries to jump to the next episode so you miss the credits music which was normally great. You don't often hear a ducks favourite musician so its a shame to skip over it when you get the chance. 

-I liked Hughie. Seems to have gotten a mixed reaction which is odd to me.

-Hard to judge Deeps character arc yet. Making him pathetic once he was taken out of the seven sets up the possibility of him becoming threat to Annie if he blames all his woes on her. That could be interesting. 

-The final sequence with Stillwell was very well done. Her panic once she wasn't in control for a change really heightened the tension.

-I'd be a bad critic. 

On the website, you can turn off the ‘immediately play next episode’ thing. It’s in settings somewhere, and applies to all your devices.

• Upvote 2

I thought this was ok but I'm not sure I liked it enough to watch more seasons of it.

Spoiler

The last few shows I've watched have been Netflix Marvel shows and Stranger Things so I was a bit surprised/disappointed that this ended on a cliffhanger that raised questions instead of answering them. I didn't really feel like there was an end of season payoff.

Not sure I have the patience for cliffhanger "find out next season or whenever the show gets cancelled, maybe" endings anymore. Definitely get the sense this could get dragged out for too long.

38 minutes ago, partious said:

I thought this was ok but I'm not sure I liked it enough to watch more seasons of it.

Hide contents

The last few shows I've watched have been Netflix Marvel shows and Stranger Things so I was a bit surprised/disappointed that this ended on a cliffhanger that raised questions instead of answering them. I didn't really feel like there was an end of season payoff.

Not sure I have the patience for cliffhanger "find out next season or whenever the show gets cancelled, maybe" endings anymore. Definitely get the sense this could get dragged out for too long.

It was 8 eps, if I remember correctly? I thought that counted massively in its favour for me. Some of the Netflix Marvel shows I managed to finish could have shed half a seasons worth of tedium, in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, DC said:

It was 8 eps, if I remember correctly? I thought that counted massively in its favour for me. Some of the Netflix Marvel shows I managed to finish could have shed half a seasons worth of tedium, in my opinion.

Yes, 8 episodes. I agree that some of the Marvel shows had a lot of bloat within the seasons but I liked that the seasons themselves were pretty self contained in terms of resolving the main storylines they set up etc.

Just finished this last night and now that I've had time to think about it, while it was pretty good, there were some things that bugged me.

For what I presume is a major series for Amazon Prime, at times it felt really, really cheap. Lots of close up shots at major events (like the concert or the race) to hide that there are only 50 or so extras, close up outdoors shots to hide the fact that it's not filmed in New York (it was clearly Toronto, sticking random NYC taxi cabs behind the characters doesn't mean it looks like New York City, just like how sticking some yellow buses doesn't make Milton Keynes look like Metropolis in Superman IV!) and occasionally average CGI. If you're going for the superhero genre and trying to ape DC or Marvel films, it should look at least close to them (the costume designs were not bad, though).

One thing that did strike me as I was watching it was "why are all these people using Sony phones? Nobody uses a Sony phone these days!" Then when I finally saw the credits after the last episode (because Amazon auto skips them) then I realised it was produced by Sony Television. The good old Sony thing of having everyone using a Sony device for product placement! I'm not sure of the production background, but it did make me think that a pilot was made, it was then shopped around and only Amazon were interested, which might explain the whole lower budget thing.

Too many character arcs that weren't developed enough (or weren't very well written)

Spoiler

What was the main story arc for the series, was it Billy Butcher- his wife- Homelander or was it Hughie - Robin - A Train? While I guess there's supposed to be some sort of ironic justice for Billy finding out that his wife is alive and Homelander didn't rape her (and she's got an 8 year old son from him) while Hughie saved A-Train's life, it didn't feel like it was very well communicated. Especially with so much stuff going on in the last two episodes with the likes of super terrorists being randomly brought into the story(more on that later). 

The minor characters got some interesting development, but they pretty much went absolutely nowhere. The Deep eventually being raped (I guess having your gills fingered in a non-consensual way is rape) so he shaves his hair off to REM, Queen Maeve having to hide she's a lesbian and being conflicted with what Homelander does but then doesn't really do anything about it, Simon Pegg looking really old. For all the characters being brought in, again it felt like the development was a bit half arsed. Certainly very different to how something like Mad Men developed the minor characters.

The ending was a bit rubbish and the overall series conclusion wasn't great, especially the last two episodes felt like they were re-written because they'd been told a second series was being commissioned.

Spoiler

So the Boys have managed to get the Compound V, they've got the evidence that it's being used in babies to make super heroes (so they're not natural), meaning Vought are now going down and especially Elizabeth Shue's character is the actual villain of the story. But that's casually forgotten about because all of a sudden there's super terrorists, with literally a phone call from the FBI director saying "sorry, but because these super terrorists have appeared, you're back on the run again. for one episode." That should have been the setup at the start of the second series, not some shitty sort of storyline that isn't actually developed any further. (Wait, what is it The Boys are trying to stop? ) 

Compare it to something like Breaking Bad (maybe not fair) or even the first series of Westworld, where each series is it's own self contained overall story arc. It's satisfying to get a conclusion to the story. In this case, it genuinely felt like they tacked on another two or so episodes because Amazon commissioned a second series and what is that all about, making sure people keep their Amazon Prime subscriptions. You don't want to miss the second series of The Boys, but you'll have to make sure you renew your Amazon Prime subscription to see it!

God, I hope this isn't like a new way of TV programs being written. All about the customer retention so every series has some crappy unfinished story arc.

I've never read the original source material, so I don't know if it's similar (or not), but like I said I think overall it was quite good but unfortunately the ending, on reflection, feels a bit poor (and the last two episodes are all over the place). 

I've only got a 6 month free subscription to Amazon Prime Video, a second series wouldn't be a reason for me to pay for it.

• Downvote 9

2 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

If you're going for the superhero genre and trying to ape DC or Marvel films, it should look at least close to them

They weren't. At all. Some of the music riffed on Marvel, but that was very deliberate. 

2 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

"why are all these people using Sony phones? Nobody uses a Sony phone these days!"

People who don't need massive tablets next to their head use them. Like myself. I love my Sony compact phone. :P

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thor said:

People who don't need massive tablets next to their head use them. Like myself. I love my Sony compact phone. :P

The thing that made me really notice it was Sony phones was when someone in the last episode (I think) answered their phone and it was a massive Sony smart phone, except... it used the Marimba iPhone ring tone (unless it was my imagination). 

Here's someone playing it. On a real Marimba.

• Downvote 1

Goran Visnjic is joining season 2. The charismatic leader of a mysterious church, Alistair Adana. His Timeless castmate Claudia Doumit is also joining as a congresswoman, Victoria Neuman. I understand there's a Victor Neuman in the comic, but she is more than a gender-swapped version of the same character.

I finished this at the weekend as I didn't want to rush it ( I have no idea why people think "binging" a tv show is a good idea)

I thought it was brilliant, but not really The Boys. It's a very loose adaptation of one of my favourite comics of all time. Taken as its own thing however, it's brilliant with an amazing cast. And that ending, just amazing. 

I watched it over the weekend, and loved it. Homelander and Billy Butcher are soooo good in this.

That plane scene actually felt uncomfortable to watch for me.... what a delicious prick he is.

Other highlights include the Dolphin scene, anything with Homelander in, oh, and Billy Butcher Smashing the kid out of the Sixth Sense's head in.

Fantastic television.

On 17/08/2019 at 18:58, Camel said:

Fuck me, Urban's accent is so distracting.

Bad accents are currently ruining everything for me. 

Idris Elba doing a shit southern American accent in Prometheus despite being able to do a solid Baltimore accent, not that the characters Americanness was at all important to the character. The two Australians in Pacific Rim (this might be the worst one ever), urban from this was pretty bad, but much much much worse was Simon Pegg's American accent I wanted to his myself a kick in the balls every time he opened his mouth. 

Show is unwatchable because of it. 

I don't get why casting people do this. Just get someone else to do the part or have them do the part in either their own accent or any other they can do passably well. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

Bad accents are currently ruining everything for me. 

Idris Elba doing a shit southern American accent in Prometheus despite being able to do a solid Baltimore accent, not that the characters Americanness was at all important to the character. The two Australians in Pacific Rim (this might be the worst one ever), urban from this was pretty bad, but much much much worse was Simon Pegg's American accent I wanted to his myself a kick in the balls every time he opened his mouth. 

Show is unwatchable because of it. 

I don't get why casting people do this. Just get someone else to do the part or have them do the part in either their own accent or any other they can do passably well. 

Pegg is a bit of stunt casting as Hughie was based on him in the comic. He's not in it much so it's not a massive distraction for me. 

Butcher's accent though - I personally think it is fantastically daft. A true performance for the ages. 

• Upvote 4

I’m not a ‘fan’ of the source material, but I got the first volume free on Kindle a couple of weeks ago and bought the second one (Russian story) and enjoyed both so I watched the first ep - or at least I’m about halfway in.

The whole thing seems a bit flat to me, doesn’t really seem to have the wit of the book (or what there was anyway)...must admit it’s vaguely interesting but also been a bit boring so far! Does it pick up the pace?

• Downvote 4

24 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Come on now, when is a series ever at its best in the first episode? 

Ozark?

But stick with it, ZOK! It definitely gets better.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

I’m not a ‘fan’ of the source material, but I got the first volume free on Kindle a couple of weeks ago and bought the second one (Russian story) and enjoyed both so I watched the first ep - or at least I’m about halfway in.

The whole thing seems a bit flat to me, doesn’t really seem to have the wit of the book (or what there was anyway)...must admit it’s vaguely interesting but also been a bit boring so far! Does it pick up the pace?

Have you got to the plane bit or the evangelical Christian bit? Not sure which episodes.